• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hell Girl Season 2 DVD Collection 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CZeke

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm thrilled that Season 2 is coming out -- I liked it even better than the first. But I really wish they'd sprung for a dub. Not only were the voices well cast last time, but if you don't have a dub, you lose a lot of the audience. Some people won't watch subs at all, and others have already seen fansubs and are in it mostly for the dub.

My own reason is slightly different -- I'm a huge translation wonk. I love to rewind and compare how a particular line is subbed versus how it's dubbed (and often both are subtly different from the Japanese, which I can sometimes make out). I have to restrain this habit when I watch with others, or it would drive them nuts.

vashfanatic wrote:
And if you find any of the camp in season 2 unappealing, do not under any circumstances watch season 3. If season 2 was unnecessary, than season 3 was beating a dead horse, and it turned into full-blown stupid self-parody. I could only tolerate half a dozen episodes, and prefer to pretend it never existed.

I don't blame you, but dude -- watch the rest. Hell Girl seasons always take time to get going. Mitsuganae grips pavement at episode 13 and gets better and better from there. It's actually my favourite season so far.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I normally don't support sub only releases unless they are "must-haves". But I enjoyed the first season and being able to to get it at a to good to be true price helped in my decision. Guess a disc with a lot of typos should be sold via typo.

Shipped today.

Edit: Disregard the link, they have fixed the price.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nevertheless it is noticeably inferior to its black, bleak and deceptively simple predecessor.

Having just watched about 5 episodes I have to agree. The story has lost a lot of its sense of mystery since we know most of what there is to know about Ai's origins. One of the attributes of her appeal was her sort of weird passiveness except in the most extreme situations. That seems to have changed.

Also in this new season you get to see a lot more of her henchmen and how they operate, although you don't know much about where they came from. I recall that they were prisoners of Hell before Ai freed them. Now they seem more like protagonists than the shadowy instruments of retribution. The only one that remains fully elusive is the Grandma at her spinning wheel.

One question I have is how Ai got back on the job in the first place. spoiler[As I recall the end of the prior season, she had violated her parole and was going to be sent back to Hell, but had the power to flip off the Lord or Hell. (Have to like a girl who can do that.) I can't imagine how they got reconciled ]-- is that ever explained?

All and all I can't stop watching, but it seems that Season 2 isn't adding anything new. Instead it feels like someone is milking the formula. Yet even as a shadow, it is still much better than average.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2