• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Ban in Albuquerque High Schools Fails Vote

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyciol

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many otaku this news article inspired to go out and buy a death note and make Bieber their first entry?
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Justin Beiber...? Why, dear God, why...

Seriously, if you have enough time to make a Death Note, put all of your "enemies" in said note, and vow that those people will "rue the day they bullied/teased/picked on me," then you've got enough time to go talk to a respectable adult, teacher, counselor, or even your parents about the bullying. As for Justin Beiber...well we all know that his fame is short lived and, like people in this forum have said, once his fans hit puberty it's the fame guillotine for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
chrisb wrote:
If you hurt yourself you need help, if you have intention to hurt someone you need help and there needs to be correct punishment.

So people that pray for the death of Obama should be jailed?
Wanting the death of someone is different than having intent to do it yourself.

If a person has any intent of actually murdering Obama, any president, or any human being, then then yes, something needs to be done.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:

And yet Death Note was originally published in a magazine for children / teenagers. No wonder the world hates us if adults in our country aren't emotionally or intellectually capable of appreciating the fine points of a Japanese childrens' comic.

Well, in Japan, they don't usually Columbine/Virginia Tech/Timothy McVeigh each other. The U.S. has a violence culture, like gangsta rap. Japan doesn't have gangsta rap - it's not in their culture.

SerenaHavoc1013 wrote:

Unfortunately people like this committee are basing their judgment of the series on short summaries they finds on the internet and not for what it is as a whole - good vs evil (with good triumphing in the end). What's even worse is that these teenagers, who should be able to draw a defined line between right and wrong (as well as fantasy and reality) are defacing Ohba Tsugumi, Obata Takeshi, and every DN fan. Their stupidity is the reason for bans such as this and why Adult Swim dropped the show after only a year.

What ban? Did you read the article? And Adult Swim couldn't care less about dropping the show about bans.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
When will this end? I feel bad for Viz Media and Tasugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. People are willing to blame Death Note for any little hitlist that is found. Hitlists have been made for years, and the people who make them need help. If they get that help, problem solved. They need to stop punishing people who need help, and punish the bullies who are making them write hitlists or in Death Note notebooks.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
chrisb wrote:
If you hurt yourself you need help, if you have intention to hurt someone you need help and there needs to be correct punishment.

So people that pray for the death of Obama should be jailed?
Wanting the death of someone is different than having intent to do it yourself.

If a person has any intent of actually murdering Obama, any president, or any human being, then then yes, something needs to be done.

Well, yeah. People who believe in the power of prayer are convinced that their actions will result in consequences; people like
this guy should then be prosecuted for attempted murder. But they aren't. And America's youth is drawing controversy for fanfiction? Talk about priorities.
SerenaHavoc1013

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

SerenaHavoc1013 wrote:

Unfortunately people like this committee are basing their judgment of the series on short summaries they finds on the internet and not for what it is as a whole - good vs evil (with good triumphing in the end). What's even worse is that these teenagers, who should be able to draw a defined line between right and wrong (as well as fantasy and reality) are defacing Ohba Tsugumi, Obata Takeshi, and every DN fan. Their stupidity is the reason for bans such as this and why Adult Swim dropped the show after only a year.

What ban? Did you read the article? And Adult Swim couldn't care less about dropping the show about bans.

I talking about the ban that was PROPOSED. Yes, it was overturned by the committee, but if you note at the bottom of the second paragraph it does state "Eddie Soto, the district's associate superintendent for secondary education, will make the final decision on the manga." Therefore it could still be banned by the district.
I guess should also clarify about the AS reference. If you re-read what I said, it's not the bans that made them drop the show it's the kids with death notes in school. The show ran for 2 years (earlier I said one, my mistake) and the airing license ran out. Since the show was so popular the network could have easily renewed the license and reran the show 100 times like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc. However the show spawned bad publicity and became a risk. From a marketing standpoint, it's just easier to drop it and invest in a new show that may or may not be as popular. Which is exactly what they did.
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
Most of the controversy revolves around elementary to 9th graders. -_____- figures...

Honestly though, Death Note isn't just about Light killing people with a notebook. It's much deeper than that. Before trying to get a book banned, research more thoroughly or try reading it U.U

My friends and I made deathnotes and we jokingly write in stuff. Like (insert name) got hit by a seagull flying at 75mph on a windy sunday or something like that. We even made Debu notes (check out the parody on youtube). Some people use it to vent out, kinda like a journal.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
SerenaHavoc1013 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

SerenaHavoc1013 wrote:

I talking about the ban that was PROPOSED. Yes, it was overturned by the committee,

"Unfortunately people like this committee are basing their judgment of the series on short summaries they finds on the internet and not for what it is as a whole - good vs evil (with good triumphing in the end)."

So.... this committee.......... "who are basing their judgment of the series on short summaries they find on the internet"........... voted (not overturned - there was nothing to overturn - it was just a proposal) unanimously against a proposed district-wide ban on the manga............. You're blaming the committee? Confused

SerenaHavoc1013 wrote:

but if you note at the bottom of the second paragraph it does state "Eddie Soto, the district's associate superintendent for secondary education, will make the final decision on the manga." Therefore it could still be banned by the district.

Or it could still be not, so until if that happens, let's not go overboard.

SerenaHavoc1013 wrote:

I guess should also clarify about the AS reference. If you re-read what I said, it's not the bans that made them drop the show it's the kids with death notes in school. The show ran for 2 years (earlier I said one, my mistake) and the airing license ran out. Since the show was so popular the network could have easily renewed the license and reran the show 100 times like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc. However the show spawned bad publicity and became a risk. From a marketing standpoint, it's just easier to drop it and invest in a new show that may or may not be as popular. Which is exactly what they did.

That's still not it neither. AS is just all about business, publicity and all - anyone remember the ATHF movie ad stunt fiasco in Boston? AS doesn't drop Death Note just because of death notes in school, a relatively tiny publicity at that. The reruns were just not as popular.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
Speaking as a teacher, when in doubt, report it. Otherwise, it may come back to bite you.

Do you feel no obligation to determine why a child acted the way he or she did before reporting it? Are you that confident in your school administration's ability to handle students' emotional issues? Or is this simply the (understandable) desire to avoid being sued if something goes horribly wrong?

Kids have been wishing that their "enemies" would die (often horribly) since time immemorial. This isn't a result of Death Note, nor will removing Death Note from our schools and culture eliminate these wishes.

Once again we seem far too willing as a society these days to punish people for thoughts rather than actions. I grew up as the McCarthy/HUAC period was drawing to a close when peoples' lives were ruined because of things they believed. I thought we had put that type of fundamentally anti-American persecution to rest. Now instead of focusing our rage on "Commies" we have "child molestors" and elementary school kids with vivid imaginations.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm sick of hearing about all of these Death Note-related incidents...
I also laughed when I saw a picture of Justin Bieber in the article...
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
A Death Note is not a hit list. It's a paper trail.

A hit list is list in which one lists names of people they plan on killing at some time in the future.

A Death Note is the actually means of killing someone. Writing a name in a Death Note is not wishing them to die and nor is it planning to kill someone. It is the actual act of murder.

Like I said in my first post, it isn't about the source idea of the kid's actions. It's why the kid took these actions to begin with. Death Note did not tell him to kill Justin Bieber, he did that on his own accord. Just because a "Death Note" was used, does not directly relate it to the anime/manga.

It's the people enforcing the rules who are being stereotypical, irrational and bias. Just because they see something anime related, they automatically assume it's the source of the problem and then move to have it banned, totally forgetting about the ACTUAL problem at hand.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
JuicyB wrote:

And yet Death Note was originally published in a magazine for children / teenagers. No wonder the world hates us if adults in our country aren't emotionally or intellectually capable of appreciating the fine points of a Japanese childrens' comic.

Well, in Japan, they don't usually Columbine/Virginia Tech/Timothy McVeigh each other. The U.S. has a violence culture, like gangsta rap. Japan doesn't have gangsta rap - it's not in their culture.
"Violence culture"?

By the by, the notion that the U.S. isn't sophisticated to appreciate sensational, black-and-white stories like Death Note is ridiculous.

[quote="dewlwieldthedarpachief"]Well, yeah. People who believe in the power of prayer are convinced that their actions will result in consequences; people like
this guy should then be prosecuted for attempted murder. But they aren't.[quote]When, if ever, we can prove that prayer is a viable form of murder*, then we'll have to tackle that (and all its messy complications). Until that happens, we're stuck with where we're at.

*Probably don't see this typed/hear this said everyday.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I thought what Tom Genne, one of the seven committee members made a lot of sense. I know when I was in High School I struggled with a lot of big existential questions and books where one of the main things that helped me sort out what I believed and thought. The idea that something like Death Note is corrosive to young people is laughable and seems to spring more out of the fear of over protective parents who wish to shield there children indefinitely from the harsh realities of life rather then any real concern. As far as the Death Note lists that just seems like a casualty of our zero tolerance policy school systems these days.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
If some kid wrote names in a Death Note and then went out and tried to kill those people, he would be mocked by fans for not understanding the first thing about the manga/anime, and possibly not even having read/seen it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5