• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Puppet Master/Animator Kihachiro Kawamoto Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
What's with all the deaths recently? Too many...too many.

A couple of these guys were 60+ which makes me curious - what's the average age of Japanese animation directors these days? I would hope that the ratio of younger to older is a healthy one, but with all the deaths of top directors recently I wonder.

This can only be described as a sad end to a sad week.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Raz_G wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Not familiar with his work but may he rest in peace. Good long life good long career, thank you for your dedication.

A DVD that collects some of his short films, "The Exquisite Short Films of Kihachiro Kawamoto" was released in the US, and another one with his feature "The Book of the Dead" is also available. While his style takes some time getting used too, I highly recommend checking out his work.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

I like experimental animation but I didn't know Kawamoto, I'm sad that he passed away not the less, though. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
After hearing about this along with Kon and Yamauchi. How can this get any worse?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leongsh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
After hearing about this along with Kon and Yamauchi. How can this get any worse?

Please do not tempt the situation. I'm having a hard time with Kon's death and before one can recover, then it's was Yamauchi's turn.

Now, another respected personage of Kawamoto? While I'm not familiar with his works, it's decimating the already thin ranks of animators in Japan.

Enough... please stop... whoever/whatever. This week has been terrible.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
...DAMN you 'Rule of three'! Seriously, this is just sucky. Crying or Very sad

I can honestly say I've never heard of the man, but still, we're losing too many too fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
The obituaries that have appeared at http://angura.org/post/1020181527/kihachiro-kawamoto-passes http://jaspersharp.com/blog/news/2010/08/mourning-two-great-animators and http://nishikataeiga.blogspot.com/2010/08/passing-of-puppet-master-kihachiro.html are all different and worth reading, particularly the Nishikata one, wether you're familiar with Kawamoto or not. If you're not, you should be; in Japan he's up there with Ghibli, Tezuka, YOKOYAMA Ryuichi and MIZUKI Shigeru in having this museum of his puppets:

Well, OK, maybe not Mizuki, whom has seemingly much of his home city dedicated to his characters, and it definitely seems to be more on account of the live action series than his animation but it shows that his style of puppet design must have had huge cultural clout during the years that these series ran, and continues to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2