• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Eva 2.0, Hetalia Film, Summer Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akatsukinotobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Definitely getting Eva 2.22 and Summer Wars. Big fan of those movies ;D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
BeanBandit wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I've come to realize how shoddy Eva and most other ADV dubs were. Try listening to the English track of Blue Seed and you'll hear what I mean. It's utterly painful.

The only ADV dubs that hold up are the comedy dubs they did much later. And maybe Gunsmith Cats.

I will agree with you there, Tiffany Grants (and most ADV dubs by enlarge) other voice roles are pretty painful to watch. Also when you mean ADV comedy dubs I would explicitly mention Golden Boy as that was one of the few dubs back in the day that actually improved upon the original material.

I think it's a bit unfair to judge all ADV dubs by dubs they did in the mid to late 90's. They may not be great by today's standards, but they hold up much better than many other dubs being done back then.

Well yeah but it wasn't exactly hard to improve on garbage. Making a better dub then some of those early AnimEgo releases as let's say Bubblegum Crisis wasn't exactly rocket science.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
Yes, finally! xD

I'll withhold the swearing in excitement, since many others have done so already, but **** YES!!!

Eva 1.11 on Blu-Ray was gorgeous, so I cannot wait to add 2.22 to my collection as well.
And everything I've heard about Summer Wars has pointed to it being an amazing movie, so I'll be picking that up as well. Good show, Funimation, good show!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
I'll be picking up Summer Wars for sure. Them getting Evangelion 2.0 is also great news although I probably won't buy any of them until all 4 of the films are picked up. Ideally I'm hoping for a boxset.

Kruszer man, that's at least 5 years from now! Laughing

And I'm a patient man. Plus Evangelion has let me down before so some precautions are in order this time. Smile

Thus far it's been a much more streamlined and coherent work though, to the point where I already prefer it over the original. I'll see where the story goes in the last two films though.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
Wow Summer Wars! Woooo! I downloaded a fansub of Summer Wars a LONG time ago, but never watched it. Glad I waited. After deleting it off my HDD definitely purchasing it Day 1!

Only disappointed that there's STILL no word on the One Piece movies Sad Funny thing is, a while back I kinda sorta wished Funi would license Tokikake so that they could find a way to cross-promote it with OP Movie 6, both being directed by Hosoda. Yeah I know, I'm really grasping at straws here.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:31 am Reply with quote
2.22: Oh yes. Yet another BD purchase for me.

Summer Wars: Glad I saw this on a flight; not sure if it's worth purchasing, even though it will look great on BD.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:

Only disappointed that there's STILL no word on the One Piece movies Sad Funny thing is, a while back I kinda sorta wished Funi would license Tokikake so that they could find a way to cross-promote it with OP Movie 6, both being directed by Hosoda. Yeah I know, I'm really grasping at straws here.

I too would love to see the other One Piece movies being released in America. Including Movie 6 which was one of my favorite one piece films. Until then I'll be buying the rest of Season 3 DVDs that are coming this year. And hopefully Season 4 won't be much of a wait.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:53 am Reply with quote
The one time, THE ONE TIME I don't get to Ota this year and it seems to be , if this announcement and rumor pans out, I should have went...

Eva 2.0 seems pretty interesting, and Summer Wars hype is definately interesting. Can't wait to hear more from Ota!
fistofthemfk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
This is the best news to happen to the U.S. anime industry in quite some time. I hope Eva 2.22 and Summer Wars show up in U.S. theaters.
silencer226

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
After just buying 1.11 2 weeks ago (and enjoying it a lot) I am pleased that Funimation has also gotten 2.0. I've never heard of Summer Wars but if it's as good as everyone is saying it is I will go check it out in the theatres.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
This is excellent news. Considering that Summer Wars will be screened again (encore) at the IFC center as part of the NYICFF for 2 days.

I saw it debut on opening week some months ago. So I've been anticipating it's license. I want to share this with mother and niece. As they aren't accustomed to subtitles. So hopefully this will get a good dub that I'll be hearing for the first time. So thank you Funimation.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to summer wars, since I've been waiting to see that for a while.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Eva 2.22 and Summer wars! since its Funi, I assume they will be dubbed. So Funimation better get Tiffiny Grant as Asuka if not, they better start running! I actually wanted Summer wars to be dubbed by Bang Zoom Entertainment since they did The Girl who leapt through time, but hey, its getting dubbed so that's a plus. these are movies I want to just sit and watch dubbed, no reading, sorry if that's ta-bu, but I want to look at the animation, not the graffiti at the bottom so sue me.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
My guess is that well see the DVD/Blu-ray for Summer Wars and Eva 2.22 sometime next summer. And we can maybe expect the theatrical releases in late winter/ early spring.

No. Last time they ran the theatrical limited run first as an expensive publicity stunt (its NTV's fault not FUNimation's), THEN released it on home video.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:
YES If Eva and Summer Wars comes to my theatre (and normally it does) I will TOTALLY go see it I've been dying to see both films and was contemplating buying the Manga UK dvds if I didn't hear anything from North American licensors. YAY this totally made my day!

Manga UK sub-licenses Rebuild of Eva from FUNimation. Manga UK is in no position to get Rebuild of Eva movies independently of FUNimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9