• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live on Tape from Anime Expo 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
OK, getting confused now. Confused

-When you say full nudity in the Opening, do you mean in the opening credits or the opening episode? I guess if push comes to shove I can skip past that bit, though I'm not crazy about it.

Opening credits. But it's at the very end of it and like I said the worse you get is Index's rear end when she does a turn for a second, plus it's the first opening so you only have to deal with it for 12 or so episodes in
Shichimi wrote:

-How frequent is the fanservice? Is it isolated within certain episodes, or does it occur more or less throughout?

It's more frequent in Railgun than in Index due to a "Certain Lesbian Teleporter" screen time but it's not the main focus of the show
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
As for the shojo question, as a girl, I have to say, I don't really buy sappy romantic stories, the only one I've actually bought was RomeoXJuliet. I do enjoy Fruits Basket and I started High School Debut, but nothing really appeals to me in the genre. And if Twilight doesn't sell, and that's not really a manga that's manwa, at least I think it is, then shojo isn't really going to sell, unless it's really good, or based off something we already know, like RomeoXJuliet.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else think the guy at the end sounded really pretentious? Like he was trying to justify his love of anime because of the "Shakespearean" personification of the characters?

I really dislike when people try to say anime is some artform that transcends anything that would ever be done by Western studios.

I don't know what anime he's been watching lately, but not everything gets that same detail of character. I enjoy Dragonball and Naruto as much as I enjoy Cowboy Bebop and Death Note. Just sayin', anime ain't ALL that.

Besides, most American cartoons that get that type of detail are usually turned into movies. Like the Disney golden age of animation (before the 3D animation).
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
As for the shojo question, as a girl, I have to say, I don't really buy sappy romantic stories, the only one I've actually bought was RomeoXJuliet. I do enjoy Fruits Basket and I started High School Debut, but nothing really appeals to me in the genre. And if Twilight doesn't sell, and that's not really a manga that's manwa, at least I think it is, then shojo isn't really going to sell, unless it's really good, or based off something we already know, like RomeoXJuliet.

You know I find it funny that girls don't really like shojou as much as guys do, everytime I ask a girl what type of manga she reads it's always in the shounen seinen variety and the most response I get in the shojou variety are either Fruit Baskets or NANA, but I know a guy who loves shojou manga. Hmmm, go figure
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
Why did the creepy guy get two questions? Was he just too funny to avoid?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
A few people got to go twice. We had a big room, but unfortunately a timeslot that put us up against the Trigun movie, AX Idol and several other huge events. We still got a decent turnout, but the line to ask questions was not insurmountable.

I think we might have had a bad wire or bad connector, hence the ground loop fault you heard.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Guys, that was a great podcast. It was fun to hear it live and unfiltered. As I sat and cringed through some of the questions (or better described as a speech that eventually results in a question) I was reminded of Comic-Con coming up in a few weeks. You get the same kind of personalities, except in panels about movies or comic books, or maybe a little anime too.

Zac, hopefully you're headed to Comic-Con, it'd be great to see you roaming the exhibit hall floor. Very Happy
Pandadice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
A few people got to go twice. We had a big room, but unfortunately a timeslot that put us up against the Trigun movie, AX Idol and several other huge events. We still got a decent turnout, but the line to ask questions was not insurmountable.

I think we might have had a bad wire or bad connector, hence the ground loop fault you heard.

wait a minute.. surely you weren't up against the only Trigun film screening? There has to of been other screenings.. cause if not, I hope you guys slapped every one of the people who came there for not going to the trigun movie.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

wait a minute.. surely you weren't up against the only Trigun film screening? There has to of been other screenings.. cause if not, I hope you guys slapped every one of the people who came there for not going to the trigun movie.

Yes, it was the only screening.

No I did not chastize my audience for being gracious enough to come and see us do the show. What's wrong with you?
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast once again. I was kinda worried for you guys when I heard it was going to be live because one never knows whats going to happen, but you managed it all really well! I hope you'll consider doing it again next year. Smile
Tuskus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Poor Princess Knight Guy. Regardless, I'd love to Vertical license that manga, and I'd sign the petition to get it streaming. That is, if I could find it.

Princess Knight Guy, show me your petition so I can make you feel better!
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Another good podcast guys. I would totally sign a petition to get streaming Princess Knight. Though now I could think of some other classic shows I totally would want to see online (cough...Rose of Versailles...cough). If Vertical were to release the Princess Knight manga I'd totally buy it too.

I think with girls and shoujo (in America) there is a generational difference. I'm 30 and many of my first experience with with manga were senien titles. Senien is still probably my favorite demographic genre. I've like some josei but I haven't read enough of it to really say any more then that.

I know a lot of younger girls like modern shoujo though. I like a lot of the classics but I find much of today's stuff bland and to focused on romance. I want to see cool female characters being powerful and bad-ass. That is one of the reasons I got into anime. I was tired of American cartoons with Power Princess or some crap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
WARNING: If you're at work and you plan on listening to this, be prepared to tell your co-workers you're laughing at a new LOLCat image.

This podcast was absolutely hilarious. It's an anime roast, and it's a good one. It definitely retains one of my precious thoughts: you anime fans are freakin' weird. Really weird. But that's what makes the world go 'round.

I cringed at the "What do you think of fansubs" question. I could literally hear Zac's forehead vein starting to throb (and it's not an audio problem), ready to pounce on the question. The comment about whipping it out and pissing right there was pretty funny, though.

While we do have our disagreements on certain topics here on the forum, I must now confess I'd be very skeptical at approaching the booth.

Not because I'm afraid of Zac, but in receiving anything related to Heat Guy J. I own the complete series.
Razz

See you next time, leeches.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

Yes, it was the only screening.

No I did not chastize my audience for being gracious enough to come and see us do the show. What's wrong with you?

Was the screening free? i mean, maybe if they were charging $10, then passing on it would be understandable.. But seriously, if that was the only screening then you guys should be slapping yourselves for not going D:. What were you guys thinking?
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
What were you guys thinking?

Well, look at it from a different perspective. One, it's their job. Two, perhaps they had more fun doing the first live ANNCast than they could by watching the film?
Did you listen to it yet? I'd say it was one of the best so far. Not worth giving up on that for a film you're bound to watch later... in your bedroom/living room, and without others around to annoy you.

Last edited by egoist on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8