• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Bleach TV Anime on June 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So the petition I heard about getting DB to sub the episodes on CR didn't work out? I don't even know if one actually existed - I heard about it from my brother, but didn't go into researching it since I lost interest in Bleach a long time ago.

Why would a now-legit site like CR want to deal with unofficial fansubbers when they can get access to officially-approved subtitles?

(And let's not get into a debate again about the relative quality of unofficial vs. official subs. The official ones, whether better or not, are the completely legal ones.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Fine, fine, mature and sensible wasn't the right words. Though if fanboys are crying about this, I say let 'em.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
good luck watching this show at 2:30 AM PACIFIC TIME on a Tuesday every week. Some of us actually have to work...

Hmm, so for me, that's 5:30 AM EST. Got it.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
CR is still meh and my last place to go to if I am interesting in watching anime.

Huh? Why's that?
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
good luck watching this show at 2:30 AM PACIFIC TIME on a Tuesday every week. Some of us actually have to work...

you know you don't have to watch it at that time that's just when it becomes available.

the question is how long is available for. I tend to budget a specific time slot each week to watch the newest episode of Bleach.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

you know you don't have to watch it at that time that's just when it becomes available.

the question is how long is available for. I tend to budget a specific time slot each week to watch the newest episode of Bleach.

Um...it's not like the episodes disappear or anything after the day they air. They stay on the site you know.
ALPHAKING1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Fine, fine, mature and sensible wasn't the right words. Though if fanboys are crying about this, I say let 'em.

Why would you take back what you said. I think those words work just fine dont let the onslaught of comments against it make you change it.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Um...it's not like the episodes disappear or anything after the day they air. They stay on the site you know.

well some do disappear but only a few and bleach episode prolly won't be removed.
luhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So the petition I heard about getting DB to sub the episodes on CR didn't work out? I don't even know if one actually existed - I heard about it from my brother, but didn't go into researching it since I lost interest in Bleach a long time ago.

Why would a now-legit site like CR want to deal with unofficial fansubbers when they can get access to officially-approved subtitles?

Many of the subtitles for CR shows are being done by ex-fansubbers. The people at DB were hoping to get in on some of that (paid) action. They've been doing Bleach subs for a long time. I doubt the CR subs will be any better than theirs were.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
Many of the subtitles for CR shows are being done by ex-fansubbers. The people at DB were hoping to get in on some of that (paid) action. They've been doing Bleach subs for a long time. I doubt the CR subs will be any better than theirs were.

As I said, though, that's not the issue and I don't want to get another debate started about that.

While it may have been possible for ex-fansubbers to get work on some other titles CR streams, do remember that Bleach has been Viz's exclusive baby for several years now. DB shouldn't have reasonably expected that the Viz personnel would have let anyone else step into their exclusive territory in a professional capacity like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vapors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear about this now. So that means the big 3 are taken care of. I've put off on going to CR for some time now, but there are now just too many incentives in not not going there. Now just need to figure out how to get the feed from my comp to my TV.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

(And let's not get into a debate again about the relative quality of unofficial vs. official subs. The official ones, whether better or not, are the completely legal ones.)
Personally, I don't care about the quality of fansubs - I've only seen two series fansubbed because I doubt/had doubts they'll be licensed, and otherwise stick with legal streams and purchases.

I was mostly curious if anyone else had heard of this and wanted to comment on it.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
Key wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

There is a possibility that the subs for Bleach will be inferior to the fansub. I gather there are a lot of complaints about how bad the subs for Naruto are and they are being handeled by the same people (Viz). The problem is that it isn't CRs group of ex-fansubbers doing the translation, they're mostly competant (read correctly in English, don't leave terms untranslated etc.)I think it's a matter of not being proof read by a native english speaker more than anything.

@ Key it sounded like they wanted to use the fansubbers and got landed with the Viz ones
Quote:
For subtitles, since BLEACH is already licensed by VIZ Media in the US, VIZ Media will continue to provide the official translation and subtitling for the newest episodes as well. Some of you have given us excellent feedback regarding subtitles, which we forwarded on to Japan. Please note that CR does NOT handle the subtitles for BLEACH (nor Naruto). While we thank you for your comments regarding proposed subtitling vendors for BLEACH, and tried our best to persuade based on your feedback however, we don't have any control over this matter!

vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
That pretty much guarantees CR will be getting my $19.95 every three months for the foreseeable future...Most of my weekly shows are on there now...
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
A fan petition actually worked. go figure that.
mitase

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
A fan petition actually worked. go figure that.

you cant acquire a show, especially something like Bleach, that quickly. They already had the title when they did the poll on CR.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
luhead wrote:
Many of the subtitles for CR shows are being done by ex-fansubbers. The people at DB were hoping to get in on some of that (paid) action. They've been doing Bleach subs for a long time.

While it may have been possible for ex-fansubbers to get work on some other titles CR streams, do remember that Bleach has been Viz's exclusive baby for several years now. DB shouldn't have reasonably expected that the Viz personnel would have let anyone else step into their exclusive territory in a professional capacity like that.

This is all actually covered in the announcement on Crunchyroll:

"For subtitles, since BLEACH is already licensed by VIZ Media in the US, VIZ Media will continue to provide the official translation and subtitling for the newest episodes as well. Some of you have given us excellent feedback regarding subtitles, which we forwarded on to Japan. Please note that CR does NOT handle the subtitles for BLEACH (nor Naruto). While we thank you for your comments regarding proposed subtitling vendors for BLEACH, and tried our best to persuade based on your feedback however, we don't have any control over this matter!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6