• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Reports US$3.5-Million Loss in 1st Quarter 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Tokyo Mew Mew, One Piece, Digimon, Digimon 02, Digimon Tamers, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, DoReMi, SonicX and Shaman King (though this one wasn't edit nearly as much...wonder why...)

No, bringing shitty edited anime on TV is not a good thing. It makes anime look like crap. Had I seen the 4kids Digimon when I was a kid, I could have dismissed all anime as shit.

4Kids had nothing to do with Digimon. The seasons you mentioned were dubbed by Saban.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Raneth wrote:
Fear my ignorance! But what shows did 4kids ruin besides One Piece? Isn't bringing in more anime to TV a good thing? Anime needs more exposure, and the absolute best way is to air it on TV, edited or not. That is how I got into anime, after all-By watching chopped up episodes of DBZ and Pokemon on TV. (Although Trigun on DVD was the tipping point into full blown anime fandom...)

Tokyo Mew Mew, One Piece, Digimon, Digimon 02, Digimon Tamers, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, DoReMi, SonicX and Shaman King (though this one wasn't edit nearly as much...wonder why...)

No, bringing shitty edited anime on TV is not a good thing. It makes anime look like crap. Had I seen the 4kids Digimon when I was a kid, I could have dismissed all anime as shit.

Was it 4kids that did Digimon? I thought it was someone else.

Regardless, they weren't bad at all, with the exception of the second series. They sometimes added jokes when it wasn't appropriate (the uncontrolled use of which hurt the second series. although it wasn't very good to begin with) and the scripts were often too chatty, but the quality of the series came through that, especially in Tamers, which is really excellent for a kiddie magical pet action show. If they wanted to, I'm sure they could have put a different spin on spoiler[ Leomon's death, the most outright horrible thing that happened in that series,] to soften it, but they didn't.

Heck, I thought the addition of more humor, some of it sarcastic and self-referential, improved the first series, which is just a silly aimless adventure show.

The new orchestral score was awesome, too.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Had I seen the 4kids Digimon when I was a kid, I could have dismissed all anime as shit.

I'm glad that no such thing exists then, so that you can be with us today.

Quote:
But what shows did 4kids ruin besides One Piece?

Fans of 4kids properties are in the habit of making a mountain out of every edit that they perform on their products and declaring everything a "ruin", but they have done some legitimately horrible jobs. Aside from the totally disastrous One Piece dub, many fans think that the new Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds was handled much worse than the rest of the Yu-Gi-Oh series, since the very heavy presence of death and dark stuff was erased in the 4kids version, leaving the story feeling much more disjointed and weird than it needed to. (This is just hearsay; I haven't seen the new show cut or uncut.) Shaman King seems to suffer from a lot of the same problems. Basically, whenever they work on something that is particularly violent or frightening, they don't do a very good job of putting fig leaves over it.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Raneth wrote:
Fear my ignorance! But what shows did 4kids ruin besides One Piece? Isn't bringing in more anime to TV a good thing? Anime needs more exposure, and the absolute best way is to air it on TV, edited or not. That is how I got into anime, after all-By watching chopped up episodes of DBZ and Pokemon on TV. (Although Trigun on DVD was the tipping point into full blown anime fandom...)

4Kids didn't have any of the Digimon shows.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Digimon, Digimon 02, Digimon Tamers

No, bringing shitty edited anime on TV is not a good thing. It makes anime look like crap. Had I seen the 4kids Digimon when I was a kid, I could have dismissed all anime as shit..

Problem though, 4kids never touched Digimon. That was Saban's doing. Maybe a few Saban employees transferred over to 4kids over the years, but uh....

I loved Digimon as a kid, loved it more than you can imagine. I still like watching Saban's dub, both because of nostalgia and because its actually kindof funny Anime hyper

And I still to this day love the medium of anime (heck, I'm in art school because of it), and I can thank Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Digimon for that.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
And I still to this day love the medium of anime (heck, I'm in art school because of it), and I can thank Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Digimon for that.

Yeah, holy childhood trifecta!

Come to think of it, I bet a lot of us who were young during the 90s and got into Pokemon have 4kids to thank for our first taste of anime. "Butcheries" like its Pokemon dub and DiC's sendup of Sailor Moon were what got a lot of people into anime in the first place.

Also Saban's Digimon dub was great stuff, guys. Seriously.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:

Come to think of it, I bet a lot of us who were young during the 90s and got into Pokemon have 4kids to thank for our first taste of anime. "Butcheries" like its Pokemon dub and DiC's sendup of Sailor Moon were what got a lot of people into anime in the first place.

When I watched these shows as a kid I had no idea that they were even edited! It wasn't until I re-watched them years later in college that I realized what had been done. Watching Cardcaptor Sakura was quite a shock, lol.
ShindoW

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:

Same here. I started with Pokemon (not even realizing it was Japanese until I was well into Digimon which had, really, just necessary edits until they made the jokes go up in Zero Two. I've seen both dub and uncut subs and I love both). Unfortunetly I missed out on Sailor Moon because our cable didn't have Cartoon Network. I'm upset I missed out and went back to get the uncut elsewhere. I need to complete it since I only saw up to ep 40 or so and I don't even like shoujo, much less series that go on for 30+ episodes.

It seems the trend in editing out the Japanese references (rice balls = donuts, anyone?) has declined, so maybe they're edits in that department wont be so bad. Very Happy
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Hold on, if 4Kids didn't do Digimon, then who did?

Ohhh...it was Saban. My mistake.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The One Piece edits weren't even 4kid's fault. Toei was the one who told them to make all those changes because their reasoning was if DBZ,when it first aired, had a lot edits to it and that became a phenomenal success then doing the same thing to OP would have the same results.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The Anagelic One wrote:
On a plus side though, kids'll grow up with horrible dubbing, and by the time they reach their teens, they'll look up their shows on the Internet/Wikipedia, and discover the unedited Japanese dialogue.

Thus bringing in a new generation of anime fans. Wink

No. It'll bring in a new generation of dub haters and sub only prusuits. i hope that third pary takes them over and fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
The One Piece edits weren't even 4kid's fault. Toei was the one who told them to make all those changes because their reasoning was if DBZ,when it first aired, had a lot edits to it and that became a phenomenal success then doing the same thing to OP would have the same results.

I guess they failed to take into account the fans that had already developed a liking of One Piece and that thanks to the Internet fansubs were more assessable than when DBZ got dubbed.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Y'know, citing Toonami (rest in peace) as an inspiration can't be a bad thing. Anime has needed more exposure on TV since Toonami was excised from CN's line-up, and I think that having more of it for kids to access will eventually lead to the creation of a new generation of anime fans.

I mean, think about it for a second. I'm a huge anime fan, and I actively look for the most obscure and cutting-edge stuff I can find today. But I wouldn't be doing that if it weren't for the edited shows that were on Toonami back in the day. Despite how much it makes hardcore fans cringe, sometimes editing anime to make it more accessible to kids can be beneficial for the industry as a whole.

Exactly! When I saw that sentence, I was elated. Yes! The cycle of anime popularity in the west has come back around to rise once again! With luck, that 3rd party will keep 4kids from changing it around too much.
Quote:
When I watched these shows as a kid I had no idea that they were even edited! It wasn't until I re-watched them years later in college that I realized what had been done. Watching Cardcaptor Sakura was quite a shock, lol.

Definitely. It's a good thing 4sight's coming. I once said we might need anime for the little kiddies to watch when they grow out of 4kids.

Last edited by sirkoala13 on Tue May 11, 2010 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
What I have read about the partnerships involved with the release of Dragon Ball Z Kai has me very curious about how 4Kids plans to release these titles. Funimation is doing the dubs for Dragon Ball Z Kai, and I believe that since they have all the DVD authoring capabilities in-house, 4Kids may, possibly, be outsourcing some of the DVD authoring and distribution to Funimation. (?)

If so, the dubs for shows going forward could be quite good, and the DVD releases could include un-cut versions.

I'm hoping that Zac and Justin could have the Funimation guys back on a future ANNCast to maybe explain what kind of partnership or outsourcing deal they have with 4Kids on the Dragon Ball Z Kai deal, and if this is how DVD authoring will go down on future 4Kids properties.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
This is kindof exciting actually There's just so many ways this could turn out.
I think I'm curious about the 4Sight label the most, personally.

Nothing left to do now except just wait for June to come to see what they've got for us I guess.

Me too, actually I thought I would be the only one that was...

Apollo-kun wrote:
Y'know, citing Toonami (rest in peace) as an inspiration can't be a bad thing. Anime has needed more exposure on TV since Toonami was excised from CN's line-up, and I think that having more of it for kids to access will eventually lead to the creation of a new generation of anime fans.

I mean, think about it for a second. I'm a huge anime fan, and I actively look for the most obscure and cutting-edge stuff I can find today. But I wouldn't be doing that if it weren't for the edited shows that were on Toonami back in the day. Despite how much it makes hardcore fans cringe, sometimes editing anime to make it more accessible to kids can be beneficial for the industry as a whole.

I completely agree with all you your points here... and it does make me cringe that sometimes that people like to hate 4Kids when in reality they could just watch the original Japanese version anytime they want... However I am wary of this... the Saturday morning line-ups just aren't popular anymore as they used to be... Just as One Saturday Morning is gone, I believe this too will be gone, I'm not saying immediately though however I suspect within the next 5 or so years the whole Saturday morning cartoon line-ups will be completely gone... or not, hey I don't know the future! Anyways, Toonami had an advantage because it showed right after school on the weekdays... However that isn't the case now-a-days... be it a good or bad thing, this generation of kids simply don't watch as much television as the last... maybe because of the lack of interesting shows? Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4