• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So many rude people in this forum. Second Chance = ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus H.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
I think I landed on the worst thread to start posting.

First of all, I was expecting this site to have a forum that has a more professional or otherwise friendly member base. But that's not the case. "Thread killers" are rampant, and lots of them treat those opposite of their ideals as vermin that needs to be crushed. That's the main reason why every time the moderators are forced to close down the thread, maybe alongside soapboxing.

I am a long-running member of another anime forums and I haven't encountered stuff like this. The only time is on Sankaku Complex, which I am not a member of.

What's the problem? Is it the high-posting or "elite/elitist" members? The moderators? Or is it some other factor?

Unless I could find a nice friendly group of people here, I might as well get the heck out of here. This community is fricking disappointing. :/
Farix

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
If someone posts something that is anti-industry or pro-fansubs/pro-scanlations, of course other editors are going to directly challenge them. If they don't want your anti-industry or pro-fansubs/pro-scanlations positions challenged, then they shouldn't make them public here.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
Marcus H. wrote:
I am a long-running member of another anime forums and I haven't encountered stuff like this.

You had admitted that you came from one of the largest fansub communities; of course the atmosphere here would be very different from there. And yes, you started with a thread that almost always turns into a mud fight. Not really a good choice, if you ask me.

And an off-topic suggestion: at this sad hour it's better for you not to use Hong Kong as an example of anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Marcus H.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
I don't really care on the issue of fansubs or stuff like that. I just need another friendly and non-4chan anime forum to participate in. I might definitely find myself wallowing in the same mud I splashed in in the first place, so I'm steeling myself for that.

And don't worry about my words, dormcat. I clearly grasp the situation and I'll do my best to not extend it to my piece of Internet sky.

I'm also surprised that this community is much smaller than I have expected. Is this because of the size of licensed material? (Just to avoid getting to a tangent, just answer with short replies. I don't want to get accused for causing a soapboxing affair.)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
Marcus H. wrote:
I don't really care on the issue of fansubs or stuff like that. I just need another friendly and non-4chan anime forum to participate in. I might definitely find myself wallowing in the same mud I splashed in in the first place, so I'm steeling myself for that.

Unfortunately, according to one of our moderators, topics about

Quote:
- Sub vs. dub
- Fansubs, legality, etc.
- Anything to do with lolicon
- Anything to do with moe (inevitably gets conflated with lolicon by trolls)
- Licensing announcements for series that have a popular following in fansubs (inevitably leads to a fansub legality trollfest)
- Anything to do with U.S. politics

are targets of flame wars, and I agree with him. Personally I have steered away from them for a long time.

Marcus H. wrote:
I'm also surprised that this community is much smaller than I have expected. Is this because of the size of licensed material?

That probably contributes some degree but I don't think it's the major cause.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Marcus H. wrote:
I'm also surprised that this community is much smaller than I have expected. Is this because of the size of licensed material? (Just to avoid getting to a tangent, just answer with short replies. I don't want to get accused for causing a soapboxing affair.)

No, I think it's because a lot of people hate Zac. Which is cool since I think he's funny and he keeps all the really pompous people from AoD over there. It's a win/win situation. He's kind of like a filter for really annoying people- sure some get through, but nobody's perfect. Even when they do get through, though, he bans them for being annoying.

But yeah, the News Talkback isn't the best of place since you'll run into a lot of...um...opinionated people. The Interest Talkback, Anime, Retail and Community sections are pretty lax, though. The Anime section will get flamesy every now and then, but it's fairly rare occurrence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Marcus H. wrote:
I'm also surprised that this community is much smaller than I have expected. Is this because of the size of licensed material?

That probably contributes some degree but I don't think it's the major cause.

Personally, I think the weightiest reason is that we require people to be able to spell and use proper grammar. That sort of shuts out 99% of the internet, right there.

- abunai
Rude when the occasion calls for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought the ANN Forum community was gigantic. Am I wrong?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:

It's plenty big, it just doesn't move at the speed of light because we moderate the hell out of it.

Most internet forums don't have anywhere near the level of rules we have here. As Abunai already said, simply requiring "complete sentences" shuts out a whole lot of people.

And while I appreciate the compliment, King of Harts, not that many people hate me, yeesh. I have a small brigade of vocal haters, that's about it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
And while I appreciate the compliment, King of Harts, not that many people hate me, yeesh. I have a small brigade of vocal haters, that's about it.

Where would you rate yourself on the Justin Bieber scale?

Quote:
As Abunai already said, simply requiring "complete sentences" shuts out a whole lot of people.

We have to hope no-one invokes Candlejack becau
Marcus H.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I did notice, Zac is really high on my blunt scale, but I guess he's not that all the time. "Just when needed", I guess.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
vashna wrote:

It's plenty big, it just doesn't move at the speed of light because we moderate the hell out of it.

That's about as truthful as this picture. Razz

Afterall, JC lives! But I digress. TC, truth is, you're kind of doing this: You're a Muslim missionary, posting in a Christian website. Sites differ in functionality and community, man. Some shit simply...doesn't click with some here as it would better with others. Most people don't do this cause they're too damn impatient, but I say, lurk. Stay a lurker for a while, learn the ins and outs, then you'll know how you can talk to whomever.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yea, I'm sorry about the backhanded compliment. It's just that when I peruse the AoD forums, and ANN comes up, I notice that several people don't say nice things about you. Then you add in the people here who don't say things and it just seems like a lot.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Marcus H. wrote:
I think I landed on the worst thread to start posting.

First of all, I was expecting this site to have a forum that has a more professional or otherwise friendly member base. But that's not the case. "Thread killers" are rampant, and lots of them treat those opposite of their ideals as vermin that needs to be crushed. That's the main reason why every time the moderators are forced to close down the thread, maybe alongside soapboxing.

I am a long-running member of another anime forums and I haven't encountered stuff like this. The only time is on Sankaku Complex, which I am not a member of.

What's the problem? Is it the high-posting or "elite/elitist" members? The moderators? Or is it some other factor?

Unless I could find a nice friendly group of people here, I might as well get the heck out of here. This community is fricking disappointing. :/

So let me get this right....you're going to come in and run your mouth and completely judge an entire forum's fanbase. You're going to be rude and ignorant yourself and insult the entire forum after being here for only 2 days and making 10 posts. How about first before you complain about a lack of professionalism and lack of friendliness you show some yourself. Otherwise you're just a big hypocrit. You might also want to be around for more then 2 days before you starting casting judgment on us as Christ reborn. We have our share of idiots but judging the entire forum given your short stay here is what is truly disappointing. I'd personally love to know what other forums you're on where there magically aren't idiots. That I would love to see.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Errrr ... anyways...

It simply comes down to specific topics more than anything. As mentioned above fansubs and lolicon and the endless dub/sub debate will pretty much always degrade in to attacks and trolling. We have a lot of passionate people here about these topics on both sides, but it only takes one person to turn a thread down the road of attacks ans insults and pretty soon it's simply better off locked. It's actually because we have a pretty sizable community that this happens.

As for it seeming smaller, that is because of the speed at which it flows as mentioned above. Too put a bit more meat on what Zac said, it's simply because we have a more rigid rule structure here than many forums. All the "List your favorite anime" and "What anime characters do you like?" threads don't really fly here because we don't allow simple list posting but instead encourage discussion and reasoning. Another instance is that recommendation threads aren't allowed outside the official genre specific ones we have. This is simply because there was a point that they were becoming so common they were practically taking the anime forum over and drowning out the actual discussions.

But yeah, you're going to meet all kinds here, and fansubs are one of the most volatile hot button issues you can bring up at this time. Dub/sub debates aren't quite as bad as they used to be, but I think when I first started posting here that was probably the most volatile one at the time. The loli debates are gaining steam lately though, so I wouldn't be surprised if that takes the top position eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2