• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fetch Quests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B.K.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
NISA is going to announce Ar Tonelico 3 on July 15.

http://scrawlfx.com/2010/05/ar-tonelico-3-localization-announcement-hits-july
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Get Excited If: You played through Natsume's Princess Debut without a tinge of embarrassment.

... Embarassed Well I wasn't embarrassed until you hinted there was something to be embarrassed about... still... I must go now and look into buying Witches' Wish. The more girl oriented games they bring over, even if they target pre-teens, the more I shall buy in hopes they bring over even more otome style games.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:16 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I could never understand why people are so nuts about Ghibli animation... I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the lack of "moe" character designs. Hurray for ugly characters?

Yes -- everyone is wrong but you.

Hark, a lovely troll response! This has nothing to do with being right or wrong. I'd appreciate it if you would put a little more thought into your response next time.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:53 am Reply with quote
Whether you like the character designs or not has nothing to do with how well those designs are animated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
Ah. So a lot of people prefer ugly designs that move smoothly and nicely to pretty designs that hardly move? I could buy that.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Ah. So a lot of people prefer ugly designs that move smoothly and nicely to pretty designs that hardly move? I could buy that.

Some of us don't consider their designs ugly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
How the hell can anyone call Ghibli's character designs ugly? They're some of the most simple, natural distinctive designs out there.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Some of us don't consider their designs ugly.

Fair enough.

DragonsRevenge wrote:
How the hell can anyone call Ghibli's character designs ugly? They're some of the most simple, natural distinctive designs out there.

Maybe that's exactly why I don't like them. *shrug*
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I could never understand why people are so nuts about Ghibli animation... I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the lack of "moe" character designs. Hurray for ugly characters?

Yes -- everyone is wrong but you.

Hark, a lovely troll response! This has nothing to do with being right or wrong. I'd appreciate it if you would put a little more thought into your response next time.

Huh? I was agreeing with you!

Seriously, though -- a troll response to a troll question. Yes, we love ugly designs because they are ugly. They are pleasing to us exactly because they are offensive to the eye. It couldn't be that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Huh? I was agreeing with you!

You presume that I cannot detect sarcasm. Confused

Sven Viking wrote:
Seriously, though -- a troll response to a troll question. Yes, we love ugly designs because they are ugly. They are pleasing to us exactly because they are offensive to the eye. It couldn't be that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I will relent that the little "hurray for ugly characters" part at the end was a bit of troll bait (and look what I caught!), but I see nothing wrong with the rest of my post. It seems I am as puzzled at people's love for this art as they are at my lack thereof. And I honestly wonder if the "anti-moe" crusade has no stake in it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
And I honestly wonder if the "anti-moe" crusade has no stake in it.

No...believe it or not some people just have different tastes in what makes character designs appealing. It is not all a result of some big 'crusade' against moe.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
No...believe it or not some people just have different tastes in what makes character designs appealing. It is not all a result of some big 'crusade' against moe.

I wasn't implying that everyone who likes them do so because of this, but I was beginning to suspect that it is a factor for some. Though surely you wouldn't deny that there is a crusade against moe going around here.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:04 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I wasn't implying that everyone who likes them do so because of this, but I was beginning to suspect that it is a factor for some. Though surely you wouldn't deny that there is a crusade against moe going around here.

And this is why you're trolling. Just because you veil your comment by suggesting that it's only a possibility doesn't really change the fact that you're attacking the credibility of people who like those designs by implying they don't actually genuinely like them. It's like telling someone: I'm not saying you hold that position because you're crazy, just that a lot of people who think that are.

As for this apparent 'war on moe', it depends what you mean.

If you're asking me: Do a lot of people around here dislike it? Then no, I certainly wouldn't deny it. I think there are some legitimate reasons to and even putting that aside, everyone has their own personal taste. It follows then that people will express their (honest) feelings on moe which will be negative.

However, if you're asking me: Are a lot of people so determined to disparage moe that they just pretend to like Ghibli animation even though they actually find it ugly because...something? No. That is pants-on-head ridiculous.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 am Reply with quote
This is getting a little ridiculous. On the one hand, you're defending people expressing their honest opinions, and on the other, you're accusing me of trolling because I expressed mine.

If you are inferring that I am trolling because I was looking for a reaction, then maybe you are right. I don't believe in posting my opinion in the blandest, most politically correct way possible so as to incite no reaction whatsoever, because that would be pointless.

I wanted someone to stand up in the Ghibli lovers' defence so that I may gain a little insight into their views, which, thanks to ZenErik and DragonsRevenge, I have. You, however, have contributed nothing here.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
The last line polluted the context of your message... I mean, it logically boils down to something like "Why does everyone like these things which are bad?". Perhaps you didn't mean it, though, so I forgive you. :)

Afraid I also didn't realise you were serious about the moe thing, which made it seem even more like you were trolling. Studio Ghibli's popularity dates back to ~1984 (somewhat later in the west). The term "moe" is thought to have originated sometime after 1993 (uncertain), the craze came much later (fairly recently, I though?), and any 'anti-moe crusade' came later than that. As far as I know, most western anime fans had never heard of the term until a relatively few years ago.

So, no.

(P.S. -- since it seems I'm already on a trolling spree, here are some comparison shots for anyone unsure of the difference between Ghibli and Moe character designs: Ugly -- Beautiful ;)

Last edited by Sven Viking on Thu May 27, 2010 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4