• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oto Nyan Mag for 2D Boys in Girls' Clothing to Launch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's a trap!

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Boys in skirts isn't my thing (the only exception is Ciel Phantomhive in a dress...) but I'd probably still check it out... OTL
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
The funny thing is that there is a Japanese wikipedia article on Otokonoko, but not for the English one

There's little you could add to such an article other than a dictionary definition and a list of examples. It wouldn't last long (I once, foolishly, created an article for Iinchou which has since been moved to wiktionary - the only surprising thing is that it actually survived for 3 years). Even "kawaii" only survived by morphing into the more general "Cuteness in Japanese culture". A niche neologism in another language just isn't going to survive on Wikipedia without a lot of notable coverage (while ANN news is considered notable, I don't think a couple of articles is enough).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmm from the looks of the cover of that, it seems like its focus might be a little more on the ecchi side than WAai!
WAai! has its share of anatomical correctness with bulging panties, so I'm not sure how much further it could go with imagery.
I'm suspecting in order for Oto Nyan to be a little more risque, would have BL and shota elements to it, which WAai! seems to lack.

As for the positive interest toward this type of thing, think of boys in girl's clothing as a way to make anime characters as cute as actual girls, but with the added appeal of them not being girls. It's hard to explain but the target audience for this is undoubtedly guys, while any statement of said demographic's sexual orientation is rather irrelevant.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Japan needs to make more "trap" manga and anime because it's the fertile common ground between the male moé fans and female fujoshi yaoi fans. Double the audience, double the profits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gorbal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
As long as they don't try to appeal to the H/alternative crowd.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
gorbal wrote:
As long as they don't try to appeal to the H/alternative crowd.
They already have. The H/alt crowd has already had this covered, just by being adult it's explored and targeted every fetish so large growth in otokonoko in hentai is not going to have much impact on mainstream genres. Otokonoko fans merely reveal interest in this is supported in the mainstream and is completely independent of fluctuations in hentai content. When I say mainstream I'm referring to Japan. Magazines like Megami represent the popularity of the moe/cute bishoujo in mainstream anime culture. Likewise is true of the rise of mags like WAai! and Oto-Nyan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2