• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime... Was it just a phase in my life? Yours?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Naitron wrote:
Anyways enough rambling just wondering if anyone else feels the same way?

Can't say that I have and this is ~30 years of anime viewing. The key is moderation. Anything in excess is going to cause burn-out, so don't feel bad you don't have the excitement to rush "this or that".

Well I was going to tell DuelLady I had her beat with 14-15 years at this point but that would be a bit pointless compared to 30 years. Then again I could add another 5-7 or so of viewing it while not knowing what it was but that's still not 30. I'll get there eventually. If it is a phase though I mirror DuelLady's comment that is sure is a long one. And is one I have to grow out of. I personally doubt it though. My anime fandom has expanded much beyond mere anime watching. I collect PVC models and posters. I build resin kits. I hunt endlessly for new wallpapers to use and to turn into avatars. I got to cons annually. Often multiple cons in a year. It's much more then a phase but a true long standing hobby for me. I doubt I'll ever grow out of it. Sure I have my lapses where I take breaks but that happens with everything eventually. You can only do the same thing for so long before you need a bit of a break. I have over the years become more particular about my anime and how I enjoy my hobby but it's no less fun now then it was all those years ago. What really excites me and how I enjoy anime has changed over time as I've become more ingrained and knowledgeable about anime but my appreciation and enjoyment is still on the same level.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion it is utterly dependant on the person. Anime like all art forms has it's own clearly defined tropes and cliche's. However those said things are very different from western cinema so to the new Anime fan they seem fresh and exciting. Therefore it is totally natural that as your knowledge of Anime increases the number of shows that will appeal to you will drop.

Not to say that every Anime is a card copy of another but similar characters and settings will arise and after you have seen each of them 4 or 5 times well even sex get's boring eventually.

All I can suggest is try and figure out what you really like in an Anime and go for it. If you really can't get the feeling back though you may simply as you said be at the end of your rope with it.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
For me, its also about moderation. Sure, I may not be into alot of newer stuff nowadays, but I still watch the old stuff and find older shows that still excite me. I can be off for a few years, then suddenly jump right back in. It just has to connect with me again. Doing too much can make me back off longer.
meichuu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
If it was a phase in my life, then it certainly lasted quite a while.

My high point with the fandom went away a couple of years ago, although this summer I'm kind of getting back into the groove of watching a lot of it (trying to make up for lost time during my university term). In the long run, I can still see myself watching anime up to a certain point, especially since it's served quite a useful form of escapism for me.

Thinking about it, though, it does feel a little strange to continue watching it after all these years. I'm in my early-twenties now and am starting to feel like I should have outgrown the stuff after graduating high school. It's like, I can longer go to a brick and mortar store and walk into a anime/manga section without feeling a a little out-of-place sometimes.
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
As for me, Anime is no mere phase. It is my anti-drug and my simple little joy in life. Its something that I plan to share with future generations of my family. I for one can safely say, that my appreciation for Anime will never fade. Anime smile
MrMaury

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching anime for about 8 years now; picked up on InuYasha on Cartoon Network. I also go thru phases where I watch a bunch then slack off. Watched "Origin-Spirits of the Past" tonight and really enjoyed it.

BTW I am 53 years old. I hope I never outgrow anime.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'd say life is a "phase", maaaaaannnn.

In theory, anime covers such a wide range that it should be capable of satisfying most of your entertainment needs. Problem is, you become more critical and less easily satisfied as you become more mature and experienced. Then it gets harder and harder to find the really good stuff - though I have faith it's still out there!

I can imagine reaching a point of not really bothering with anime any more, just because it's becoming more of a chore to sort through the dross to find the good stuff. Effort vs reward, who will win?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
~nanashi~ wrote:
As for me, Anime is no mere phase. It is my anti-drug and my simple little joy in life. Its something that I plan to share with future generations of my family. I for one can safely say, that my appreciation for Anime will never fade. Anime smile

Despite my joy and love for anime I must say as an "anti-drug" it fails horribly. I mean an anti-drug that winds up making you spend more on it then the actual vice it's replacing is crazy. Laughing I often say even if I wanted to do drugs and be an alcoholic I couldn't afford to by being a hardcore anime fan heh.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Psycho101 is right for comparing anime to alcohol. I've had hobbies and interests that have come and go but something about anime sticks to me no matter how much I watch it. I don't spend as much time watching it, but I think about it often and do things related to anime such as being on this website, playing only anime-styled video games and listening primarily to J-pop and anime soundtrack songs.

I still like some of my old hobbies like Star Trek, James Bond and tree-hugging but my anime hobby will always have precedence over any urges to indulge in my old hobbies. Just like a good beer, I will never grow tired of it and I am addicted to the core (except that I rarely drink, which is a good thing).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
To me anime is my undieing hobby that feeds my need for entertainment and also a staple of my DVD collection that takes up half a room. Definitely not a "phase".

*Exits thread humming "Never Gonna Stop" by Rob Zombie*
Jen526

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Oddly enough, one of the most enjoyable things I've been doing lately is 'backtracking'- getting older anime that isn't available on DVD, or that I missed in my early fandom days. I just picked up Nadia a little while ago, for example (and I look forward to watching it for the first time.)

Hee! I just finished Nadia recently for the same reasons. Smile

I went through an extended anime dry-spell some years ago. Since I've been back, I've really been focusing on visiting (or re-visiting) older series that I either saw bits-and-pieces of back in the day, or that are just classics I never got around to.

It's been a lot of fun. Patlabor has recently become about my favorite thing ever, and I'd never have gotten around to watching it if I wasn't making a concerted effort to explore new (errr... old) territory.
Naitron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all your replies. I guess for it has to do mostly with my life style changes. Work, friends, being more physically active takes away from Anime time. Another thing is selection, I look at the newer stuff and a lot of it just does not catch my eye. So I do find myself looking for the older stuff I never watched but planned on watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2