• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How has Sailor Moon held up for you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I hate to break the news to you,Chiibi but "Sailor Moon" is a kid's show. So,yeah,they are going to edit it "for five-year-olds with soccer moms" as you so derisively put it. That's the intended audience!!!

No, the original show is a kid's show only in Japan.
Lol, what are you so pissed off about?

Quote:
I know that Japanese culture is different from American culture but I feel that DIC did the right thing. What might be acceptable for kids in Japan might not be acceptable here.

A lot of DiC's edits had NOTHING to do with being inappropriate for kids though! They cut ENTIRE episodes out because why? They changed entire conversations because why? They totally ignored Usagi's character development because WHY?
That's not just editing. That is butchering something to pieces.

Quote:
the unedited version might have a hard time finding an audience outside of you and your little cadre.

I 100% do not believe that in the slightest.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
I hate to break the news to you,Chiibi but "Sailor Moon" is a kid's show. So,yeah,they are going to edit it "for five-year-olds with soccer moms" as you so derisively put it. That's the intended audience!!!

No, the original show is a kid's show only in Japan.

I thought that it had been well established that Sailor Moon was made primarily for young girls.
I do not know if the target audience was as young as five years old, but it was made for children, including young teens.
The fact that it became popular with other groups (such as dirty old men Embarassed ) was a bonus.
EDIT: I just read this again and realized that I was not very clear. I do agree that Sailor Moon does not need to be edited for American audiences. It is already appropriate just as it is.

Quote:
Quote:
the unedited version might have a hard time finding an audience outside of you and your little cadre.

I 100% do not believe that in the slightest.

I definitely agree with Chibi, and I think that Viz does too.
I know that North American anime companies do not have a perfect record for predicting which shows will be profitable. Lord knows that too many have been canceled because they did not meet expectations. But I think that Viz put a lot of thought, and research, into this decision. They would not have licensed it if they thought that the audience would be that limited.

Last edited by Touma on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I personally liked the first season of the original English dub (the voices fit the characters and the acting was good... and if several of the lines are cheesy, well, I kinda that cheesiness). I've been watching the unedited Japanese episodes and the corresponding English episodes back-to-back so that I can compare the similarities and differences. The changes to the script and the episode cuts don't bother me, but I can appreciate where people are coming from when they say they don't like the changes. I'm treating them as two separate universes, since several characters have different names and there are enough changes to warrant that.

Now, Sailor Moon S is a completely different issue. I didn't like Serena's new voice, and I really dislike the change to cousins for Neptune and Uranus. I ended up not watching much of the season at the time it was coming out for those two reasons. I'm a fangirl of Uranus/Neptune. They're my favorite couple and two of my favorite characters from the series. I ended up buying plushies of the two yesterday at a con.

So, I really like the first season of the original English dub, but not much after that. Sailor Moon R wasn't a bad dub either (I think Serena still had the same voice actress at the time), but I don't care much for the character Rini/Chibi-Usa, so the entire season is just not as enjoyable.

It's gonna be a looooooong wait to finally get to Sailor Moon S and Stars. Those are the seasons I'm most looking forward to watching the unedited episodes. Especially since I have to suffer through Sailor Moon SS. Ugh, removal of the outer scouts and an entire season that focuses on Chibi-Usa? Shoot me now. But I'm gonna watch all of the episodes just so that I can finally say that I've seen all 200 episodes of Sailor Moon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really have too many problems with the original English dub myself. The episode drops were probably due to them not getting there in time or that the much darker tone of some of the episodes might not be appropriate for kids. And like willag,I didn't mind them giving the characters English names. They probably thought that North American kids might not be able to pronounce the original names. The DIC dub was very good while Cloverway was a bit rushed and wasn't given enough time to make it sound professional. I also had no real problem with the edits. Unlike a few others,I was able to live with them.
Where we differ is the changes to the relationship between Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune. I didn't have a lot of problems with them making Uranus and Neptune cousins. They were afraid of protests from parents about them having a lesbian relationship in what is supposed to be a kids show. I don't think that opinion's changed a whole lot in the past decade. I think the people who did that were probably guided by the old saying "Blood is thicker than water." I'm not going to quibble too much on it. I don't have too many problems with the relationship change. They were trying to make it appropriate for kids,that's all. All in all,I thought that they handled the Uranus/Neptune relationship in the best way that they could. And unlike a lot of others,I can live with that decision.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

Where we differ is the changes to the relationship between Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune. I didn't have a lot of problems with them making Uranus and Neptune cousins. They were afraid of protests from parents about them having a lesbian relationship in what is supposed to be a kids show. I don't think that opinion's changed a whole lot in the past decade. I think the people who did that were probably guided by the old saying "Blood is thicker than water." I'm not going to quibble too much on it. I don't have too many problems with the relationship change. They were trying to make it appropriate for kids,that's all. All in all,I thought that they handled the Uranus/Neptune relationship in the best way that they could. And unlike a lot of others,I can live with that decision.
Although I'm fairly certain this issue has come up in the past with you in other threads, I again have to ask what is wrong with kids seeing a homosexual couple. It's not like there was anything explicit being shown. If anything the dub made it weird by calling them cousins, because it was still apparent that they had a romantic love for each other.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

EDIT: I just read this again and realized that I was not very clear. I do agree that Sailor Moon does not need to be edited for American audiences. It is already appropriate just as it is.

Yeah, maybe if your American audience is twelve. There's quite a bit of innuendo in the series. Neptune and Uranus especially like to talk about "being in bed together". Fine for Japanese but American parents would flip their sh*t if they heard that on "children's daytime programming".

Quote:
Especially since I have to suffer through Sailor Moon SS. Ugh, removal of the outer scouts and an entire season that focuses on Chibi-Usa? Shoot me now.

You know what? I used to really hate that kid, I mean REALLY. HATE. THAT. KID. but I marathoned SS last winter....and ended up enjoying it a good deal.
She got a lot more tolerable. There are a couple scenes where I really wanted to kill her, sure. But.........it's honestly a good season. I especially like the Dead Moon Circus crew. Lots of fun there.

Quote:
I didn't have a lot of problems with them making Uranus and Neptune cousins. They were afraid of protests from parents about them having a lesbian relationship in what is supposed to be a kids show.

Except everyone knew it was total BS-even kids. It's shocking parents didn't protest about the incest lesbian relationship.
Laughing ...........or maybe some of them did?

Quote:
Although I'm fairly certain this issue has come up in the past with you in other threads, I again have to ask what is wrong with kids seeing a homosexual couple.

Same reason why Christians don't want their kids learning about homosexual couples in school. We're against subjecting young minds to what we think is sinful and totally against our beliefs. And I know we're not the only religion group that feels that way.

(..........I say that but still curse a lot and dabble in yaoi/yuri looooooool I'm a bad Christian. ._. HARRYPOTTER'SMYFAVORITEBOOKSERIESNYAH)
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
The original anime (most of the Japanese version) from what I've seen of it, still holds up really great for me, the dub, not so much.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Having just finished the first two sets (48 episodes) on DVD, I can honestly say this was WAY better than I expected. The Monster of the Week stuff gets tedious from time to time, but when plot happens, it's effective. Nephrite was certainly an interesting character, and the romance between Zoisite and Kunzite was strangely endearing, coming from a non-yaoi fan myself. I wish Usagi was a little less whiny (seriously, guys? You complain about Shinji Ikari but praise Sailor Moon as a strong character?) and the reused animation gets extremely irritating, even discounting transformation sequences.

Does it hold up? In the same way that DBZ holds up. Yes and no. If you're willing to keep an opened mind, it does hold up exceedingly well. If you've been reading shoujo manga and watching Magical Girl anime all your life? I dunno. I personally have only seen this, Fate/Kaleid Liner (which shouldn't even count), Princess Tutu, Madoka Magica, parts of Cardcaptor Sakura, and am in the middle of watching Utena. With that said, I don't think Sailor Moon is quite as good as Madoka or Tutu, but it's still a great anime. Hell, I think the last few episodes might have even made me a little watery, along with Nephrite and Naru's episode.[/i]
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
I love it just as much as I used to, probably even more now! Smile It's kind of hard to seperate my feelings from nostalgia, though... it was my first exposure to anime, and being the target audience I totally fell in love with it. I quickly got into Utena afterwards and I thought I was so much more cool and mature because of it (the way a 14 year old's mind works lol),as so I never really appreciated Sailor Moon as much as I do now.

I'm really surprised at how well its aged. A lot of early 90's stuff hasn't. Yes, it can get repetitive but I enjoy those too because the character writing is great and I can empathize with even the one shot characters usually. Also too when the pace does quicken it's really exciting because it was moving slow before, and the series finales are always amazing. The animation in those more important episodes is pretty impressive considering the era and the budget and the music is just gorgeous.

I also feel like Sailor Moon doesn't get much credit for how dark and dramatic it can get though. I mean... that end of the first season.... It's a big time investment but there are great filler skipping guides online. I can find and link one if anyone's interested. Definately one of the better shoujo shows to come out in the 90s, Just take it slow like an episode two or day or else you can burn out on the repetitive slower parts.

The Haruka Michiru thing was really hilarious. Everyone knew what was really going on, we all had the internet. And being in the know just made it so much more funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3sraydCL6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErfQgvS3wx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shc8GX7YiKo

I'm too busy laughing like crazy to be offended. Oh Brad... the cutest boy in school!!!! I wonder where he is today *looks across the table at girlfriend*
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
Filler skipping guide? Yes please. I enjoyed the one filler with Luna and the fat cat. That was it, as far as I can remember. Please link me. ^^ I know that the filler moments might also be why I don't latch on to Usagi's character like I should. They probably flanderize her.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Filler skipping guide? Yes please. I enjoyed the one filler with Luna and the fat cat. That was it, as far as I can remember. Please link me. ^^ I know that the filler moments might also be why I don't latch on to Usagi's character like I should. They probably flanderize her.

I can't really find a spoiler free list, but here we go! I'll link to the other lists I found as reference but they do have spoilers, i.e. they tell you what happens in the episodes. There are 'semi' essential episodes where like new items or powerups are introduced or minor plot points I put in italics. May still seem like a lot but it cuts the 200 episodes down to half that or even a third if you ignore the italic episodes.

Sailor Moon (Season 1)

1. Crybaby Usagi's Magnificent Transformation
3. Mysterious Sleeping Illness! Protect the Girls' Hearts in Love
8. Is the Genius Girl a Youma? Brainwashing School of Terror
10. Cursed Buses! Fire Senshi Mars Appears
13. Girl Power! The End of Jadeite
14. A Powerful New Enemy! Nephrite's Evil Crest
15. Usagi's Panic! Rei's first date!
17. Is Usagi a Model? The Focus of the Youma Camera
19. Usagi is Thrilled! Tuxedo Mask's Love Letter
22. Romance Under the Moon! Usagi's First Kiss
23. Wish Upon a Shooting Star! Naru's Pure Love
24. Naru's Cry!
----Rainbow Crystal Episodes----
(The end MIGHT be a little confusing if you skip to it as to who has how many crystals but its not terribly important-several characters introduced though).
25. Jupiter, the Brawny Girl in Love
26. Restore Naru's Smile! Usagi's friendship
27. Crushing on Ami! A boy who can see the future!
28. Illustrations of Love! Are Usagi and Mamoru Getting Closer?
29. Total Chaos! Messy Love Rectangle
30, Grandpa loses control! Rei in Danger
31. Loved and Chased; Luna's Worst Day Ever
32. Umino's Resolve! I'll Protect Naru

33. The Last Sailor Senshi! Sailor Venus Appears
34. The Sparkling Silver Crystal! The Moon Princess Appears
35. Memories Return! Usagi and Mamoru's Past
36. Usagi is Confused! Is Tuxedo Mask Evil?
42. Sailor Venus' Past! Minako's Tragic Love
(Worth a watch only if you're a big Minako fan)

44. Usagi's Awakening! A Message From the Distant Past
45. The Tragic Final Battle
46. Usagi's Everlasting Wish! A New Reincarnation

Sailor Moon R (Season 2)

Doom Tree Arc

47. Moon Revived! The Mysterious Aliens Appear
48. For Love and Justice! A Sailor Senshi Once Again
49. For Whom is the White Rose? The Moonlight Knight Appears
51. A New Transformation! Usagi Powers Up

58. The Lovers' Hearts Disagree! The Angry Makaiju
59. True Love Awakens! The Makaiju's Secret

Silver Crystal Arc

60. An Angel? A Devil? Mysterious Girl From the Sky
61. Huge Shock for Usagi! Mamoru Declares a Breakup
64. In Search of the Silver Crystal! Chibiusa's Secret
68. Protect Chibiusa! Clash of the Ten Warriors
70. A Battle of the Flames of Love! Mars vs Koan
71, For Friendship! Ami and Bertheir Clash

72. Cold Hearted Rubeus! The Four Sisters of Sorrow
73. A UFO Appears! The Sailor Senshi are Abducted
74. Defeat Rubeus! The Final Battle in Space
75. A Mysterious New Senshi, Sailor Pluto Appears
76. Magical Power of Darkness! Esmeraude's Invasion
77. Our Feelings are the Same! Usagi and Mamoru in Love Once Again
81. Dark Gate Complete? A Grade School in Danger!
82. Journey to the Future! Battle in the Space-Time Corridor
83. The Shocking Future! Dimande's Dark Ambition
84. Wiseman's Evil Hand! Chibiusa Disappears
85. The Birth of Black Lady, the Queen of Darkness
86. Wiseman's Trap
87. Believe in Love and the Future! Usagi's Determination
88. The Final Battle Between Light and Darkness! Love Sworn to the Future

Sailor Moon S (Season 3)

90. Premonition of World's End? Mysterious New Senshi
91. The Rod of Love is Born! Usagi's New Transformation
92. A Beautiful Boy? The Secret of Haruka Tenou
94. Protect the Pure Heart! A Three-Way Battle
98. Save Friends! Moon and Uranus Join Forces

101. Usagi in Tears! Glass Shoes for Her Birthday
102. The Pure Heart Stolen! Usagi's Biggest Crisis
103. The Arrival of the Tiny Pretty Senshi
106. The Bond of Destiny! The Distant Days of Uranus
109. A Time of Shock! True Identities Revealed to One Another
110. Death of Uranus and Neptune? Talismans Appear
111. The Grail's Divine Power! Moon's Double Transformation
112. Who is the True Messiah? Chaos of Light and Darkness
113. A House Full of Evil! The Secret of the Beautiful Girl, Hotaru!
115. Shadow of Silence? The Pale Glimmer of a Firefly
119. Awakening of the Messiah of Silence? Stars of Destiny
120. Invasion From an Alternate Dimension! The Mystery of Mugen Academy
123. Shadows of Destruction! The Awakening of the Messiah of Silence
124. The Horror of the Approaching Shadow! Eight Senshi in a Tough Battle
125. A Bright Shooting Star! Saturn and the Messiah
126. A New Life! Time for Separation of the Destined Stars

Sailor Moon SuperS (Season 4)

128. Meeting of Fate! The Night Where a Pegasus Flies
130. Protect a Mother's Dream! The New Attack for Double Moon
133. Artemis' Affair? A Mysterious Kitten Appears
135. Hearts That Communicate! Chibiusa and Pegasus
143. Time to Believe the Pegasus! The Super Transformations of the Sailor Senshi
148. Shadows of Great Evil! The Trio is Cornered
149. Mirror of Dreams! Amazons' Final Stage
150. Amazoness! The Nightmare From Behind the Mirror
151. The Power Explodes! Ami's Song From the Heart
152. Burning Passion! Mars' Furious Deadly Attack
154. Confrontation in Dreams! Minako and Makoto's Broken Friendship

157. Pegasus is Gone!? Swinging Friendships
158. The Secret of Pegasus! The Handsome Guardian of the Dream World
159. Chibiusa's Little Rhapsody of Love
161. Coming Terror! The Dark Queen's Evil Approach
162. The Center of the Darkness: Dead Moon Circus
163. Labyrinth of Mirrors! Chibi Moon Captured
164. The Golden Crystal Appears! Nehellenia's Spell
165. Time for the Crystal to Shine! Beautiful Power of Dreams
166. Dreams Forever! Light Throughout the Sky

Sailor Moon Stars (Season 5, Final Season)

Nehelennia Arc (True End of SuperS)

167. A Nightmare Scatters the Flowers! Return of the Dark Queen
168. The Awakening of Saturn! The Ten Senshi Come Together
169. Evil Mirror Under a Curse! Mamoru in a Nightmare Trap
170. The Fateful Night! The Agony of the Sailor Senshi
171. For the Sake of Love! Endless Battle in the Dark World
172. Moon Love Power! The End of the Nightmare

Starlight Arc

173. A Goodbye and an Encounter! The Destiny of Flowing Stars
174. A School Storm! Transfer Students are Idols
180. Brightness of Calling Stars! Haruka and Michiru's Entry into Battle
181. Seiya and Usagi's Nervous Date
182. Invasion From Space! Seiren Comes Flying in
187. The Power of a Shining Star! Chibi Chibi's Transformation
188. An Invitation to Terror! Usagi's Night Flight
189. Torn Between Duty and Friendship! Confrontation Between Sailor Senshi
190. Truth Revealed! Seiya, Taiki and Yaten's Past
193. The Silver Crystal is Stolen! Princess Kakyuu Appears
194. Holy War in the Galaxy! Sailor Wars Legend
195. Princess Kakyuu Burns Out! Galaxia on Earth
196. Countdown to the Destruction of the Galaxy! Sailor Senshi's Final Battle
197. Ruler of the Galaxy, Galaxia's Threat
198. Disappearing Stars! The End of Uranus and Neptune
199. The Light of Hope! Final Battle for the Galaxy
200. Usagi's Love! The Moonlight Lights up the Galaxy

Sources:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=23484613
http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18903
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sailor_Moon_episodes
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
For me personally after having seen the first 90s TV series, not very well. While I'll concede that the series has a place in anime history for helping to popularize the magical girl genre to American audiences, the character types and cliches it milks throughout its run haven't aged well as they're typical of many later magical girl titles, a number of whom being far better in quality in terms of plotting, characters, soundtrack and animation. As for preference between the DIC and Viz versions, I much preferred the DIC version since the American additions for soundtrack, visual effects and voice acting at least put more effort to lend more dramatic pathos whereas the voice acting and soundtrack is too subdued for my tastes with the unaltered original version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6