• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Rosario + Vampire, Chaos;HEAd, Regios

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
I really, really hope they can release the Blurays immediately for many of these titles, which are available in native HD, like Casshern Sins, Chaos Head, R+V1,2, Eden, and Rideback.

They are all old titles that have had their Blurays released in Japan already. Combined with the additional delay of another year from now, I don't see why licensors would hold them back from doing so, unless Funi themselves are hoping people will double dip.

So personally, I'll get Shikabane, Regios, Sora no Otoshimono on DVD and wait and see for the others aforementioned on BD (likewise for other titles like Seikirei).
TJR

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
AFAIK, Chaos;Head hasn't been released on Blu-Ray yet. I'd also argue that you'd be wasting money if you pay more than the standard DVD price (animation is particularly low quality; the same goes for the show's content IMO, but that's another matter).
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
AFAIK, Chaos;Head hasn't been released on Blu-Ray yet. I'd also argue that you'd be wasting money if you pay more than the standard DVD price (animation is particularly low quality; the same goes for the show's content IMO, but that's another matter).

You're right I misremembered. But I hope Funi could release BDs even so, since there are HD sources, like they did with Samurai 7 and Shigurui. As far as the video itself goes, even if the animation is fairly average (although not bad as you say IMO) there's still a huge difference in picture quality between the DVDs and HD broadcast. And I suppose I'm one of the few that mildly enjoyed the show, lol.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
WOW FUNimation = Win!!!! Chaos;HEAD!!!!!! I never thought that would come!!! Happy! Rosario + Vampire, Regios, FUNimation has won! But Ride Back and that flying Pantie crap. Pass.

What were your issues with Rideback? It definitely had issues, but I found that it was an attempt at being creative, unlike Rosario. I can't comment on the others because I never gave them a try, but from what little I've read here, they sound like more 'loss' than 'win'.

Quote:
How in the hell has nobody got A Certain Magical Index.?? Come on Get it!!!

I'll pass on Index, but I would like to see Railgun licensed (by someone other than Funi, not that I expect that to happen).
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Rosario + Vampire: If you've read the manga, you'll hate the anime. If you haven't read the manga, you might STILL hate the anime.

Wrong, I like both and I read the manga first.

I didn't like either. I saw a few episodes (4-5, IIRC), didn't like the fanservice, and it had no plot at that point beyond challenge-of-the-week or harem expansion. Since many people said that the manga was so much better, I glanced at the first few volumes of it as they were released, and found that I didn't like its fanservice or plot (slightly better than the anime, but still bad).
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Actually, the shows paying the FUNi bills are your DBZ/FMA shows.

Except they've also said recently that both Kenichi and Spice and Wolf sold very well, both are which are pretty unlike DBZ and FMA (well, Kenichi is sorta close, but still pretty different). DBZ and FMA are definitely the biggest profits, but don't assume that none of the others haven't had significant contributions.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Currently not interested in any of these shows (although I may watch a few episodes of Eden of the East if Funi posts some episodes of the dub on their site), but I know a lot of people were looking forward to these shows being announced and the cast announcements. So I'm glad for those that looked forward to these got what they wanted. ^^
Dakaran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
WOW FUNimation = Win!!!! Chaos;HEAD!!!!!! I never thought that would come!!! Happy! Rosario + Vampire, Regios, FUNimation has won! But Ride Back and that flying Pantie crap. Pass.

What were your issues with Rideback? It definitely had issues, but I found that it was an attempt at being creative, unlike Rosario. I can't comment on the others because I never gave them a try, but from what little I've read here, they sound like more 'loss' than 'win'.

Quote:
How in the hell has nobody got A Certain Magical Index.?? Come on Get it!!!

I'll pass on Index, but I would like to see Railgun licensed (by someone other than Funi, not that I expect that to happen).

Regios is an excellent action-packed anime with some good comedy moments. I really suggest everybody who have not watched those they announced to check them out. I've seen them all except Chaos Head, and they are excellent for their style. Regios is really hot stuff for me I can't get the music out of my head just like MELL and Kyoku in Rideback:P
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I'll absolutely buy Eden of the East. Maybe Ride Back and Guin Saga. I literally can not point to one other thing I'd like to see that has been licensed from the 08/09 time-frame though. I guess maybe I could watch Casshern Sins or Golgo 13 but honestly, I just do not really want to see them. The fact that I'm reaching to shows I don't even actually want to see just to find five watchable shows over two years demonstrates my point pretty well.

I won't claim to know for certain about others buying habits but to rephrase Pandadice's comment: And they wonder why I'm not buying many DVDs?

Look, I'm all for live and let live. I'm not going to complain just because shows I dislike are released. People who like that stuff can watch it. I won't. But when those shows actually seem to be crowing out the release of shows I want...well I think I have every right to complain.

That you have very narrow tastes? That it's such a pain to branch out and try new shows?

What do you know of my tastes? I like action, adventure, drama, mystery, cyberpunk, space opera, mecha, fantasy, supernatural, psychological, horror and period shows. Are you going to claim that's not a pretty reasonable variety?

I do not however, like shitty harems or ecchi comedies. Honestly, if a show can just dodge these couple bullets though I will potentially be interested in it. Five of these Six new shows can not. I think it's pretty painfully clear that I'm not the one who needs to branch out.

Quote:
If you're only buying 5 shows over two years, I don't really think that FUNi (or anyone else for that matter) is counting on you to buy DVDs.

Please improve your reading comprehension. I didn't say I've only bought 5 shows over 2 years. I've bought several dozen shows over the last two years. Of course, those were all shows produced in 06/07 (which means we see them released here in roughly 08/09).

What I'm talking about is the stuff that has come out recently and will be out in the near future. Shows produced in 08/09 that are turning up here now and in the rest of 2010. Because of what we're seeing licensed, I expect my purchases in 2010 to shrink to a mere couple of shows as compared to a dozen a year over the past couple years. Obviously that is something the industry should worry about.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
On the bright side, the will most likely be dubbed. On the down side, it will be a Funimation dub, so I will likely be sticking to the sub track anyway.

I was very interested in Rosario and it would have been an immediate preorder. However, with this news, it's become a "Wait and See".

Just to ask, have you ever seen any dub by Funimation, because that would explain your comment above.

I mean serieas like Beck, Dragon Ball (Z, GT, Kai), Kenichi, Soul Eater, xxxHolic, Full Metal Alchemist, Hell Girl, (..... I can do this all day) and lets not forget all those many other shows that have had superb dubs. I don't see reason to complain.

Although, they did use a lot of repeat voice actors for the 2009 releases, but these 2010 releases have a bigger mix of voice actors and a lot of "new blood" (as in new voice actors) to the resent dubs, and they have a bigger variety in dub case, just take the casts announced in this article as an example.

Frankly, I don't see the reason or rational of bac mouthing something that has not been produce yet. You can't tell the future and from where I stand it seem that my view point is opposite of yours.

Give any of these shows to any other licenser right now and you would get a sub only release with little to no chance of dub. Not because the shows doesn't warrant it but because no one has faith or the funding in shows as much as Funimation. Why complian about a dub when you other wise wouldn't get one. Are you saying that the show would be better of not dubbed.

Mind you, if Sentia got their hands on any of these they would release them at the same price as Funimation english dubbed version but with sub only release. Maybe, a $10 drop in price, which I think it's totally worth it to pay, $10 more and get a dub then pay $10 less and not get on.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I would rather save $10 and only get subs. But I guess that wouldn't be fair to dub fans. It's not that all dubs are bad. It's just that the only time I listen to dubs is if I'm with a friend that hates subtitles, which is rare.

Also, being Funimation, they'll put 6 - 7 episodes on a disc with 2 surround sound tracks AND trailers (and maybe a few real extras, sometimes). What sometimes ends up happening is some terrible video compression to the point where I would much rather pay 2 or 3 times more to have better video quality on twice as much discs and less issues with compression artifacts. So I'm left with either settling for an awful looking product or just not having box sets of some of my favorites.

Last edited by ZenErik on Sun May 16, 2010 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Rosario + Vampire: If you've read the manga, you'll hate the anime. If you haven't read the manga, you might STILL hate the anime.

Okay, can ANYONE tell me of a Vampire based show that fallows the MANGA?........ that's right didn't think so. At best, the anime take key element from the manga as guidelines for the show.

Thus, it goes without saying that for Vampire Based Shows you do NOT compare the MANGA and ANIME but rather you rate them as STANDALONE productions.

Take Karin for example, liked the show, like the manga. Both are different and like both stories equality. Same with Rosario + Vampire, the manga and anime are two different things, so don't compare apples and oranges just because they are both round.

I hope I made it clear enough.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I've only read the first 3 volumes of the manga, and that was 2 years ago or so, but from what I can remember it was an epic story.

As for the anime, haven't watched it, I was waiting for it to finally get a dub.

R.G. wrote:
Re: R+V

Why Funimation and not VIZ?

Would have made a fine companion piece to Vampire Knight.

Not to mention that Viz is the publisher and translator for the manga in the U.S.
mabber36

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Just to ask, have you ever seen any dub by Funimation, because that would explain your comment above.

I mean serieas like Beck, Dragon Ball (Z, GT, Kai), Kenichi, Soul Eater, xxxHolic, Full Metal Alchemist, Hell Girl,

all terrible dubs.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Funimation picked up 'Sora no Otoshimono', EXCELLENT!! It's my guilty pleasure. Can't wait to pick that up. Also very pleased to hear some news on 'Shikabane Hime'. Also glad that they picked up 'Rideback'. I have yet to check that out. I've heard it's a good series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13