• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Gen Fukunaga on the status of Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
*shakes his fist at Zac* Blasphemer! I look forward to the day He-man *once again* puts the smack down on you and thwarts your nefarious schemes!

On a more serious note, what upset me about the situation around Starship Troopers was how director Paul Verhoeven deceived Heinlein's widow. Yes, I found it annoying the way he subverted and attacked the ideas Heinlein put forth in his book (which *I* liked), but tricking a widow to get her approval to make the movie? That's just low.

I suppose I should make this relate to something in the main thread, but, uh, I really can't think of anything right now. Sorry 'bout that.

... uhmm, lessee ... how about ... Starship Troopers (canonical, not movie) would be another example. of a potential anime property. They could make a big deal of giving the heirs of the author's estate final signoff on the storyboards.

Television and film rights for the Wheel of Time have been optioned several times. It would be possible to start out with the first book for a two season series, and kind of just keep going, with perhaps one season breaks in between, as long as it continues to draw an audience. The books regularly reach number one on the NYT bestsellers list and have sold 44m worldwide.
slipperybogle

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

... uhmm, lessee ... how about ... Starship Troopers (canonical, not movie) would be another example. of a potential anime property. They could make a big deal of giving the heirs of the author's estate final signoff on the storyboards.

I think there already was an anime adaptation of Starship Troopers.

I just hope Funimation doesn't see comic book properties (mainstream or indie) as conservative bets for their coproductions. Such a glut of that stuff already from Hollywood.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Television and film rights for the Wheel of Time have been optioned several times. It would be possible to start out with the first book for a two season series, and kind of just keep going, with perhaps one season breaks in between, as long as it continues to draw an audience. The books regularly reach number one on the NYT bestsellers list and have sold 44m worldwide.

Gah! Is that *salt*?? Are you pouring salt on the wounds Zac made by saying he *liked* the movie version of Starship Troopers?! I have been reading WoT since Eye of the World first was printed. Do you know HOW LONG I have been waiting for the series to end? Now the author is dead (RIP RJ, no disrespect intended) and we'll never have the ending he would've written, only one that he semi-wrote.

But it would definitely be cool if they animated it. Honestly, though, the project would be huge, vast, gigantic. Even if you just did the first book (which can be viewed, sort of, as a stand-alone) it would be pretty long, I think. Still, the series ought to be done by the end of next year (according to the current author). In fact, one could view this as a western-themed IP that Funimation can put forward to co-publish, which is what I think you were saying. Yay! We tied this in to the main thread! Now Zac will let us live!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Quote:
You know what? I find it extremely hilarious that just because a company is publically traded we should all blindly believe in the sanctity of their quarterly reports. Not only is it hilarious to do so, it is extremely naive.

Because a company is publicly traded, we accept their financial reports as being fairly accurate until we are given reason to think otherwise.

-t

And that's exactly what rational people should do. Public companies go through extensive audits with independent accounting firms because people should be able to use the information presented on those financial statements. Without them, it would be much, much harder to make informed investment decisions. Without a certain amount of trust, people would be unable to invest their money at all. Sure, it's always good to keep in mind that the information will typically be presented as best as possible, but there are extensive rules in place that dictate how it is presented to make sure that it is fairly stated.

The news can make things look bad, but if people honestly believe that every company is out there trying to screw investors, then they're very mistaken. And, I'm not just making that up. My entire college career has been devoted to accounting, so I'm familiar with the rules governing financial statements and how much scrutiny goes into them.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
slipperybogle wrote:
agila61 wrote:

There was an American CGI cartoon. Is that what you're thinking of? Although I don't think it was particularly close to either the movie or the book.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
re: Starship Troopers anime)
There was an American CGI cartoon. Is that what you're thinking of? Although I don't think it was particularly close to either the movie or the book.

No, there was a little-known 6-part OAV from 1988. It was produced by Sunrise, and though I never saw more than a snippet of it, everyone I know that checked it out wanted to throw the tape out the window. It's so terrible I don't think anyone ever bothered to even fansub it in its entirety. The encyclopedia notes say that it's pretty accurate, though not 100%.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
Sounds like promising news as longer as the company's next partner is interested in their work and will help them get to where they desire.

Glad to hear that the live action movies releases are doing well. Cause that's what I've been buying previously along with the anime dvds.

I'll be looking forward in hearing how all of this turns out for Funimation, cause I'll be supporting them in every way possible when it comes to buying their anime, live action movies, or co-produced works.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
slipperybogle wrote:
agila61 wrote:

I just hope Funimation doesn't see comic book properties (mainstream or indie) as conservative bets for their coproductions. Such a glut of that stuff already from Hollywood.

But, that was to bring Tuor_of_Gondolin's post back under the umbrella of the topic. Starship Troopers as an anime is problematic for a lead-off implementation for Funimation's strategy precisely because of the existing high profile and several lower profile adaptations and the tensions between them.

So there are safer lead-offs. If the original cast of the show that survived to the end of the movie will voice act, a season of Firefly is a safe bet to draw a substantial new audience to Funimation's streaming channels, and if the cross US-Chinese back story was highlighted more strongly, including the necessary couple of new cast members being Chinese celebrities, might also get broadcast in parts of China and southeast Asia. Spin it out to four seasons, it could have a shot at US and Australian broadcast deals.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
This is the best thing I've read all week. The fish has outgrown its pond Razz

I really hope Funi gains a lot from this transition, whoever the new owner ends up being, plus the man definitely knows what's up and seems to have great things planned for the future of anime in the west.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
Zac wrote:
You're a hater who dumps on us every chance he gets. Your criticisms can't be trusted at face value.
And I'm glad my hating on your site helps to improve it! I've criticized early use of provocative language in your earlier news articles; I'm glad that's slowly changed with Egan Loo coming on board. I've criticized your Answerman column because you really started to hate on anime for no valid reason; I'm glad you handed it over to your colleague. And I'll be extremely glad if my criticism discourages your site from siding with company CEOs. You're welcome!

Oh God, man, you just gave me the longest and hardest laugh I've had in the past 7 days. Thanks. Laughing Of course, you're obviously the sole reason all that happened - you have so much power, you're able to influence anything with the power of your voice and opinions.

Hey, haterade, if you have so much influence, why don't you use it for more worthwhile things?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimani

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
slipperybogle wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Yes there was a Starship Troopers anime. It pretty much followed the movie scene by scene.

If there are going to try to license american properties; it would be great if they can strike a deal an animate Buffy Season 8 & 9.

Probably be too expensive though but I can wish.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Kimani wrote:
If there are going to try to license american properties; it would be great if they can strike a deal an animate Buffy Season 8 & 9.

Yeah ...

Week 1: "OK, 50 ideas on what we want to co-produce. Remember, established properties in other fields that will come with their own support base."

Week 2: "Thanks for the great ideas. It turns out that these are the 5 we can afford the rights to."
Kimani

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Kimani wrote:

Yeah ...

Week 1: "OK, 50 ideas on what we want to co-produce. Remember, established properties in other fields that will come with their own support base."

Week 2: "Thanks for the great ideas. It turns out that these are the 5 we can afford the rights to."

Yeah I hear you. I wonder if there is any money to be made (on the American side) to animate another set of episodes of Berserk, Claymore, Chobits, Gantz etc..

I guess we will have to wait and see when their press release release comes out.
takimaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
whether this is good or bad it'[s hard to say..

sound like funi has become a lead balloon to to parent company given its recent purchases, unless the likes of sony, pioneer or another entity to buy up funi, I think floating this type of market on the stock exchange was a bad Idea given the current stockmarket trend to dump a Co when it's down is always going to cause issues in the marketplace..

personally I'd like to see funi go worldwide, relying on a pissant Co to do a release in another region on substandard media is only going to kill which ever business in the long run..

sadly branching out into other avenues like live action movies and so forth while it is a practical Idea it should only be done in a limited, I've seen what happens when A Company lock stock and 2 smoking barrels into area's they do not belong, it tends to interfere with their primary mode of income..

before funi decides to do this route of selling pitch, I would strongly suggest them look at how overseas markets do it where other Co's do it..

look profitable it is for them you'll likely find out it isn't a rosey bed of flowers when you go this route..

while you might have the marketplace to do it I suspect you'll go bust trying to get a steady income from it, if a manga or anime has a live action series then by all means seek licenses for though 1 word of warning don't always rely on the content you get as in some cases a tv series and movie may have no cannon to the anime or manga..

classic example of this is the initial D L/A movie they couldn't even get the context of where the race fell within the storyline, yes the movie may have some good points, though fans of the anime and manga will hate it..

that being said I've seen some really well done l/a adaptions then i've also seen bad 1's.

Personally I'd like to see more tv series get get released since there is alot of anime that has a asian subcontinent release yet there lacks a international english dub..

I series i'd like to see redubbed is sailor moon so the complete series can have a decent english dub the dic dub was bad and incomplete..

I'd also like to the lupin the 3rd tv series get a decent western release..

I also like to see a redub of robotech so it resembles something similar to the the japanese release instead of the useless context to where the english dub currently stands..

the other thing stop bastardising the animes you release its fine to give bs readings for domestic releases though for international you might want to start getting the grammer correct to where this place the anime is shot in, if it's based in japan then use japanese names for god sake same with monetary currencies..

this changing names to be politically correct tends to piss off the international audience that buys your products..
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
takimaki wrote:
whether this is good or bad it'[s hard to say..

sound like funi has become a lead balloon to to parent company given its recent purchases, ...

Based on what? The decision to keep versus sell is an expected incremental value to someone else if it is sold.

Which suggests that Navarre's strategic direction has shifted since Funi was first bought, and there is no synergy any more.

The way that they are signalling the availability for sale suggests that there's no urgent desire to sell unless one or more potential buyers thinks Funi would be a good fit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6