• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Det. Conan Anime Cited in Korean Teen Killing's Aftermath

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:
And about the Metro article... don't be too concerned. As Moomintroll said, it's not exactly The Guardian.

So, what do Metro readers believe who is in power then? Doesn't the Guardian readers believe they should run the country?
Treetastic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Treetastic wrote:
And about the Metro article... don't be too concerned. As Moomintroll said, it's not exactly The Guardian.

So, what do Metro readers believe who is in power then? Doesn't the Guardian readers believe they should run the country?

City transit. And kudos for the Yes, Minister reference. Smile
Metro wrote:
Manga are comic strips or cartoon films originating in Japan and drawn in a distinctive style. The adult versions of the comics are extremely popular in the Far East and often contain scenes of girls and women being raped and tortured.

There are so, so many things wrong with this paragraph.
The Mask wrote:
I read in a Detective Conan forum that they could not determine which particular anime episode in the show featured draining blood as a method in disposing a corpse. This raises the question of the accuracy of the statement made by the victim's boyfriend.
Anyone care to answer what particular episode/movie/chapter featured the draining of a corpse's blood?

That's a good point, come to think of it. I don't remember anything like that either. It seems a little gruesome, even for DC. Then again, "inspired" doesn't necessarily mean that this is what happened in the episode, just something similar.
Besides, if I had just murdered somebody, getting the name of the show right wouldn't be the first thing on my mind.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Well seeing how bringing up anime as inspiration for body disposal might be part of their defense in order to raise the doubt about their mental state at the time of the murder, one would think getting the name right would be key.

I think Korea still have the death penalty. So I would think these kids will try anything for their defense. They should really make sure these episodes exist before making the claims. Imaginary episodes don't get shown on TV in court.

Like others have asked. I am still curious on what episode they watched as since this case was announced I have not stumbled upon any DC with blood draining used or mentioned as a method of disposal.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I hate doing this but I'm making an exception and doing it:

The Mask wrote:
Being a fan of Detective Conan, it's really disappointing that the series got dragged into this case. But what's more disappointing is that Metro turned it into a "'manga' killing" when manga only came to the spotlight with regards to disposing the already-dead body and had no connection to the actual murder.

On a more important note, I offer my condolences to the family and friends of the victims and I pray that her soul will rest in peace.

QFT.

Also the original article? Very entertaining and scary. And absolutely misleading if I didn't know more about the diversity of manga and anime and the differences between Conan and Higurashi. What the "reporter" did is like if some incident happened and a kid referenced Soul Eater; then they put up a gory picture from Berserk. That is just... wow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3