• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Book of Eli's Albert Hughes: Warner Wants PG-13 Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm tired of people crying over PG-13. PG-13 is a rating that studios have been pushing for years. These days, anything that doesn't involve explicit sex or detailed gore is PG-13 or under.

The Dark Knight is one of the edgiest PG-13 movies out there, and guess who it's from? Yeah.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
For some reason, I was really holding out hope for this one... now I'm almost assured that it will blow.

I'd much rather they take the same money and pump out four of the anime a la Eva. And sweet buttery CRAP let's keep Morgan Freeman out of this. R Lee Ermy or somebody as "the general" is doable, but the penguin narrator guy can stay at home.

But whadda I know? I called BS on that second Batman film for the same reasons.
Morgan Freeman is awesome.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
I'm tired of people crying over PG-13.

And i'm tired of Hollywood producing mindless crap and ripping off old TV shows and films. Unfortunately, none of us will get what we want anytime soon, so looks like we'll both suffer.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
And sweet buttery CRAP let's keep Morgan Freeman out of this. R Lee Ermy or somebody as "the general" is doable, but the penguin narrator guy can stay at home.

But whadda I know? I called BS on that second Batman film for the same reasons.

Sunday Silence wrote:

And i'm tired of Hollywood producing mindless crap and ripping off old TV shows and films. Unfortunately, none of us will get what we want anytime soon, so looks like we'll both suffer.

Reibooi wrote:
Not that it matters they are probably going to butcher it regardless.

firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
When you think that this movie can get any worse then some like this happens this movie is going to suck
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
Takeyo wrote:
Hmm. Is Warner Bros. gun shy after Watchmen, or are the execs just hung up on the, "cartoons are for kids," fallacy?

Well neither. After all, if the execs were still hung up on the "cartoons are for kids" sterotype currently, non of the Adult Swim cartoon shows (ex: "The Venture Bros.") would still be running today, especially when Warner Bros. still owns all the Adult Swim properties.

Right, because obviously the entirety of Time Warner and its numerous subsidiaries are are micromanaged by the same half-dozen suits. Rolling Eyes

There have been some great American animated shows, but as far as I know, most folks in North America relegate animation to either children's fare or comedy (AKA everything on AS save for whatever the Hell Tom Goes to the Mayor was).

Frankly, I think Zac hit the nail on the head with the action movie connection.
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
MAN, I must be out of the loop....Watchmen didn't do so hot???

When I first read this I was ready to whine too...then I realized that "The Dark Knight" was PG-13 too...(-_-);;

I guess they need to appeal to as many people as possible....

But it's not like uncut/director's edition DVD's don't exist...
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
hahahah Zac, as always I can count on you for a laugh. Fanboys cannot be pleased.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
YoSoyJaponesa wrote:
MAN, I must be out of the loop....Watchmen didn't do so hot???

When I first read this I was ready to whine too...then I realized that "The Dark Knight" was PG-13 too...(-_-);;

I guess they need to appeal to as many people as possible....

But it's not like uncut/director's edition DVD's don't exist...
It made a 50 million dollar profit. So it did okay.
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
i'm pretty sure that a PG-13 Akira is impossible to pull off. WB, man up and give us full R quality head explosion, boob showing goodness. It will make money if it is good!
Panon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for being faithful to the source don't get me wrong, but of all the things that stand in the way of an adaption of Akira turning out well, not being able to show 15 year olds popping pills or limbs exploding is honestly pretty far down the list.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote=Zac's Twitter]Can Justin Bieber play Akira himself? < Oh then they can play "Baby" during the creepy old kids sequence![/quote]

Nah, to be honest Kaneda looks a little bit like Justin Bieber. Why not let Bieber debut his first role in a movie in Akira. Say what you will about the kid, but we don't know if he can act or not.

Last edited by KanjiiZ on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
i'm pretty sure that a PG-13 Akira is impossible to pull off. WB, man up and give us full R quality head explosion, boob showing goodness. It will make money if it is good!

I'm still embarrassed by the "boob scene" because it's not in the manga and that one particular act doesn't really contribute anything to the film in my opinion...Then again maybe I'm too used to the American view of "No, sex should be more censored than violence! Naked body bad!" But if that were taken out I wouldn't be too upset. I would be upset if Tetsuo killed the people and they just kinda...fell or something.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Daimao: That's not profit. 'Cus you have to take into account P+A. But it probably broke even, at least. It just wasn't a hit.

Kanji: If he can't even sing, he sure as f**k can't act. Rolling Eyes
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
When you think that this movie can get any worse then some like this happens this movie is going to suck

Well sure seems the suck parade is in town. Ya know I won't argue on the quality of previously released live anime films because the fact is their quality honestly doesn't matter. Sure DB Evolution sucked dragon balls but that doesn't matter. Just as Akira could be a masterpiece and it won't matter. The raving fanboys and fangirls will still find something to complain about with the movie no matter what. Some people just cannot be pleased no matter what. Yet I bet many of the haters will still buy a ticket and go see the movie if for no other reaosn then to rush online and bitch about it.

Now personally I think given the dark and graphic nature of Akira a PG-13 rating could really hurt it. The director will have his work cut out. Now on the reverse side it could perhaps not hinder it much. Take the new Batman movies, especially Dark Knight. The original comics were more graphic and full of gritty violence. Nolan did a very superb job of showing that gritty dark nature within the confines of a PG-13 rating. So it can be done. And Akira is a movie, like Bebop, where I think a live action adaptation is more easily doable then a Dragon Ball one. Or one similar. Furthermore I think a Gary Oldman or Morgan Freeman for the Colonel would be a damn fine choice. Both are great actors who have done many outstanding roles in many different kinds of movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6