• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Streaming Preview: High School of the Dead full episode 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Ugg...

I'm sure snl67 has no problem with the fanservice, boobs and panty shot, it's just the sound effects. Which I agree. I've seen the first 3 or 4 episodes and the sound effects that accompanied Shizuka threw me off. It was just odd and I didn't like it. I plan on watching more though.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
him61 wrote:
snl67 wrote:
Come on! It's a horror show - the gore and violence is to be expected, the idiotic sound effects during fanservice scenes are not.

If you ever looked at the source material, you'd realize that it's just as much of a fanservice piece as it is horror. The mangaka normally does hentai! How could you NOT expect that type of stuff?

High School of the Dead (Manga) has not been released here, and I don't do scanlations. All I am saying is I have no problem with horror or fanservice - I just think the show is weaker for the way they are presenting it. If you listen to the exposition by the lead character, you would think the show is trying to be serious, but the ludicrous sound effects weaken the overall impact of the serious parts of the show.

If this is what the mangaka intended, then bully for making it so true to the source. I just personally find the added sound effects totally lame.
nater801

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
well guys, i gotta say this much, after reading all your replies on the subject.

My first impression of an anime is based on the visual clarity and detail animation. Basically liking the quality of the picture of HOTD over like the really old Gundam stuff or DragonBall z. So that captured my attention.

But since i never do horror and gore and stuff like that, this show freaked me out in the first episode. Though I hung in there and watched the next couple and I was hooked for the following reasons.

1. Pretty engaging plot
2. Its pretty intelligent and serious where it needs to be - Thank god for them not putting in a complete Idiot (exception of the school nurse) who takes up a lot of time talking about stupid stuff and getting the whole gang in trouble - because thats not comedy, its just annoying
3. Comedic release and fanservice was something that didn't make the anime incredibly serious or scary or horrific.
4. The girls look great
5. The individual talents of the group are something that are pretty well thought out and I would like to see what they can accomplish as a whole group

There are other reasons why I look forward to the rest of this anime but anyway, I would love to see this anime beyond the predicted 13 episode series that I think they have listed in ANN. They can do so much more with the plot and allow it to develop. [/b]
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
@nater: The current belief of myself and some others amidst the internet (At least, the hopefuls of this series) are expecting that they'll either make it to the mansion or leave the mansion by the end of the 13 episodes.

The show is almost structured as a chapter per episode, so if they play their cards right and keep the pacing as such, we can see at minimum 2 seasons guaranteed. If they take a year and a half break between each season and the creators (As someone noted, one is a hentai manga-ka and the other is his brother) keep going and actually finish this, I'd predict easily 3 or 4 seasons total.

The way it's going though, the current or the next story arc could potentially be the last for HSotD. Granted the newest chapter is spoiler[filler-ish and mostly focusing on transition, it's clearly setting up for the next part of the story, whether it's going to find Takashi's mother or Rei's father, I forget..]. But I think it's the former.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Is this the same more-censored version that TAN uses? AT-X shows much more skin, as shown in episodes 4 and 6.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:
Although I also don't understand the view that fanservice is there to whip it out and get off to.

I also do not understand that. From my understanding, it's just a little something extra added into spice up a show, not the main ingredient.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
kakitamike wrote:
Although I also don't understand the view that fanservice is there to whip it out and get off to.

I also do not understand that. From my understanding, it's just a little something extra added into spice up a show, not the main ingredient.

It's (sexual fanservice) the second ingredient in this show behind zombie and tied with plot closely followed by weapons. You'd have to see the latest episode to understand the grouching about sexual fanservice. spoiler[hadaka apron]

Weapons are also another form of fanservice and this title doesn't skimp on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2