• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Band of Brothers [2010-06-28]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

I'm not arguing about whether they said people shouldn't like it. I'm saying that it casts a negative light on it when one or the other is considered correct. If I tell you that your answer to a question is incorrect, then that means that there is something wrong with it. If I tell you it is correct, then that means that it is as it should be. Correctness implies that something is superior in some way over the alternatives. Would you rather be right most of the time, or wrong most of the time?

No matter how you justify your interpretation it does not matter. No one was talking about superiority here. You are the only one bringing that into the equation.

And for the record I think something that is correct or incorrect should be impartial and based on facts. It should have absolutely nothing to do with opinion which is where terms like superior come in.

Which is exactly why I've been trying to point out the problem with using the term "correct continuity." Each show has it's own contunuity with some overlapping aspects, but neither is correct in a factual sense. Correct leads to the idea that something is a fact, and the topic at hand is too debatable for it to be used.

And no, Dorcus_Aurelia actually brought the problem with using "correct continuity", and I simply chimed in with my support for that stance. Other people mentioned it, too.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Which is exactly why I've been trying to point out the problem with using the term "correct continuity." Each show has it's own contunuity with some overlapping aspects, but neither is correct in a factual sense. Correct leads to the idea that something is a fact, and the topic at hand is too debatable for it to be used.

Actually when you are speaking about "canon" one series can be correct based on the definition of the term. In this case I think both series are correct based on the fact that they are in separate universes (although only the manga is the original creator's canon).

However I don't agree that saying something is not canon or not the correct continuity automatically means you are saying it is inferior.

Quote:
And no, Dorcus_Aurelia actually brought the problem with using "correct continuity", and I simply chimed in with my support for that stance. Other people mentioned it, too.

You are right about Dorcas_Aurelia being the first to bring it up. I apologize.

However what other people are discussing is not whether the term correct continuity has anything to do with superiority but whether this term applies to the two different FMA series. This is something that can be argued using facts not opinions.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Actually when you are speaking about "canon" one series can be correct based on the definition of the term. In this case I think both series are correct based on the fact that they are in separate universes (although only the manga is the original creator's canon).

However I don't agree that saying something is not canon or not the correct continuity automatically means you are saying it is inferior.

Quote:

You are right about Dorcas_Aurelia being the first to bring it up. I apologize.

However what other people are discussing is not whether the term correct continuity has anything to do with superiority but whether this term applies to the two different FMA series. This is something that can be argued using facts not opinions.

And I'm right there with you that both could be considered as correct as the other in their own way, it's just that only one was stated as being correct. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the implications of using such terms since I don't think either of us is willing to concede.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I was a bit tired and "correct" was the best word I could think of at the time (the alternate word was "the original, the whole original, and nothing but the original so help me Miyazaki" but that didn't seem quite right) so apparently I should've just gone to bed and not posted. I wasn't trying to say any variant was worse than the others but that the definition of canon only referred to the original work.
amarielah wrote:
@ wandering-dreamer
Since you apparently like TV Tropes, I would like to refer you to to this page. Alternate continuities are canonical within their own continuity, but not canonical with respect to each other. It's really as simple as that.

I was trying to differentiate between an alternate continuity (which is a very fair point and you could call the original FMA anime an alternate continuity by the end of the series) and the original story canon. I suppose that yes, you could look at each adaption as being separate with it's own canon but I always viewed stories as having the original narration being canon and the adaptions being simply adaptions.
So yeah, never intended to cause a small-scale explosion like that.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Therefore, all FMA written by Arakawa is canon, the parts that deviate from what she wrote (ie, deviate from the manga) are not canon. You can still like them perfectly well but they are not the correct continuity.

(Emphasis mine)

Now that's just being insulting. The implication you're making there is that because the first series didn't specifically match Arakawa's story, it is inherently inferior.

Also, your quibbling over what qualifies as canon undermines the point, especially given that the original author had input into the resolution of the series, muddying the waters.

See, that's the attitude that I've been railing against ever since Brotherhood was first annonced. The idea that following the manga is automatically better. As I understand it, when manga is used as a source for anime, it's always something of an adpatation. Some are looser, some are tighter, and it's not the reletive cloeseness that determines quality, but the actual show itself.

Nobody is really saying this, yes I believe the manga is better, I also believe the manga for Mai-Hime is better because it didn't force the plot like the anime did nor did it have a rape is love subplot.

I just think that Hiromu Arakawa made one of the all time greatest mangas ever, and I can't think the same for the anime. It was really only good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6