• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shiki (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
Woof, my little match turned into a blazing inferno.

Once again, people are missing the huge point here. Shiki are inherently evil. Period. THEY ARE NATURALLY AFRAID OF CROSSES AND RELIGIOUS SYMBOLS. They weren't told to be afraid of them by other shiki. That monster the doctor had tied up was crying as he brought religious items closer to it. I take that to mean that in the world of "Shiki" the show, there is a God and he is not a fan of these monsters killing his people. This might be going out on a limb here, but if God thinks they are evil, I'm going to have to side with Him.

You bring up an interesting idea here. There could be a "God" in this show, but I'm almost positive that they also used Buddhist scrolls/sutras and stuff that worked right, too? Cause if that's the case, we have too conflicting religious views fighting each other which means this "God" theory doesn't quite add up.

And just because they are afraid of crosses doesn't necessarily mean they are evil anyway. It's more than likely they just added that in because it was "cool" and "standard".

And the monk, the most pure guy in the story, even switched sides. That is a clear indication, in my opinion, that this situation isn't so simple.

Last edited by ~~EpiC~~ on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
~~EpiC~~ wrote:
How do you give 100% blame to the Shiki and no blame to Humans. Saying that ALL the Shiki were evil (not all of them kidnapped children, only a few did), doesn't really make sense. Especially when the show proved that people can resist the "urge". Are you pigeonholing them all into the same group?

Not every shiki kidnapped children, but all of them ate children as their first meal as a shiki.

And the nurse who refused to feed was not evil, she was a hero. She actually exposed the shiki for what they were; evil beings who chose to kill children.

Mr Sinister wrote:
@dtm42 .....I think I look like my parents.....

LOL.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Not every shiki kidnapped children, but all of them ate children as their first meal as a shiki.

And the nurse who refused to feed was not evil, she was a hero. She actually exposed the shiki for what they were; evil beings who chose to kill children.

I don't quite recall all of them eating children. I thought they had just ate whatever the guy had available (which wasn't necessarily children). Didn't a few of them also refuse to eat the first meal and had to drink animal blood instead too?

And then what about the main male character? He didn't eat anyone.

I think you can say that majority were evil, but again, that's not the fault of them being Shiki, more the fault of there own individual human thoughts/selfishness/whatever you want to call it.

Maybe you mean that the majority of the human group that had turned into Shiki in this movie were evil, but like you said, the Nurse showed that human decision making was the ultimate factor in peoples actions.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I can't exactly remember but Masao didn't attacked a child; he wimped out and was instead given a cup of blood to drink from.

I've watched the extra episodes and the first extra episode shows some humans in a negative light. One of them enjoyed killing the Shiki and when he killed one he knew as a child, he said "I hated this guy since childhood."

You can also preorder the series now on rightstuf, I think. It's coming out in the summer, around June or July.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
~~EpiC~~ wrote:

He became a jinrou though, and not a shiki. I'd have to check to be sure, but I think they had different feeding habits?

I'm assuming you mean Natsuno here.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
~~EpiC~~ wrote:
There could be a "God" in this show, but I'm almost positive that they also used Buddhist scrolls/sutras and stuff that worked right, too? Cause if that's the case, we have too conflicting religious views fighting each other which means this "God" theory doesn't quite add up.

My bad, I don't mean to say the god(s) in "Shiki" is necessarily God, the Christian God, I just lazily used that to mean that there is a definitive "Higher Being(s)" that is watching over the humans and hating on the shiki. There was literally a force-field protecting the people's houses stopping the shiki from getting in uninvited.

Also, I see that monk as 100% evil and unsympathetic, so I can't join in your point of view on him. That spoiler["switching sides" is called betrayal and should never go unpunished.]
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
~~EpiC~~ wrote:

He became a jinrou though, and not a shiki. I'd have to check to be sure, but I think they had different feeding habits?

I'm assuming you mean Natsuno here.
Yep, the Jinrous had different feeding habits. They also drank blood, but they didn't need it to survive. Unlike the Shiki, they could still eat normal food. The only catch was that if they didn't drink blood they would lose their supernatural superpowers until they got some blood in their system. But blood or no, they could go out in the sunlight and live a normal life if they so chose.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I figured that since I just finished this series, I should say that I enjoyed it thoroughly. I just have a few complaints.

Okay, so we're supposed to understand that the Shiki are forced to kill to survive. That's all well and good... but it takes at least 3 attacks to kill someone. Hell, they don't even get anemia until the second attack.

Why don't the Shiki just attack one person and then instead of constantly attacking and eventually killing the same person, move on to someone else? Tohru doesn't wanna kill anyone? Then he doesn't have to. Yeah, he had to kill Natsuno because of his orders, but why's he angsting so much about killing everyone else?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Okay, so we're supposed to understand that the Shiki are forced to kill to survive. That's all well and good... but it takes at least 3 attacks to kill someone. Hell, they don't even get anemia until the second attack.

Sunako wanted the village. It wasn't just a matter of food but also of shelter. Just like humanity will wipe out other living creatures existences and whole ecosystems for the sake of shelter, so too will the okiagari.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, they don't have to kill their victims, circumstance and fear (and for some a power-trip) cause them to.

The Shiki don't want their existence to be discovered. When they attack someone, the victim clearly sees who it is, and in many cases recognizes that that person is supposed to be dead. But no problem, the Shiki can order them not to tell anyone and alter their memories. For awhile. Their control over the attacked human fades after a couple days if they don't feed off them again, and then they remember what actually happened. So to keep the Shiki a secret, they must keep attacking the same person, and with only a couple days before they must attack again, that is not enough time for the victim to recover.

So that is one reason the Shiki kill, but it really depends from Shiki to Shiki. Most of the ones who don't want to kill (like Tohru) are pressured into it. Couple that with an insatiable, irresistible thirst and many act on instinct and then hate themselves later. Like binge-eaters, only a million times worse.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
^
Except that the shiki can resist the urge if they really try - that was the whole point of the nurse's existence - and they do not feel guilt for killing humans after a while. They are not out-of-control binge eaters, they are willing monsters only too pleased with their newfound abilities and immortality.

Anyway, I've made my thoughts on this show - and the morally bankrupt people who think it is a tale of grey versus grey - very clear countless times, so I'm not going to take this further.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The fear of being discovered can be easily fixed. When they feed on someone, whoever they bite can be hypnotized by them. Just command them to forget what they saw.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
they are willing monsters only too pleased with their newfound abilities and immortality.
I agree completely, with the exception of Tohru.

louis6578 wrote:
The fear of being discovered can be easily fixed. When they feed on someone, whoever they bite can be hypnotized by them. Just command them to forget what they saw.
Go back and read my post. I already addressed that.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Neh... okay. That makes sense I guess... but still.

BETTER QUESTION. Why do they keep Toshio alive so long? I remember that when Tatsumi takes Nao's mother, he starts being smug and saying Sunako wants Toshio alive longer. Why? He knows their secret and he's actively trying to stop. I can understand why she might not directly order his death, but why prevent it? He was never necessary for their plans.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
The Shiki don't want their existence to be discovered. When they attack someone, the victim clearly sees who it is, and in many cases recognizes that that person is supposed to be dead.

Why were the shiki in this tiny town of around 1500 people, where everybody knows everybody else by sight, where someone's death would be widely known, and a risen person would be immediately recognized? Why were they not hiding in the anonymity of a major city, where it's possible to get a regular night job, where they can attack salarymen so drunk that everyone the victims try to talk to and possibly even themselves would think they were hallucinating?

Because Sunako read Muroi's story and decided to take over the village for the shiki. It was, from the very beginning, the shiki's campaign of genocide directed at the village. Some individuals may deserve some sympathy because of death threats from the Kirishikis, but to allege that the events of Shiki were due to anything other than the shiki's evil plot is preposterous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 41