• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: DiCaprio, Jolie & Pitt's Family Are Anime Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
You know, I could TOTALLY see Inception being developed into an anime.

There's such a rich well of stories there. Plus, even though the movie had great CG and special effects, animation would completely expand the dreamscapes in ways that live action CG couldn't match.

Yeah, it has the potential to crash and burn, but if it had a team of great writers, it could be great.

as long as it didn't end up like the dreadful Animatrix, I'd be happy. But you know it would.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
daedelus wrote:
You know, I could TOTALLY see Inception being developed into an anime.

There's such a rich well of stories there. Plus, even though the movie had great CG and special effects, animation would completely expand the dreamscapes in ways that live action CG couldn't match.

Yeah, it has the potential to crash and burn, but if it had a team of great writers, it could be great.

as long as it didn't end up like the dreadful Animatrix, I'd be happy. But you know it would.

AniMatrix...dreadful!?!? Them's fighting words there! Sure, not ALL the sequences were up to snuff, but some were really great!

As for DiCaprio and his involvement with anime, well I'm not holding my breath, but somehow I feel the new Akira and Ninja Scroll live action movies will at least be better than the recent adaptations of Dragonball (Z) and Speed Racer. Who knows, the wuss from Titanic just might succeed where the awesome architects of The Matrix, the Wachowski brothers, failed!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki:
Quote:
Separate works, separate titles, separate canons.

If you believe that, then you'll really love Black Swan. Rolling Eyes

mdo: Jackson Rathbone is famous? Laughing Too bad Megan Fox likes it, though, as her tastes in general make the rest of us look bad.

As for Ghibli films being widely known, that's the case in Japan. Over here, they're the equivalent of Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Saturn: Replace Animatrix with HALO Legends, and I'll agree with you.

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Who knows, the wuss from Titanic just might succeed where the awesome architects of The Matrix, the Wachowski brothers, failed!

Poor Leonardo DiCaprio. Titanic didn't really help his image at all. People will always think of him as that wussy guy from Titanic that teenager girls fawned over, and not as the serious actor that he has now become.
I like him as an actor. However it weirded me out to see him in a tire ad in a Japanese homemaker magazine. I'm flipping through the pages looking at the recipes, and then all of a sudden, there's Leonardo DiCaprio with some tires.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I have to kind of side with the cynics here. Everyone and their dog can name a Ghibli film. Spirited Away especially having as much notoriety as it is. Even saw the film cited in my Textbook last fall semester for a film class.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Not that I want to piss in anyone's cheerio's but the majority of those celebrity's anime that they watch are so mainstream that its basically worldwide television at this point, don't get me wrong I've seen them too, but I also saw them as a kid before I knew what anime was, and I wouldn't consider myself an anime fan at that point, the only ones I will say that I will give the "fan" title to are Zac Efron (I almost wanna call Bullshit on that, Outlaw Star AND Slayers from him?!?), Jason David Frank, Gackt Camui, Masi oka and Andrew WK (Because his first 2 anime weren't a ghibli film or akira)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I like how everyone reacts to this as though these celebrities said those things because they're looking for street cred with internet anime nerds.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I like how everyone reacts to this as though these celebrities said those things because they're looking for street cred with internet anime nerds.

Never underestimate what celebrities will do to remain popular.

Picture it now: Jolie. 2016. What Hilary Couldn't Do.©
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac: Well, Leo's obviously trying to appeal to Japanese internet anime nerds, anyway. Wink
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

The Interest article even noted that Jolie was in Japan promoting Salt. So obviously it was not done for publicity to gain cred with internet anime nerds. I can't imagine any ulterior reason for such comments to be made.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Well, we are pretty cool. It's pretty obvious that they desperately want to hang out and be friends with us.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Yes, because if she does enjoy Ghibli films and is asked in Japan about them then she should lie right? I mean, it's not at all possible that she is familiar with them after being married to an actor who worked on "Princess Mononoke" right? It's amazing how eager anime fans can be to persecute others based on only the most innocent and simple knowledge.

Anyways, all Jolie said is she went shopping while in Japan with her kids for Miyazaki film related toys. Seriously, I think people think too highly of themselves if they really believe this is some actresses effort to get in good with them.

As for Leo, let's not forget the guy has a history of being an anime fan, and was pretty much the one pushing to adapt "Akira". It's pretty sad when an actor can't even say they like something anymore and talked about anime in interviews as far back as his time on "Titanic" but yet they still get blasted and accused the moment they bring it up. Again, some of you need to get over yourselves, sometimes an actor just likes what you like, deal with it.

Last edited by Keonyn on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Who knows, the wuss from Titanic just might succeed where the awesome architects of The Matrix, the Wachowski brothers, failed!

...did you just say Speed Racer, one of the most-nay, the most awesome movie ever invented, and the greatest western adaptation of an anime ever, was bad?

Come on, man! That was one of the best/aswesome movies I had ever seen! I'm flat out shocked to see so many people here dislike this masterpiece. Seriously, it was one of the best movies ever.

And I'm being completely serious about this.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn: For a sec, I thought you meant Pitt and Princess Mononoke. Forgot about Thornton. Laughing

Quote:
As for Leo, let's not forget the guy has a history of being an anime fan, and was pretty much the one pushing to adapt "Akira".

A Hollywood Akira's been in development long before Leo came along.

Quote:
It's pretty sad when an actor can't even say they like something anymore and talked about anime in interviews as far back as his time on "Titanic".

I don't recall any anime mentions then, actually. In fact, in those days, you would've been considered a loser if you liked anime and not his stuff. And not those "ironic" Something Awful diatribe depictions of anime fans as losers, but one step on the ladder below the Goths and people into rap. In fact, a lot of old-timer fanboys won't admit it now, but they hated what Leo represented back then, which is bad adolescent angst posturing which was considered "acting", and which has currently been superseded by that emo/vampire/furry hybrid crap from Twilight. And an even smaller amount of those fanboys will admit the same disgust with Shinji from Eva. Hell, I didn't take the guy seriously until The Aviator. Though now that they're not shoving him down my throat like those Friends f**ks and Paris Hilton, I can deal with him.

But him liking anime isn't what bugs me. It's the anime he didn't note liking while trying to pass off his own film as something the Japanese have never seen before which bugged me. However, I can't go any further on this, so I'll just let anyone reading this guess what I'm implying and then try to make me look bad for suggesting that he owes his possible Best Actor Oscar to more than just Nolan. Rolling Eyes
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:

...did you just say Speed Racer, one of the most-nay, the most awesome movie ever invented, and the greatest western adaptation of an anime ever, was bad?

Come on, man! That was one of the best/aswesome movies I had ever seen! I'm flat out shocked to see so many people here dislike this masterpiece. Seriously, it was one of the best movies ever.

And I'm being completely serious about this.

I haven't seen it, but from what I've heard from people who have, I'm under the impression that it was supposed to be over-the-top and insane. When I think about it, I don't think there is a way to make a Speed Racer live-action adaptation that isn't. From what I can tell, fans just loved that it captured the essence of the original. A strange, colorful ride that's lulzworthy when you sit back and think about what you're watching Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5