• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, BioWare Work on Animated Dragon Age Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Well normally I'd agree with you on the video game assessment, Tuxedocat, anime has their hits and duds based on video games, Gungrave comes to mind.

We're just gonna have to roll the dice and hope for a hit (or near hit) as opposed to crash and burn failure, it does have somethings going for it (pencil and paper RPG and novels help...)

Gungrave is the anomaly in the video game adaptation universe. It's the only title of that sort in my collection.

I suppose there is a bare smidgen of hope, but definitely not a blind buy in my world.
Tavia_93

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Now, if they said they were going to make anime based off the Dragon Age books, I'd be a little more hopeful. However, I just don't picture Dragon Age as an anime, I picture it as a good CGI movie.

With Mass Effect, I'm happy that there is going to be a live-action for it. It doesn't need a huge budget like the Avatar movie; not when District 9 was way, WAY less than that, and that movie turned out looking incredible. Also, it seems to me that Bioware was planning a movie for ME to begin with, fashioning the characters after real people and such.

But, whatever, I'll gladly try this out to see how they do.
If anything, it will be interesting. xP
youjik33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
An anime based on the books would be pretty cool because the books are prequels. But the article doesn't really say exactly what the movie will be other than it's in the Dragon Age universe. So who knows!

I just know I won't watch anything in which spoiler[Alistair is king] because I just hate it. (That's why I love the game... freedom of choice!)
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Gungrave is the anomaly in the video game adaptation universe. It's the only title of that sort in my collection.

I suppose there is a bare smidgen of hope, but definitely not a blind buy in my world.

I bought into the Gungrave hype and picked up the thinpak a while back, but the show just didn't do it for me. I made it about 10 episodes in and gave up. There was something about the dialog that I could not get into.

Higurashi is another one that I just couldn't finish. I somehow made it through season 1 and couldn't stand the thought of another season and some OVAs. The balance between cute and gruesome just didn't work for me. Add in the rather weak art and lack of any detail, and I certainly was not sold.

Personally, I have 3 videogame adaptations, if you can even count them. Air, Clannad, and Kanon. Razz I can totally admit that they're not incredible works of art either, but something about them makes me want to rewatch a few episodes of each every once in a while.

Last edited by ZenErik on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Tavia_93 wrote:
Now, if they said they were going to make anime based off the Dragon Age books, I'd be a little more hopeful. However, I just don't picture Dragon Age as an anime, I picture it as a good CGI movie.

They seem to be using their terms loosely, calling a direct-to-video OVA a "feature film" (is film likely to be involved in the production chain at all?). They haven't mentioned an animation studio yet, and could well be planning pure CGI. But I think live on-screen actors are ruled out.
youjik33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't do CGI. CGI people tend to fall into the Uncanny Valley if I look at them too long. I couldn't even watch Avatar because the Na'vi creeped me out too much.
Zilan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Age sucks. Mass Effect please.
Tavia_93

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:

They haven't mentioned an animation studio yet, and could well be planning pure CGI. But I think live on-screen actors are ruled out.

Yeah, I think that too after reading the press release about this.
But, true true~ it's still possible it could be CGI still. If it's not though, I just hope that the animation studio they pick gets the style and artwork right - I think gritty, detailed artwork would be most appropriate.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

I bought into the Gungrave hype and picked up the thinpak a while back, but the show just didn't do it for me. I made it about 10 episodes in and gave up. There was something about the dialog that I could not get into.

Higurashi is another one that I just couldn't finish. I somehow made it through season 1 and couldn't stand the thought of another season and some OVAs. The balance between cute and gruesome just didn't work for me. Add in the rather weak art and lack of any detail, and I certainly was not sold.

Personally, I have 3 videogame adaptations, if you can even count them. Air, Clannad, and Kanon. Razz I can totally admit that they're not incredible works of art either, but something about them makes me want to rewatch a few episodes of each every once in a while.

Well, people are gonna like what they like....

Titles like Air, Clannad and Kanon do indeed have a plot, but didn't the animation company completely change things around from the source material so that they would have a plot?

I didn't buy them because the character designs in those shows is just too weird. The male and female characters look like different species. Too distracting for me.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
For the ME movie to be good it can't follow the plot of the games. Shepard shouldn't even be the main character unless the movie focuses on his experience on Akuze (the horrible event he experienced before ME1 and what got him recognized by the council to give him Specter status.)
But it would be problematic if they decided to make the film about Shepard's experience on Akuze, as that is only one of the backgrounds you can choose for him/her. Really, the ME movie should not be related to the trilogy's main plot or Shepard in any way. They have plenty of interesting backstory to work with. Likewise, I don't want this Dragon Age anime to be based off of the first game's plot, just because of all the variables.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Since the other thread about this seems dead, I'll repost a couple of questions here.

First, what is the intended market for this show? Will it be in English and marketed primarily in R1? I thought Funi's co-production venture would be taking properties that are well known both in North America and in Japan and producing them with a Japanese studio for both markets. Is that true for Dragon Age? Bioware seems pretty much an R1 type of company, or am I wrong?

Since we don't know who the studio will be yet, should we expect it to be made by a Japanese house? Can it be called "anime" if it's not made in Japan?
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
@Yuna

It will still be anime. Largely of use of the word is wrong anyway, that's why its more valid when you put japanese in front of it.

Dragon Age is a cool game, and I welcome this kind of co-production, as it gives the japanese studios a much needed cash injection, I say, 2011 is going to be cool with Dragon Age and Thundercats anime on the way. Sure, Halo Wars might not been everyones cup of tea, (I could see this when they said it was going to have, so many japanese chefs, when what they should have really pushed for was a 13 episode series, with one running story), so long as Halo and anime sells, it will make money.

I hope the Mass Effect live action film does well, as we need more game to film adaptions with decent stories to tell. After Prince of Persia, I think the subject matter will be taken more seriously, than games have been before. CG would have been a nice option, but look how much Avatar spent on it. Also while Advent Children was cool, only fans would watch and buy it. Hollywood studios have to think bigger than that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:
Electronic Arts' BioWare game studio and ...

Translation: the DVD will require 24 hour online connectivity in order to view the anime. For those who buy the anime used, they'll be required to purchase a $20+ activation code in order to view it.

In other words, I despise EA

That's a strange misspelling of "Ubisoft."
TJR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
First, what is the intended market for this show? Will it be in English and marketed primarily in R1? I thought Funi's co-production venture would be taking properties that are well known both in North America and in Japan and producing them with a Japanese studio for both markets.

Funimation's co-production focus is the American market and not Japan. They're working with properties that are big in the US and have the potential to become mainstream hits (selling hundreds of thousands of copies, if not a million; etc.).

While Japanese anime studios will create the content, appealing directly to that country isn't the goal.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I never get tired of that game.

That and Witcher. If only...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4