• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ōkami-san & Her Seven Companions (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
Nice episode with a few surprised sprinkled about. I agree with about the maid girl. That was quite the surprise flashback but makes a good bit of sense in explaining her personality in a very real manner rather then the common "that's just her character" approach other animes do.

I thought Ryoushi aunt was done well too. At first your bound to think, "oh, the big sister character who is single but almost 30 and probably a littler ero" character has appeared. Sigh *Insert incest pairing*. But then they show she spoiler[has a husband and her confident, authoritative side when the maid girl fell ill] which really changed her to the "oh, she's the dependable parent figure" character. I found that a bit refreshing seeing as how they first presented her in the first few minutes.

And there was nice character development for Ookami and Ryoushi dispite it not being an episode focused around them. All the little bits of dere were nice.
Skylark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
EDIT: this is relative to the episode that was released today; I forget which number. But yeah. 5 I think.

Narrator back in full force. Seriously, I found myself shouting in frustration at the screen, screaming expletives as I replayed a scene for about the third time successively to hear what had been said. She spent nearly the entire first half talking over the top of the other characters and it was REALLY annoying. Then, to come to the end of an episode we get a reasonably cliche scene that might have pulled the mood off, until.... the narrator opens her stupid fat mouth again. Why they ever thought it would work is beyond me, but for me it is ruining a perfectly good series right now.

Other than that, a good and interesting episode. I wonder what happened in Ookami's past to make her take on the strong face and boxing skills, and what her previous relationship with this guy was.

Last edited by Skylark on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
I agree that the creators were again idiots and had the narrator talking over the other characters and useing the same voice. The only thing I can think of is that there was some things they needed to say. But a lot of it was useless, should have been left to the audience to make that opinion of someone, and her standard use of voice gets annoying. There is no need to tell us what to think over the very dialogue that helps us personally make such opinions. I want them to take it back to what they did in the earlier episode, it was actually an enjoyable part.

Well regardless I enjoyed the episode, it seems that this episode's theme was of the one that was the main in the folk tale episode of Kaichou wa Maid-sama. I assume thatspoiler[ the girl (the one who can actually scares Ryoko) was the person in search of demons, and teamed up with the three animals.] Actually we were treated to two characters Ryoko seems to be afraid of though for two different reasons, one was in the beauty episode, which I actually remember seeing, and the other seems to be a bad guy. He also reminded me of a wolf for some reason, but more intimidating, seems we will get some story in this.

Also Ryoko finally showed some dere to Ryoshi, it seems that she is finally letting her guared down with him and is trusting him more. Also next episode seems to be named after Little red Rideing Hood, which is allready a bit of the central theme of the three main characters. I wonder what exactly that means, maybe we will get some more fleshing out of the characters, or maybe focus on Ringo, I would like to have some more about her character.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
I've gotten used to the narrator at this point but it could just be that I'm just that crazy awesome at reading subs. Cool

Man, this has turned into a completely different show than what I was expecting. It went from "mindless distraction" to "actually a pretty decent show."

Lol at Ryoushi's leg fetish.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Narrator wasn't as bad this ep.

I'm glad that this episode said more about Ryoko and Ringo's past. It's interesting to see how they became friends in the first place.

The leg fetish thing was funny.

So now that Funimation got the rights, we can start talking about what we think would be a good dub cast.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I think the narrator did not bug me as much as usual in episode 6, in fact the leg fetish bit is probably the best joke she has said. Kind of like watching a show or movie with someone, and the other person says makes a joke that turns the scene from kind of sweet to being a bit creepy.

Also thumbs up to seeing the past, I might say that the episode played the story Little Red Rideing Hood straight, aswell as subverting it. spoiler[Ringo (Little Red) went to go visit a sick person, though this verson had her expecting scary, but ended up finding a "sheep in wolf's clothing". Little Red also ended up pursuing the Wolf, and we had Little Red calling out for help when the Wolf gets in trouble. And Ryoushi may be a subversion to a hunter in that he watches "prey" because he is actually afraid.]

Loved the parts which had Ryouko secretly doing cute things, probably also my favourite thing they have decided to put on repeat at the end of an episode. Also to go on from what I said last week of an actual Big Bad Wolf, the villain looks like a Wolf in sheeps clothing, especially if you note his hair colour being white and transition.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
I like the narrator... but she definitely gets on my nerves. Sometimes the dialogue goes a little fast in this series as it is and she definitely isn't helping.

Maybe that's because I can't read 4 lines of text simultaneously and sort out who's voice goes with what dialogue while trying to watch what's happening on the screen.

Like the series so far... but the narrator needs to back off a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
A couple of notes to name-references that have been missed in this thread, so far:

The MC at the beauty pageant was named Shirayuki Himeko, likely a cognate of Snow White (Shirayukihime).

Mentioned in passing as a resident of Ryoushi's Aunt Yumi's boarding house (along with Hänsel and Gretel) is Shiratori Mahiru, who would be a cognate of The Ugly Duckling (shiratori = swan, ahiru=duck).

As for the Narratrix, I really don't see why everybody is hating on her. I think she's an amusing way to break the fourth wall, and an integral character in her own right.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

As for the Narratrix, I really don't see why everybody is hating on her. I think she's an amusing way to break the fourth wall, and an integral character in her own right.

I don't think people are hating on her so much as how badly she's integrated into the show. To quote Bento-Box "I Iike the narrator... but." Compare how she is used with the narrator in Haytate no Gotoku, Both add a humorous commentary to the proceedings but IIRC he never talks over people and he certainly never breaks the flow of dialog between characters. If it weren't for the scenes where the cast reacts to what she says I'd wonder if she was added post-production to spice up what they felt was too boring of a story.

Part of the problem may also be that no fansubbers have figured out a good way to differentiate the narrators text from the casts either.... a different font, font size, or font color would help but I haven't come across a group that has done so yet... although I haven't seen Funimation's job yet- I wish they'd catch up so it'd be a true simulcast.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
abunai wrote:

I don't think people are hating on her so much as how badly she's integrated into the show. To quote Bento-Box "I Iike the narrator... but." Compare how she is used with the narrator in Haytate no Gotoku, Both add a humorous commentary to the proceedings but IIRC he never talks over people and he certainly never breaks the flow of dialog between characters. If it weren't for the scenes where the cast reacts to what she says I'd wonder if she was added post-production to spice up what they felt was too boring of a story.

Ah, I think I see what the problem is. Everybody is viewing the Narratrix as a classic narrator voice, intended to explain the situation to the viewer. But she's not -- she's a character in her own right. She is the presence in the anime of the voice that must be present in every fairy tale: the voice of the person telling the story. Anybody who has ever read a fairy tale to a child knows that it's not just a case of reading aloud. Questions will be asked and must be answered, and the storyteller is constantly polled about his/her opinion and interpretation of the story.

And, because the Narratrix is a character, not merely a narration device, she is capable of interacting with the other characters -- which sometimes means that they are speaking at the same time, reacting to each other.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
Part of the problem may also be that no fansubbers have figured out a good way to differentiate the narrators text from the casts either.... a different font, font size, or font color would help but I haven't come across a group that has done so yet... although I haven't seen Funimation's job yet- I wish they'd catch up so it'd be a true simulcast.

You may have a point about the subs -- I don't really notice that, since I only occasionally read them anymore. But even so, doesn't this issue apply to all situations where characters speak over each others' voices? I seem to remember having seen subs where several different voice tracks (music lyrics, character voices, and a background voice track from a TV broadcast, for instance) were playing at the same time, and were subbed concurrently.

- abunai
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

You may have a point about the subs -- I don't really notice that, since I only occasionally read them anymore. But even so, doesn't this issue apply to all situations where characters speak over each others' voices? I seem to remember having seen subs where several different voice tracks (music lyrics, character voices, and a background voice track from a TV broadcast, for instance) were playing at the same time, and were subbed concurrently.

- abunai

Yes, it certainly isn't a unique problem- I recently rewatched the officially subbed Ai Yori Aoshi and that problem was constant- especially with the damn songs.
I have seen it done in ways that work, often in professionally subbed foreign films. If two or three characters are talking at once the text is justified according to their screen orientation (the person speaking on the left has left justified text, etc.). And I have seen subs with different colored subs for different characters when there is overlapping text. One of the simplest ways to differentiate the the "Narratrix" would be to simply have her text at the top of the screen.

...the other slight problem I have with her is that I keep wondering what Kuroko from Railgun is doing in the show. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
That is a pretty cool interpretation abunai. I might also state that I found the narrator even better when she chose to use a more pleasing voice. I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't like the idea of being read a story by Kuroko, especially if she kept telling me how flat the characters are.

But I think I might look at the narrator's purpose a bit diferently now, it is an interesting addition in the sense of being the one reading a fairy tale.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
That is a pretty cool interpretation abunai. I might also state that I found the narrator even better when she chose to use a more pleasing voice. I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't like the idea of being read a story by Kuroko, especially if she kept telling me how flat the characters are.

But I think I might look at the narrator's purpose a bit differently now, it is an interesting addition in the sense of being the one reading a fairy tale.

Though the narrator isn't that bad, I just wish she would know she'd know when to shut the hell up. I am sorry if that offends anyone, but seriously, how can I take a serious scene seriously if that if she keeps yammering away?

There comes a point in life where a person just needs to shut up and keep quiet. It's like breaking the fourth wall, can be funny if done well and can be exceptionally stupid if overdone.

If this show had a weak point, it would be the fact the narrator can be a little to vocal at times. Otherwise this is a pretty great show, I look forward to picking this show up in 2011.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
the Narratrix,

I think we should just stick with Kuroko Razz

I know FUNi owns Railgun now so when this gets dubbed, I wonder if they'll keep whoever voices Kuroko as the narrator.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
I think Episode 7 was largely for fans to see a different side to Ryouko. A highlight for me was when we saw a crepe shop, not much at first, my mind went to another crepe shop appearing in spoiler[Railgun] which had spoiler[cameos in it then]. A little closer inspection I noticed that spoiler[there was a couple of cameos, what looked like Misaka and Kuroko (her seiyu is also the narator) both from Railgun, I think I also saw Shana, and I think the last one the only thing I could think of was possibly Ami from Toradora.]

Well apart from that we got to see a spoiler["sheepish" Ryouko, kind of a mix of cute and bits of sad in that she had been betrayed and become like she had now. It looks like 13 year old her might have liked him, a bit sad to hear she forgot it, although when she said she was not haungry because she had a parfait, I realised before they said anything that it contradiced what she said.]

We got a bit more on the main story, it looks like spoiler[mr Big Bad Wolf raped her, and her friends that she really relied on turned against her.] Tragic yes, but makes a likeable character for going though that and comeing out the other side.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8