• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Earthsea Opens with US$20,100 in 5 Theaters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
That isn't a good opening weekend number.

Let's compare it to a normal limited-release indie like The Kids Are All Right, which in its very first opening weekend was on a total of 7 screens.

First weekend gross: $491,000. That's a very solid number and the film went on to a nice wide release and a month later is up to about $14 million at the box office.

I would be surprised if Disney opened Earthsea on more than 500 screens nationwide after this. Doesn't help that the critics are lukewarm-to-negative on it, and a release like this needs all the help it can get from the film critic community.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Let's compare it to a normal limited-release indie like The Kids Are All Right, which in its very first opening weekend was on a total of 7 screens.

First Weekend Gross: $491,000.
Well, damn.

Eh, it's to be expected that something like that would outdo Earthsea by a pretty long shot. From what I've heard, that's actually a good movie, as opposed to what's become the general opinion on Earthsea. And the very fact that Earthsea's an anime lessens it's chance of having a good turnout, seeing as anime is still niche over here. But just for the record, does anybody know what kind of competition The Kids had on it's opening?

But hell, for what it's worth, if Earthsea does end up getting another--relatively wider--release in theatres, I'll go see it if I have the chance.

And I'm suprised that you don't have much to say about the less-than-stellar turnout of your beloved Scott, which I still have to go see. Laughing
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
But let's be honest, this isn't a movie that should be making $491,000. The movie is boring as all hell and should be happy with making that amount.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't recall any Akira references in SP.

Todd/Boyfriend #3/The Vegan punched a hole into the moon twice. This was mentioned in the film but was put more into detail in the comic.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac: Yeah, but 'Kids was more high-profile.

Sepherd: I thought that was a DB reference.

Sanosuke: Apparently Despicable Me, Predators, Emo Vampires 2, and Shyamalan's Last Bender.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I think some people are missing a key factor here. Even amongst the anime crowd this film is not very well regarded. Just because it's Ghibli doesn't guarantee it should do well, particularly when the film is already years old at this point and its reception by critics both here and abroad is not that favorable. Ghibli release or not, this film simply has a lot of elements stacked against it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
I wonder if Michael Cera had anything to do with the film not doing as good as people thought?
It probaly has more to do with the general public not being interested in seeing something "wierd" or different. Unfortunately a lot of the populace wants to see something safe and familiar. Hopefully word of mouth will give Scott Pilgrim staying power. It might do well in DVD sales too.
As for Michael Cera, I think it is just a vocal minority who likes to hate him. I think he is very funny and perfectly cast in the movie. Yes he is pretty much the same character he always plays, but I think that works for Scott.
cyaat21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I live in the US but I saw this movie online a couple of weeks ago.
I think instead of being in select cities, they should play it in more areas. I know that it isn't playing near me, and my friends wanted to see it in theaters. I wonder how much it would affect the profits, and if it would be worth to play it in more areas? I'm not sure how the whole movie-licensing business goes, so I can't really say.

I don't understand why when japanese animated films open in the US, they hardly play it 'everywhere' or in more areas than just the main cities.

Maybe someone can enlighten me?
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wow thats not bad just for 5 theaters
Agreed.

I haven't seen it but I read that Hayao didn't really say whether, it was good or bad, in his opinion. Rather, he said something along the lines of "Well...it was honestly made." I'll probably see it someday along with Paprika.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
shamisen: Like I said before, I usually hate when Hollywood goes Yellow-Face. But if they had to get a white guy to play Shinji in the Hollywood Eva, my pick would be Cera all the way.

Anyway, I know the Miyazaki name and fantasy setting will be the main selling points, but I'm still hoping the fact that it had such a good PTA, in spite of being a PG-13 animated film, will encourage Di$ney to consider putting out Only Yesterday on R1 DVD.
esper50

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:00 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't recall any Akira references in SP.

At one point onscreen there is a text reading "...about to E.X.P.L.O.D.E".
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
esper: Oh.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Scott Pilgrim on the other hand... holy crap, I haven't had that much fun at a movie ever. It was made of pure epicness. If it really makes that little, I'm gonna be just as sad as when The Losers didn't even break 10M its opening weekend.

Tell all your meatworld friends.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that number isn't all that high, not compared to American movies. And should it go for a wider release then those reviews certainly won't help. But how many showings did it have? If it was showing all weekend then that's terrible. But if it only had one or two showings a day...

cyaat21 wrote:
I live in the US but I saw this movie online a couple of weeks ago.
I think instead of being in select cities, they should play it in more areas. I know that it isn't playing near me, and my friends wanted to see it in theaters. I wonder how much it would affect the profits, and if it would be worth to play it in more areas? I'm not sure how the whole movie-licensing business goes, so I can't really say.

I don't understand why when japanese animated films open in the US, they hardly play it 'everywhere' or in more areas than just the main cities.

Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Normally things like that are released in major cities because there it would have a higher chance of filling the theater. They are the testing grounds--if you can't fill seats in NYC then it would be a waste to show it in Des Moines. I understand the desire to have these movies opening in a theater near you (I get that feeling too) but ask yourself this: how many people would really come?

As far as Scott Pilgrim (friggin' awesome!) goes, I'm disappointed but not surprised. I mean, how do you convince someone going to see The Expendables to see this instead? And Michael Cera wasn't nearly as bad as I thought he'd be. Despite being more soft-spoken and whiny than I imagined Scott to be he actually did a good job as the lead.

malik_chan wrote:
I wonder if Michael Cera had anything to do with the film not doing as good as people thought?

He probably brought in some of his fans at the expense of some of the older audience and a few Cera haters.

shamisen the great wrote:
As for Michael Cera, I think it is just a vocal minority who likes to hate him. I think he is very funny and perfectly cast in the movie.

Then what happened to all his fangirls? Oh, right--most of them went to see Eat, Pray, Love. Seriously, enough people both love and hate him for that to have an effect on a property like this. But it should even out in the end because he did do a good job in this movie.

I predict (read: hope) that the numbers will hold steady next week (maybe 6 or 7 mil). Should do good on DVD though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2