• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Novel)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
Just got this in the mail Monday myself. I hope to see more English language light novel reviews here.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
I thought Remote Island was better in the anime version. They didn't goof off as long to when the mystery starts (and the goofing off felt more entertaining in the anime), and there were more clues in the anime version. Also, spoiler[the dangling thread of whether Haruhi accidentally created some sort of "killer" somewhere on the Island was so brilliant that I was shocked it wasn't a part of the original novel.]

Though one thing that always bugged me in the anime version: why the hell did the camera zoom in on Kyon's mole at the end? Is it some sort of cultural reference or what? Or was it just a meaningless moment, just like how it begun with a meaningless moment (the mysterious woman who had nothing to do with any of this)? Talk about bizarre.

The baseball part had pros and cons in both versions. Some moments were better animated (Yuki's super-throw always makes me laugh), but the novel gave a more reasonable conclusion (spoiler[in the anime, Haruhi agreed to forfeit too easily, in the novel it felt more believable]).
tmsidr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the middle of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and I like Boredom more than Sigh. Sigh was great in the anime version but the novel was a little bit boring in my opinion, so I prefer the quick short stories in Boredom.

By the way, the color illustrations should be the same in both the hardcover and paperback version.
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
This had been out for like 2 months...
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Just a little FYI for those reading "Boredom". In the baseball story, the count on the last batter should be 0 - 2, not 2 - 0 as written (page 41 of the hardcover). According to someone at Yen Press, the mistake is in the original, not the translation.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
The mistake is not in the original.

After years of watching baseball anime (Major, Cross Game, Touch, etc), I can state that the Japanese list the count itself backwards (instead of balls-strikes they do it strikes-balls, so a 3-2 count in English is a 2-3 count in Japanese).

Odds are that's just a Yen Press translator trying to duck responsibility to research such things.
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
This really is a fun novel if you're a fan of the characters and wanna just see them hanging out, but I can also see why it's not considered as exciting as the first two (and really, it's really a 'calm before the storm' novel, as the 4th one contains one epic story). However, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody is very important for later events in the novels, so this is certainly not one to skip.

When it comes to Mikuru, I find myself highly amused by Kyon's musings of her. Mostly because I'm praying that she'll be revealed to be Kyon's daughter/niece/grandaughter, just to see/read his reaction. If this ends up happening, it'll be beyond priceless.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

So you're saying if something isn't reviewed before or as soon as it comes out it isn't relevant? Rolling Eyes Besides, it's only been out for just shy of 8 weeks, that's still considered new, people are still likely to buy it based on the review.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I still have to buy volume 7 of the manga, now I need this too!
DeathCrunch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Though one thing that always bugged me in the anime version: why the hell did the camera zoom in on Kyon's mole at the end? Is it some sort of cultural reference or what? Or was it just a meaningless moment, just like how it begun with a meaningless moment (the mysterious woman who had nothing to do with any of this)? Talk about bizarre.

It will come into play when they animate the related story, "Snow Mountain Syndrome".
It has nothing to do with "Lone Island Syndrome" other than the fact that Itsuki notices Kyon has the mole, much in the same way Kyon knows that Mikuru has a mole.

Saying much more will spoil the twist in SMS but keep the moles in mind.

The mysterious women might well be one of the later characters spying on them or something but it's one of the unexplained things as of yet. Like pretty much everything Yuki does in Endless Eight.
Yeah we know why she did them on the whole but not individual reasons.
teferi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought Remote Island was better in the anime version.

Is it just me or did they eliminate the drinking scene in the anime? If so, novel > anime ;p

Quote:
Odds are that's just a Yen Press translator trying to duck responsibility to research such things.

Kinda of annoying that they don't bother to research just baout anything. Kyon makes all kinds of random cultural references that have left me wondering what the hell he's talking about, and Yen Press doesn't make so much as a single effort to do anything but a straight up translation, no footnotes, no nothing -_-

And then they manage to print it (and other novels) with typos on top of that. Can't really think of any other title where I'd put up with a 14.99 harcover of a 200 page book with typos O.o
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:

When it comes to Mikuru, I find myself highly amused by Kyon's musings of her. Mostly because I'm praying that she'll be revealed to be Kyon's daughter/niece/grandaughter, just to see/read his reaction. If this ends up happening, it'll be beyond priceless.

Mikuru's behavior to Kyon has always appeared to be "We can't get together because it would make Haruhi jealous, and she would destroy the world", and not "We can't get together because it would be creepy incest". So if they were related, Mikuru doesn't seem to know it.
population_tire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
population_tire wrote:

So you're saying if something isn't reviewed before or as soon as it comes out it isn't relevant? Rolling Eyes Besides, it's only been out for just shy of 8 weeks, that's still considered new, people are still likely to buy it based on the review.

Emerje

That's exactly what I'm saying. I've already read it and made my own opinion of it. I don't need to hear someone else's.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
DeathCrunch wrote:

It will come into play when they animate the related story, "Snow Mountain Syndrome".
It has nothing to do with "Lone Island Syndrome" other than the fact that Itsuki notices Kyon has the mole, much in the same way Kyon knows that Mikuru has a mole.

Why? Hundreds of people have moles, that in itself doesn't mean they are related in anyway, and moles are like finger prints as well. clutching at gossamers me thinks. Wink
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
DeathCrunch wrote:

Why? Hundreds of people have moles, that in itself doesn't mean they are related in anyway, and moles are like finger prints as well. clutching at gossamers me thinks. Wink

Considering he said it comes up in a future story that ALSO has the word Syndrome in its title, I'd say it's definitely meant to be related.

Also, thanks DeathCrunch, that helped a lot.

teferi, Yuki surfing tied to the boat was funnier than the drinking scene, so for me anime version > novel version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2