• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comics and Digital Piracy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
No, they are a small division of a larger company. That doesn't mean that they can just spend the parent company's money without earning it back.
Right, but by the same token, I'm doubtful that people would consider Del Rey to be "small," either. When you have backing from larger companies like that, and obviously show enough muscle to do something with it, then putting Yen Press together with Vertical seems to be casting a net that's too encompassing when defining "small."

Regardless, this is just an aside: the primary point is that any lost sales as a result of scans -- especially if it's from the licensed publisher's own release -- is a negative. I just find it amazing that people are so doubtful of this occurring.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
agila61 wrote:
No, they are a small division of a larger company. That doesn't mean that they can just spend the parent company's money without earning it back.
Right, but by the same token, I'm doubtful that people would consider Del Rey to be "small," either. When you have backing from larger companies like that, and obviously show enough muscle to do something with it, then putting Yen Press together with Vertical seems to be casting a net that's too encompassing when defining "small."

Regardless, this is just an aside: the primary point is that any lost sales as a result of scans -- especially if it's from the licensed publisher's own release -- is a negative. I just find it amazing that people are so doubtful of this occurring.

People love anime, and people want to think that watching anime fansubbed is helping the industry and not hurting it. I mean do you want to be told that what your doing is killing your hobby? I don't think so, the result is that these people delude themselves itno thinking that what their doing isn't hurting their hobby, or worse actually think their benifiting it.

Their's really nothing you can do but hope they see the truth.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
My two cents, fansubs/scanlations aren't helping nor hurting the industry in any major way. Any negative effects are mostly cancelled out by the negative effects (more exposure = more sales) and most of the problems with the industries are lieing in plain sight. It all boils down to the economy and people's spending money, as well as business models. If people had the choice between a new manga volume and food, they would choose food and then download the manga, but if they could afford both, more people would probably get both.

Yes, people aren't entitled to read whatever they want, but we're human, we're greedy, we feel the need to satiate our desires no matter the consequences. It's very possible that if the global economy becomes stable we'll see a rise in sales across the board, and hopefully the companies clinging to old business models will change to something more suitable for the future climate.

Now for the terms of quality, there are good groups and bad groups when it comes to fansubs and scanlations, so it's really a pick and choose thing. I've picked up enough to know when the fansubs are off a good bit (though obviously not enough to speak the language fluently) and while I can't read Japanese some of the bad scanlations are kinda glaringly obvious even without something to compare them to, so yea, it's kinda hit and miss but some groups are rather consistent with their quality.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The anime industry collapsed years before the recession happened. If I remember right the sales started to drop in 2003, more than 5 years before the recession.

I wish it was easy as change the business model, and wait it out, but frankly it isn't that easy.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
Yen & Vertical are both smaller companies so I can see selling 100 more copies of a title is probably more noticable than over at Viz.
Yen Press isn't exactly what I would call a small company.

Your link indicates they are actually part of the orbit imprint so they are a sub-imprint which sounds pretty damned small to me. CMX was a piece of DC but that in no way meant they could spend money willy nilly. At more than one panel they stated they were expected to stand on their own

Quote:

Del Rey is honking huge, they just haven't chosen to dive into manga very deeply. I see it more as DEL REY FANTASY with this little office over here for the manga.
I was at CCI when Yen launched, having absorbed all of Ice Kunion's titles & were it not for Ice Kunion they would have had far less to offer. Ice Kunion was also pretty small. For released content DMP seems larger than Yen but I'd accept they're pretty close in size/sales if someone told me they were.
Point being, I suspect Del Rey, like Viz, has higher expectations for sales. Yen, being a smaller imprint is satisfied releasing smaller titles. I enjoy all of their books & they are, for my money, printed to a superior quality than Viz, but I cannot imagine there are a whole lot of people out there reading Antique Gift Shop, Laon or some of the other titles I read from them. I accept Soul Eater & Black Butler are doing gangbusters for them but I don't see the same for Legend. I suspect most of the titles I'm following from Yen would have been dropped by TP because they are wonderful but not really flashy enough to draw in a large readership.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The anime industry collapsed years before the recession happened. If I remember right the sales started to drop in 2003, more than 5 years before the recession.

I wish it was easy as change the business model, and wait it out, but frankly it isn't that easy.

That's the figures that ICv2 give, for example from the 2007 State of the Anime Industry Conference, a peak pf $550m in 2003, down to under $350m in 2007, and and then searching "ICv2" on ANN for news there were further declines in 2008 before essentially flattening out in 2009. Even if much of the 2008 decline was due to the recession, the 36% decline from 2003 to 2007 cannot be blamed on the recession.

Bootlegs were only one of the two main factors: the other was decline in bricks and mortar outlets ... Musicland and Tower Records were 35% of the bricks and mortar sales, so when they collapsed, that was also a major shock.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Oooo, so they're ahead in Japan.
Read more manga.

Considering the circumstances, I seriously doubt you'd have a sales increase after you just borked 4+ years worth of untranslated material that people have had access to for free for sometime and you don't have translated yet. Unless there is some magical sales method the manga industry uses (Doubtful it's Institutional sales to Libraries and Schools).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:29 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Even if much of the 2008 decline was due to the recession, the 36% decline from 2003 to 2007 cannot be blamed on the recession.
Bootlegs were only one of the two main factors: the other was decline in bricks and mortar outlets ... Musicland and Tower Records were 35% of the bricks and mortar sales, so when they collapsed, that was also a major shock.

I don't believe this to be accurate based on my understanding of events leading to the bubble bursting.

These were the results, not the cause.

It is my understanding the anime market collapsed due to the industry's inability to support all those working within it. There were too many studios and distributors, each playing their own games, which customers finally tired of playing, leading to the collapse.

As with any bubble, the burst usually stems from investors not understanding the market they're supporting and this was certainly evident within the anime industry. Those in the middle usually saw the rewards while those at the "ends" found it difficult to capitalize.

Musicland and Tower Records didn't fail because of piracy, but a changing market. iTunes alone pulled a significant amount of buyers from B&M stores because of an MP3 player just as cell phones caused a loss for phone companies selling land lines.

It's just too easy to blame piracy when there are just too many factors that, when combined, are the true reasons for loss in revenues.

The anime and manga industries are still relying on a system that was born before the bubble collapsed. When the anime bubble collapsed, it was absolutely no surprise to see this have an affect on manga. Although separate, customers related them. How many people here collect both? Quite a few.

To say OneManga (et al) is the cause of the publishing industry's fall in revenues is like stating the hole in the Titanic was the cause of its sinking (while shying away from the fact the iceberg caused the hole).

It's simply not an accurate statement, despite having some truth to it.

This industry can not continue to run on the payment system it uses to support itself. Every other form of entertainment has proven this but it seems the anime and manga industry simply can't see the forest for the trees.

These issues are what leads to the growth of "bootleg" sites. It is absolutely inexcusable OneManga (et al) was allowed to grow as it did but it's quite clear how they did grow. While the industry worries about royalties and licensing contracts, these sites build audiences. Cause and effect and it's blatantly obvious.

So now we see the solution is separating out the content, throwing it around to obscure locations, charging real world physical prices for the copy, and people think this is the solution so artists can eat?

I'm not buying it. I've yet to see the mandatory licensing/royalty payment system work on the internet, and this is my profession. This solution is going to fail because the internet simply can't afford it. Then what? What will panels like this blame next?

I sure would like to know why people think it's okay for customers to continue buying only to see their money being spent on coalition formations or employees looking for Ghibli property infringements. I thought the goal here was to pay for the artist's talent.

It's not looking like this fight against piracy is entirely accurate. Was the $1 increase in manga to pay artists or allow a publishing employee fight in a losing war against piracy?

Anyone in the manga industry is more than welcome to address this question, if they are even allowed to.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote
Than what's your solution? Simply drop the DVD and Bluray format so your only dealing with streaming? You're not going to get the same rewards, but your also not taking the same risk.

I can't imagine the answer is that people got tired of the massive numbers of studios, I mean if that was true, why have we not seen a return of customers now that Funimation is the only studio with a large amount of anime being released?

The number of anime fans did not collapse, if you look at the numbers most of the people who buy anime are dub fans. Those two things present to me that fansubs are a massive problem.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Than what's your solution?

This may not be fair to you, but this question shows me you're not ready to listen. I say this because you, like the industry, keeps asking for a solution as though one really exists. Hint: a solution has never existed.

Quote:
Simply drop the DVD and Bluray format so your only dealing with streaming?

Allow me to propose a hypothetical situation so you can see the issue of this question:
You walk into my store, wanting to buy a teapot.

My store specializes in unique items which go with everyday items, such as teapots. I sell, among other things, teapot covers, teapot stands, teapot decals, and teapot accessories. Just not teapots themselves.

Who should I blame because you're not buying from me?

Quote:
I can't imagine the answer is that people got tired of the massive numbers of studios, I mean if that was true, why have we not seen a return of customers now that Funimation is the only studio with a large amount of anime being released?

With this, I quote a reply shared by many out there:

Keonyn wrote:
I can't argue with the guy and have noticed it myself in recent years. I used to buy up anime constantly, sometimes purchasing 3 or 4 titles at any one time as their volumes came out. My purchases over the past 2 years have dropped to next to nothing.

So who's really to blame for the loss in revenues? People like Keonyn? Fan sub viewers? Me? One of my 5 cats?

The industry is to accept the responsibility for lost revenues and no one else. If they can't produce products people want to buy, that's a very big problem that's not being addressed in panels like this one.

Quote:
Those two things present to me that fansubs are a massive problem.

I disagree. I believe the real problem is why people go to the fansub sites to begin with and no one's asking the question.

As a store owner in the example above, it's my job to give people a reason to buy, and it's never acceptable to blame customers, whether they're buying from me or not.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Than what's your solution?

This may not be fair to you, but this question shows me you're not ready to listen. I say this because you, like the industry, keeps asking for a solution as though one really exists. Hint: a solution has never existed.

Quote:
Simply drop the DVD and Bluray format so your only dealing with streaming?

Allow me to propose a hypothetical situation so you can see the issue of this question:
You walk into my store, wanting to buy a teapot.

My store specializes in unique items which go with everyday items, such as teapots. I sell, among other things, teapot covers, teapot stands, teapot decals, and teapot accessories. Just not teapots themselves.

Who should I blame because you're not buying from me?

Quote:

With this, I quote a reply shared by many out there:

Keonyn wrote:
I can't argue with the guy and have noticed it myself in recent years. I used to buy up anime constantly, sometimes purchasing 3 or 4 titles at any one time as their volumes came out. My purchases over the past 2 years have dropped to next to nothing.

So who's really to blame for the loss in revenues? People like Keonyn? Fan sub viewers? Me? One of my 5 cats?

The industry is to accept the responsibility for lost revenues and no one else. If they can't produce products people want to buy, that's a very big problem that's not being addressed in panels like this one.

Quote:
Those two things present to me that fansubs are a massive problem.

I disagree. I believe the real problem is why people go to the fansub sites to begin with and no one's asking the question.

As a store owner in the example above, it's my job to give people a reason to buy, and it's never acceptable to blame customers, whether they're buying from me or not.

Why do people use fansubs? Because their free, that's the only reason people watch fansubs, because they offer a free enjoyable entertainment, and if you can delude yourself into thinking your not killing anime all the better.

you criticize them for their actions and then admit that their is no solution. You can't win when no one wants to pay.

You also did not answer the simple fact that if no wants what the Japanese are offering how come conventions's attendances have not collapsed? How come fansubbers are not dying out? Theirs obvious people who like what they see.

The companies are not blaming the customers, if you don't buy something than your not a customer.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

Oooo, so they're ahead in Japan.
Read more manga.

Considering the circumstances, I seriously doubt you'd have a sales increase after you just borked 4+ years worth of untranslated material that people have had access to for free for sometime and you don't have translated yet. Unless there is some magical sales method the manga industry uses (Doubtful it's Institutional sales to Libraries and Schools).

This is the rain on the parade of the fansubs.
The companies have walked on tiptoe not wanting to offend perceived customers, but they seem to have finally decided a majority of the diehard fansub community that defend their fansubs are not the ones buying all that much manga. The ones that are buying will likely continue buying whether there are fansubs or not.

Reality is the fansubs NEVER had a RIGHT to be up unless the creator/publisher put them up so all the fans who are years ahead of the rest of us are ahead by a fluke.
Times change.
Trust me, they do.
When I was a kid, gas was less than a quarter, the bank my parents frequented always gave out candy to the kids, the doctor gave out lollipops to kids. Not all that long ago there were all sorts of freebies to be had such as a free meal at Denny's. You could take stuff back to stores without receipts often as long as a year out.
If fansubs go away, oh well.

And you will note my meaning that you tried to quote was there is so very much else out there if all these people reading free fansubs had been buying licensed stuff, they'd have just as much to read, only the capitalism that is the basis of our society is fully supported. Who gives a rat's rear how far they are on Bleach in Japan? I'm following any Clamp title I don't already own, whatever yaoi is getting released, Fairy Tail, Zetsubo-Sensei, FMA, Gintama, Bobobo, Jack Frost, 1001 Nights, Time & Again, Bride of the Water God, Laon, Legend, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery, Vassilord, lots of TP I hope will continue but haven't seen the last volume in so long I'm assuming they're all cancelled like Tactics, King of Hell, etc., MomoTama, Silver Diamond, Blackbird, D-GreyMan, Yashakiden, Your & My Secret, Bleach, Gestalt, Junjyo Romantica, Kyo Kara Maoh, Momogumi Plus Senki, Mad Love Chase, NG Life, Pet Shop of Horrors, Nabari no Ou, Black Butler, Hoshin Engi, Shaman King, Flame of Recca, plus I have a bunch of Vol 1's on order such as Natsume's Book of Friends, House of 5 Leaves, Hetalia, Code Breaker, & Demon Sacred.
Between work, life & everything, I really have more than enough manga on my slate to read which is why I cannot have much sympathy for people crying about losing their free manga. So you cannot get This Hot Title in Japan Volume 1 because it isn't licensed-THERE ARE SCADS OF LICENSED TITLES YOU COULD BE READING! You don't have to be disrespecting the rights of the artist to get your fix.
This brings us back to the publishers realizing a large number of the fansub users are unable or unwilling financially to purchase much of what they read for free. There are things on tv we all watch on any given day, but that we do not feel any inclination to buy on dvd. Most scans seem to fall into that territory. The people will read them for free, but will not buy them which suggests these stories have no value to the readers.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
That last point really resonates with me, CCSYueh; if something is of value to you, then you will be happy to pay for it because:
* You recognise it has value (as entertainment, art, whatever).
* You wish to reward the talented individuals involved.
* It may encourage the creation of similar products. Money talks.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Why do people use fansubs?

That's your answer to the question, Charred Knight, and it's also inaccurate.

By the way, love the accusation you threw in there. Did that make you feel good?

Quote:
you criticize them for their actions and then admit that their is no solution. You can't win when no one wants to pay.

Since you won't read: there is no one solution. There must be many. Some will work. Some will not. Some will die in time. New ones must always be made. Relying only on plastic and paper sales is fruitless in a digital environment.

Quote:
You also did not answer the simple fact that if no wants what the Japanese are offering how come conventions's attendances have not collapsed?

Now you're just being ridiculous. Stay on topic. Anime conventions have absolutely nothing to do with this discussion of DVD and manga sales. When someone says "OMG! AX lost attendance because OneConvention.com aggregated away ticket sales! Teh Anime Convention is DYING!!1!!", then we'll talk about it.

Quote:
How come fansubbers are not dying out? Theirs obvious people who like what they see.

No question there's a market to those wanting to see fan subs. Hell, even the staff of this website use them. Does that make them the only fault of dying sales? No, it doesn't.

All you're doing is what everyone else is doing: placing blame to justify your position.

Here's the flip side: how many of those reviews written in the Summer Preview guide will lead to a purchase of those series when they're licensed?

In addition, you completely ignore the real and legal alternatives which also lead to a loss in sales.

Why is it you've never once mentioned Crunchyroll, FUNimation, TAN, or Hulu when talking about free viewing?

Quote:
The companies are not blaming the customers, if you don't buy something than your not a customer.

FUNimation guest on ANNCast wrote:
Heiskell cited low sales [of Big Windup], saying, "there was not enough of an audience there who bought the series."

That certainly sounds to be blaming the customer to me. Who else would this "audience" be but customers?

Do note I don't believe FUNimation can take the blame here. For that, I blame the freakin' licensing system, which threw upon customers an $80 price tag for a two part collection.

I haven't bought an $80 anime series... ever! I own over 150 and the highest I paid was $45 for Daphne in the Brilliant Blue (sucker punched).

Now I'm to blame for not allowing a second season of Big Windup. Don't I feel freakin' special, especially when I read pleas from fans asking me to buy it so it can stay alive.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Now you're just being ridiculous. Stay on topic. Anime conventions have absolutely nothing to do with this discussion of DVD and manga sales. When someone says "OMG! AX lost attendance because OneConvention.com aggregated away ticket sales! Teh Anime Convention is DYING!!1!!", then we'll talk about it.

The people who buy anime are, presumably, fans. The people who go to conventions are also fans. If anime sales dry up but conventions do not, then we can infer that falling anime sales are not due to a decline in the population of fans.

Quote:
That certainly sounds to be blaming the customer to me. Who else would this "audience" be but customers?

If they don't buy anything, they're not customers. Audience and customer are not the same thing. There weren't enough customers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7