• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Areaith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I was at the AX anime expo 2010 over in LA this year when they showed it with english subs. It was awesome, but I was in like the 6th or 7th row so it was kinda hard to see the subtitles.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
To the person who asked if it takes place during the series:

Yes, and the directors actually thought hard on where to place it. Placing it after the series would have had a drastically different feel to it, and placing it before wouldn't let them have Wolfwood. So they picked a spot in that "neverwhen" of anime series and video games, where they can get away with adding extra stuff in without it breaking the rest of the story. However, they also said that if the movie does well enough, they would look into possibly animating the Trigun Maximum manga.

As for me, I was never a big fan of Trigun (I watched it all, and if there's nothing else on TV, I'll watch it at least for noise), but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I saw it at Sakura-Con, so it was completely raw, so I didn't even quite understand what was going on (further than the brief explanation of the set-up pre-screening). Nevertheless, the movie did what it was supposed to do: It entertained me. I had fun watching it, even if I couldn't understand what was being said.

Also, for fun, Nightow provided 6 shots (I'm assuming specific drawings) for the movie. I think I found 2-3 of them.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
However, they also said that if the movie does well enough, they would look into possibly animating the Trigun Maximum manga.

That would be awesome, hopefully it does, it would be too great to have another Trigun series like that where they can really attack the material again and make another great series, the movie is going to be simultaneously a nostalgia trip and a breath of fresh air of scifi/fantasy.

Perhaps just as important, it would also be nice because it would mean that we'd be seeing this team continue to work together after finally getting back together for this movie, they've been split up for far too long.
loempiavreter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
humantyphoon wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I find it strange that people dismiss the movie because it is just like an extended episode of the series. Dudes, the show rocked, and if the movie is just like it then the movie deserves something in the "B+" to "A+" range (depending on the exact episode it resembles).

The anime wasn't that good especially after rewatching the flaws are more apparent now then when I watched it six years ago on Adult Swim, the manga is superior given it's stronger narrative and conclusive ending. The movie is just an extended episode of the less than stellar first half of the anime and is pretty much pointless, any praise for this film is nostalgia talking and I think the "C" grade is just being generous

Why would I want a movie based on the shitty main plot. I glad this will be similar to the good part of the show.

I hated the first half, and after reading the manga/maximum I'm completely pulled over, the anime is an inferior product. The Gung Ho Guns team was the best thing the series brought.

The handicapped human bullet, Hoppered the Gauntlet still is my favorite character design I've ever seen. The manga gave him even a bigger part in the series then the anime version.

Handicapable persons kicking ass is what's it all about.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
loempiavreter wrote:

Uh...okay. I guess that's true. The anime is inferior if you consider this to be what a good story should be 'all about'.
loempiavreter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
loempiavreter wrote:

Uh...okay. I guess that's true. The anime is inferior if you consider this to be what a good story should be 'all about'.

Story? Why should I care about that Laughing
I grew up with pulp fiction (I mean the type of novels not the Tarantino movie), exploitation movies and arcade videogames, stories are only a vehicle for adventure and the last thing I care about in my entertaiment. Wink

It's not like a lot of anime has good "storytelling" so a good story would go to waste innit?...

I think that's the problem with a lot of japanese animation series for the last 10 years.

Rather have the return of Space Adventure Cobra (anything BUT the atrocious movie) and the likes where the only thing that counted was pulpy adventures, scantly clad women in barbarella atire, cocky immortal hero and bizarre space pirate villains (which did return this year, but 13 episodes was not enough!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3