• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation's K-ON Team Airs Tamako Market Anime's 3rd Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I think some people are underestimating Japanese otaku tastes. They seem to want to buy the same formulaic show every season, as long as it panders to their tastes. And if Tamako Market is K-On 2.0, they will embrace and buy it.

While that may be partially true, most low budget shows that "pander" to otaku sell poorly. However, based on the ANN industry article, it appears most do, eventually, break even (from a variety of sources of income). Note that KyoAni productions are often high budget and it's really not fair to compare their production to say NakaImo.

On the other hand, if you want a hit, generally speaking, there has to be something more there that will attract a broader market. Otherwise, you're looking at 2000 or less copies. K-On! had that extra something-ness that brought in fans beyond the base and made it super popular.

Or to put it another way, you can't just throw in a bunch of tropes and standard events and expect 10k sales. Execution counts.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I think some people are underestimating Japanese otaku tastes. They seem to want to buy the same formulaic show every season, as long as it panders to their tastes. And if Tamako Market is K-On 2.0, they will embrace and buy it.

I am assuming RyanSaotome is saying that Nichijou bombed because it did not sell many copies.

Yep, thats what I was saying. Its main issues from what I remember on 2ch is that it had no "loveable characters" that people could emotionally attach themselves to like other KyoAni anime, and also the artstyle didn't lend itself well to cute girls. So basically, it was a KyoAni anime that had lost the support of the "Waifu" fanbase, who are the main people who buy their anime... it was a doomed anime from the start. They seem to have learned their lesson since then, and focus more on making female characters their audience wants in an artstyle that they like, as they did in Hyouka, Chuunibyou and now Tamako Market.

They bitched that it had "no loveable characters"? ITS A DAMN COMEDY. Comedies are ALWAYS staffed by flawed characters because it's more humorous.

I swear, Japanese Otaku [insult removed].

Also Nichijou's artstyle is cute AND really unique.

[Mod Edit: Let's not go about generalizing and insulting an entire group. Thanks. - Keonyn]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Or to put it another way, you can't just throw in a bunch of tropes and standard events and expect 10k sales. Execution counts.

I do not know about that. Just look at Sword Art Online. It does not seem that well executed to me, and it is selling a lot (30k per volume) so far.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Draneor wrote:

I do not know about that. Just look at Sword Art Online. It does not seem that well executed to me, and it is selling a lot (30k per volume) so far.

The good art/animation and established fanbase are helping that one tremendously.

Chagen46 wrote:
They bitched that it had "no loveable characters"? ITS A DAMN COMEDY. Comedies are ALWAYS staffed by flawed characters because it's more humorous.

I swear, Japanese Otaku are [insult removed].

Also Nichijou's artstyle is cute AND really unique.

As I said before, the discs were priced at like what, ¥10,000? That makes them pretty undesirable if the anime itself is mostly just gag comedy, puns, and visual humor. Good series, but probably not the type people will go out of their way to own, much less when it's needlessly expensive. It's the "Well, it was good, but not one hundred dollars good". Even in Japan, they do have a ceiling for prices. As for not being able to have lovable characters in gag comedy, I'll refer to Joshiraku, which did just that, 5 times. Dat Gan, dat Marii, dat Kukuru, dat Luchadora.

Sometimes, they also get it very right, like with Girls und Panzer. If a show is just pandering with few other positives, including art/animation, design, voice work, the chances of it becoming a hit aren't great. There's a wide gulf between something fun and engaging like Highschool DxD and something dull like Dakara Boku H, even if they appear exactly the same on the surface. As for why Tasogara Amnesia and others don't hit it big, there are only so many with money and often too many shows competing.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Draneor wrote:

And tons of other shows that basically fit the same description don't do nearly as well.

Why? Who knows? It just happens. Why did Infinite Stratos sell so well, when half a dozen roughly equivalent shows failed?

You are trying to construct some grand theory correlating "Otaku taste" (which is a silly thing to talk about anyway) and sales, when its been repeatedly demonstrated that there is a huge amount of unpredictability involved.

And yes, the Nichijou discs were stupidly expensive even by JP release standards, its quite possible that with a 9 disc release instead of a 12 disc one it would have done much better.
scineram

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Now that is some veteran cast to round out the newbies. With some of my favorites among them. Every role for Fujiwara and Yukino is a plus.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

So basically, it was a KyoAni anime that had lost the support of the "Waifu" fanbase, who are the main people who buy their anime... it was a doomed anime from the start. They seem to have learned their lesson since then, and focus more on making female characters their audience wants in an artstyle that they like, as they did in Hyouka, Chuunibyou and now Tamako Market.

KyoAni is the 90's Disney with a formula! Smile
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As I said before, the discs were priced at like what, ¥10,000? That makes them pretty undesirable if the anime itself is mostly just gag comedy, puns, and visual humor. Good series, but probably not the type people will go out of their way to own, much less when it's needlessly expensive. It's the "Well, it was good, but not one hundred dollars good". Even in Japan, they do have a ceiling for prices. As for not being able to have lovable characters in gag comedy, I'll refer to Joshiraku, which did just that, 5 times. Dat Gan, dat Marii, dat Kukuru, dat Luchadora.

It's been commonly said that Nichijou was priced expensively per volume, which is incorrect. Here's the prices from the official site:
LE BD: 7,980円
RE BD: 6,930円
LE DVD:6,930円
RE DVD:5,880円

Compare that to the standard 7,140円 or 7,350円, and it's not 1,000円 more (unlike some earlier Kadokawa titles priced at 9,240円 for the LE BD like Gosick). The issue with Nichijou is that it was 26 episodes and Kadokawa decided to put 2 episodes on a disc instead of the industry standard 3 episodes per disc for 2-cour shows. This meant you had to pay 7,980円 13 times to buy the show (at MRSP, but we assume most will buy from somewhere like Amazon at a discount). This meant the show cost 103,740円 or 3,990円 per episode.

In comparison, Hanasaka Iroha, which aired the next day every week for 26 weeks, had 8 volumes of 8,190円 and one volume of 6,615円 (8x3=24+2=26). It sold much better due to having the standard 3 episodes per volume trait. It cost 72,135円 to buy in total or 2,774円 per episode, over 1,000円 less than Nichijou.

So when we say that Nichijou was expensive to buy, we mean the entire set, not the per volume costs that gets parroted again and again.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Nichijou standard KyoAni price? I don't buy it hurting KyoAni more than any of their other shows. They always sell their stuff at a premium.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Wasn't Nichijou standard KyoAni price? I don't buy it hurting KyoAni more than any of their other shows. They always sell their stuff at a premium.

There isn't a "standard KyoAni price" because KyoAni is an animation studio, not a publisher.

The price of the discs is set by the distributor, in concert with the rest of the production committee.
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

While I'm not particularly interested in defending SAO (I've decided it's not worth the mental energy to argue over anime I just kind of like), for an anime in its genre, it does have generally good animation, music, and interesting backgrounds. Contrast that with Campione! from the same season, for example. Opinions on SAO are fairly polarizing (a lot of people love or detest it). For something like Campione, you're not gonna find too many people getting worked up about it either way. Thus, let me qualify "execution matters" with "there is significant disagreement over what aspects of execution matter most."

This uncertainty is why Lucky Star (excluding the Yamakan episodes) to be popular in a way Nichijou was not. It's also why we can't know if Tamako Market will be the next K-On! or the next Munto.

Last edited by Draneor on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

This uncertainty is why Lucky Star (excluding the Yamakan episodes) to be popular in a way Nichijou was not. It's also why we can't know if Tamako Market will be the next K-On! or the next Munto.

For me, its because I actually cared about the characters in Lucky Star. They weren't just 1 gimmick characters that tired their gimmick by episode 4 like Nichijou was. The characters actually had personalities and goals and such. Plus they were also a lot cuter than Nichijou, which had a terrible artstyle that wasn't very attractive as well.

For a character driven anime, giving the viewer reasons to like the characters is the most important part of a show. Konata and Kagami are instantly recognizable characters by nearly anyone in the fandom, yet I can't even remember a single characters name in Nichijou because they were all forgettable. Nichijou failed there while Lucky Star didn't, so to me thats why Nichijou was only an average show at best while Lucky Star was great.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Plus they were also a lot cuter than Nichijou, which had a terrible artstyle that wasn't very attractive as well.

Did we watch the same show? Because Nichijou's cartoonish artstyle was one of the best things about it.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
KyoAni is an animation studio who also dabbles in selling merchandise and light novels. The shows they are a part of are produced by a production committee, which include a video (Kadokawa/Pony Canyon) and music distributor (Lantis, Pony Canyon, Key). These companies are the ones who decide how much the home video releases will cost, not KyoAni. KyoAni contributes a certain amount of money to the project, but is also given an amount to animate and as part of royalties that go to them as part of the committee.

Let's go step by step for initial LE releases (no BD-Boxes):
Full Metal Panic!? Fumoffu: Disc manufacture: Happinet Pictures; Price: 8,925x6 (Each volume contained a figure)
Munto (OVA): Disc manufacture: Happinet Pictures; Price: 3,990x1
Munto (OVA2): Disc manufacture: Happinet Pictures; Price: 5040x1
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid: Disc manufacture: Happinet Pictures; Price: 6,090x1, 8,190x6, 6,930x1 (v1 had 1 ep, 2-7 had 2, 1 OVA)
AIR: Disc manufacture: Pony Canyon; 5,980x8, (13 episodes +2 OVA)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006): Disc manufacture: Kadokawa; Price: 4,830x2, 6,930x6
Kanon: Disc manufacture: Pony Canyon; Price: 6,300x8
Lucky Star: Disc manufacture: Kadokawa; Price: 6930x12, 6,090x1 (24 episodes +1 OVA)
Clannad: Disc manufacture: Pony Canyon; Price: 7,980x8
Clannad After Story: Disc manufacture: Pony Canyon; Price: 7,980x8
Munto (TV series): Disc manufacture: Kyoto Animation; Price: 3,990x1, 5,880x4 (carried by Kadokawa)
Munto (movie): Disc manufacture: Kyoto Animation; Price: 7,665x1 (carried by Kadokawa)
The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya and Nyoron Churuya-san: Disc manufacture: Kadokawa; Price: 5,040x3
K-On!: Disc manufacture: Pony Canyon; Price: 7,980x7
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2009 episodes): Disc manufacture: Kadokawa; Price: 4,830x2, 6,930x6
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: Disc manufacture: Kadokawa; Price: 9,000x1
K-On!!: Disc manufacture: Pony Canyon; Price: 8,400x9
Nichjou: Disc manufacture: Kadokawa; Price: 7,980x13
K-On!:The Movie!: Disc manufacture: Pony Canyon; Price: 9,240x1
Hyouka: Disc manufacture: Kadokawa; Price: 7,350x11
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!: Disc manufacture: Pony Canyon; Price: 6,930x7 (includes Lite episodes)

So we've gone from 8,925x6 (total 53,500 yen) on DVD for FMP:f to 6930x7 (total 48,510 yen) on BD for Chuunibyou. Kadokawa takes the top total amounts with 103,740 (Nichijou), 89,250 (Lucky Star), and 80,850 (Hyouka) with the top Pony Canyon show at 75,600 for K-On!!'s 9 volumes. As you can see, there's no real "KyoAni standard" as the different distributors have different price schemes. The only product they coordinated prices on was Munto's TV and movie versions. Everything else is due to Happinet, Kadokawa, or Pony Canyon.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Not to throw the topic into a tangent, but there's something that has been bothering me for awhile... So, I'm a big a fan of legal streaming as much as the next international otaku, but I don't understand not wanting to turn to fansubs if there are no legal streams.

Assuming that the intention of supporting legal streams is to support the animation company, if there are no legal streams, not watching a show and watching the fansubs would be exactly the same. You are still free to purchase the DVDs/BDs later on to give the show your support if you like it.

I mean, is it a moral/principle thing? Are fansubs too much hassle to deal with for a show that is not high on the watch-list? Or is it just a simple 'abide by the law' thing? I really want to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3