• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Maid Café Opens in Richmond, B.C.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quelamune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Its literally 4 blocks up the street from where I live. I did a double take when I found out, and while i haven't had a chance to go, I WILL be going as soon as my schedule allows.

I already have friends from down south threatening to come visit because of it. Very Happy
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
Hope it fails hard enough for no one to ever think about bringing this outside of Japan again.
You're serious? If so, why may I ask?

I've despised the very idea of maid cafes from the very beginning since I saw it in Tokyo Eye. The appeal quite moronic. A "cute" maid that pretends to have the mentality of a child comes to you, acts like a weak woman and serves you overpriced coffee and cake. Oh, and don't forget you can pay her to play pattyfreakin' cake with you!

I'm sure some guy is going to come into the thread and argue that it's not like that at all, but I'm sure if you interviewed half the people that go to Akiba's cafes they'd tell you that they go there for the 3D moe effect. If this cafe is heading in that direction, I hope it falls flat on its face.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
FuwaKitty wrote:
Darn, wrong side of Canada. If only one opened up in Toronto.

Sad

Ditto-amundo. Actually, the whole maid thing doesn't do anything for me, but going to a maid cafe is on my otaku bucket list, so...
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Past wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
Hope it fails hard enough for no one to ever think about bringing this outside of Japan again.

I've despised the very idea of maid cafes from the very beginning since I saw it in Tokyo Eye. The appeal quite moronic. A "cute" maid that pretends to have the mentality of a child comes to you, acts like a weak woman and serves you overpriced coffee and cake. Oh, and don't forget you can pay her to play pattyfreakin' cake with you!

I'm sure some guy is going to come into the thread and argue that it's not like that at all, but I'm sure if you interviewed half the people that go to Akiba's cafes they'd tell you that they go there for the 3D moe effect. If this cafe is heading in that direction, I hope it falls flat on its face.

Fun fact: I encountered some Otaku in Akiba and I learnt that maid cafes' primary criterion is the quality of their food/drink. Depending on the venue there's different kinds of interactive things you can pay for - getting slapped in the face, for example (I think that was 500 yen somewhere).

Personally I don't see the harm in it; it's no worse than a hostess club.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Huh. This seems like a business that can't possibly be feasible long term but then again, there's a shop in Guildford mall right outside of Walmart that sells nothing but anime figures and apparently they're profitable so who knows.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I know maid cafe's are popular in Japan, but is there really a market for that in the US?

Not big on the geography eh.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
machetecat wrote:
DAMMIT, wrong Richmond.

Laughing

I bet lots of peeps though of Virginia right in the top of their heads too.

Guilty Embarassed

For a moment I was thinking it would be worth the two hour drive, although it might not be worth the chance of getting mugged.
I really don't go down there enough to know this, but would there be a place they can build one there where one WOULDN'T get mugged? Because I'd be more worried about the girls in frilly dresses if that were the case.

*shrugs* They could always build one in D.C..... or Baltimore. Anime hyper
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
There's a maid / cosplay cafe in California too, btw:
http://www.royal-t.org/

photos and reviews:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/royal-t-culver-city

it's been open for over 2 years and it still seem to be doing ok
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
This place has actually been around for a few years now, they just have new ownership who are actually doing some promotion. Haven't been to it since the change in owners, but it was rather unremarkable before. Bubble tea was the usual, the food was hit or miss. Seemed that the primary customer base was the local (mosty asian) college students, judging by the textbooks on most of the tables.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Past wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:

Ok thanks I was a bit curious, but I was more bothered by the negativity. To start any establishment takes hard work and dedication. I've been there and I've seen my efforts fail and it was heartbreaking. So I guess looking at it from the receiving end of someone who wishes failure upon someone else I hope you can understand my frustration.

I personally think maid cafes are a great idea in any big city. It promotes diversity from the regular stuff you'd find. Not siding with an idea doesn't cause me to wish it to fail. For example, I'm an atheist and if someone wanted to start up a Nun Cafe where you can sit down and pay to have cute nuns sit next to you read scriptures from the bible, I say cool go for it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:
Do the waitresses there dress up like giant robots?

[pic]
I guess that's cool.

Dress up as Gundam girls would be cooler -- figuratively and literally.

By the way, the shop title is really lame and so 80's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
zeonozero wrote:
Too bad they wont look as good as anime Razz unless they get some really hot girls.

If they're gonna do this and succeed, then they have to do this unabashedly. By that, I mean Hooters forget-womens-lib-pc unabashedly! Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
zeonozero wrote:
Too bad they wont look as good as anime Razz unless they get some really hot girls.
But i have never been to Canada, so i can't say if the girls over there are fine or anything.
But dang i like anime/manga continuing to be influential even in Canada.
I would pay double tip every time i went there Smile

I agree, my concern are the ladies. Not that we need Asian girls only or anything. But I'm afraid the girls they use might not be hot enough. So maybe if it's possible to maybe use hot models to maybe attract people who are not even anime fan.

It's nice to see a maid cafe opened up in Canada. I wonder how it would do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rain-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah!! I'm just an hour from Richmond!!

mdo7 wrote:
zeonozero wrote:
But i have never been to Canada, so i can't say if the girls over there are fine or anything.
But dang i like anime/manga continuing to be influential even in Canada.
I would pay double tip every time i went there Smile

I agree, my concern are the ladies. Not that we need Asian girls only or anything. But I'm afraid the girls they use might not be hot enough. So maybe if it's possible to maybe use hot models to maybe attract people who are not even anime fan.

It's nice to see a maid cafe opened up in Canada. I wonder how it would do.

Uhmm Metro Vancouver has no shortage of hot chicks, that I can assure you.
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
Past wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:

Ok thanks I was a bit curious, but I was more bothered by the negativity. To start any establishment takes hard work and dedication. I've been there and I've seen my efforts fail and it was heartbreaking. So I guess looking at it from the receiving end of someone who wishes failure upon someone else I hope you can understand my frustration.

I personally think maid cafes are a great idea in any big city. It promotes diversity from the regular stuff you'd find. Not siding with an idea doesn't cause me to wish it to fail. For example, I'm an atheist and if someone wanted to start up a Nun Cafe where you can sit down and pay to have cute nuns sit next to you read scriptures from the bible, I say cool go for it.

Hahaha, I love the Nun Cafe idea. I lmao hehehe.
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I can easily see this sticking around simply because of how multi-culture the area is. Richmond is the primary area for asians to live - its pretty hard to find a sign not in at least two languages. The Lower Mainland (approx. 6 cities including Richmond) also a large anime-fan base with the local convention Anime Evolution having over 5000 attendees.

There are so many unique asian shops in Richmond that a Maid Cafe doesn't stand out much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3