• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - System Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun...you do realize that in attempt to defend the series, you easily just addressed one of its' biggest problems...right?

The fact that all those side games DON'T have much impact on the story, other than shoved-in-at-the-last-second details. Making them completely worthless in the long run.

Which only proves even more that Failmura is stalling cause he can't come up with anything coherent...
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Kyogissun...you do realize that in attempt to defend the series, you easily just addressed one of its' biggest problems...right?

The fact that all those side games DON'T have much impact on the story, other than shoved-in-at-the-last-second details. Making them completely worthless in the long run.

Which only proves even more that Failmura is stalling cause he can't come up with anything coherent...

I don't think it's a question of "impact on the story" to determine worth as much as, you know, fun...

I thought those side-games were fun, and thus their existence is justified
Almaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

The one thing that everyone seemed to miss is the fact that Square Enix might be the one wanting all of these games. If memory serves, Kingdom Hearts was an experiment. Square Enix, from what I understand, was expecting the series to be average. Dissing the creator (Casey, you admit the first game was good), is silly without knowing the background that no one here is privy to. He might not have the opportunity in this market to get what he wants (which is VERY LIKELY). Maybe he wants to keep his job. Square Enix made it quite clear after they took over Eidos that game series are going to be spammed to death.

Obviously, Casey you are a minority. The game series is still a hit. That is all that matters to the brass. My opinion, your opinion is both BS to them.

IMO.. I agree that the series is getting diluted. I find this problem in many series in the whole gambit of games from different publishers. I do not play the KH series. My sister does. I played FF X and XII. My sister has played more FF series than I, and she still loves KH series. Getting bent over the lack of balance is not a new phenomenon. My sister hates FF XIII so what about that? She said 356/2 was the only game so far to have lackluster game play. She plays the games for the storyline and characters (original KH characters, not Disney and FF.) She would only quit buying KH if Miley Cyrus shows up in it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

I'm not going to go as far as calling Nomura a parasite, but he's not all he's cracked up to be. I've seen Square fans call him the company's golden boy and...he's really not. He hasn't done anything I would call truly revolutionary or innovative as far as narrative or gameplay and in terms of skill or talent Yoshiharu Gotanda and Yasumi Matsuno beat the stuffing out of him. And as an artist, forget it; the only reason he was brought on as a character designer for the FF series was because 3D engines weren't (and arguably still aren't) capable of rendering Amano's magnificent, surreal art style. And then of course Akihiko Yoshida came on board alongside Matsuno and then another artist who surpassed Nomura was around.

He is also having legitimate problems with the KH series as its narrative has become INSANELY convoluted. I know the side stories are supposed to fill in gaps and plot holes or whatever, but if you need that then something has CLEARLY gone wrong. Even then I've read summaries of 358 and BBS and they make NO FLIPPING SENSE. Plus it's kind've embarrassing when the only reason the series is successful is because Sakaguchi told Nomura to treat the plot seriously. Anyway, I do think Square needs to stop spoiling Nomura, the guy is stagnating from various angles
Almaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
He is also having legitimate problems with the KH series as its narrative has become INSANELY convoluted. I know the side stories are supposed to fill in gaps and plot holes or whatever, but if you need that then something has CLEARLY gone wrong. Even then I've read summaries of 358 and BBS and they make NO FLIPPING SENSE. Plus it's kind've embarrassing when the only reason the series is successful is because Sakaguchi told Nomura to treat the plot seriously. Anyway, I do think Square needs to stop spoiling Nomura, the guy is stagnating from various angles

My opinion again. I think KH was supposed to be a one game title with no hopes of a series. What you see with all of the different side games is a race to recreate a storyline at the last minute. KH became popular, and Square Enix sees $$$$$$. Nomura was the 'genius' (can be debated) who created the $$$$$ so he get the helm and a pat on the back. Is that not what they like to do in Japan? I would not want to be in his shoes. The fact still remains that the series is a cash cow. Of course, anyone can b*tch about anything. It is America. As of spoiling Nomura, have you noticed his background? He is not a noob. He has been with the company a long time with KH being his first time as the director. I am sure he has enough people breathing down his neck. Gaming development is not a "fun" environment any more. I would like to see him get another chance with another property before writing him off.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
:head explodes:

Oh...kay. I'm officially exiting this this thread since the "old vs new fan-wankers" have officially multiplied beyond my ability to handle.

I'm just going to go play my Valkyria Chronicles II and get Birth by Sleep on it's day of release than contribute further to all this BS about video game industry politics.

I mean, they're just games after all Razz
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

My opinion again. I think KH was supposed to be a one game title with no hopes of a series. What you see with all of the different side games is a race to recreate a storyline at the last minute. KH became popular, and Square Enix sees $$$$$$. Nomura was the 'genius' (can be debated) who created the $$$$$ so he get the helm and a pat on the back. Is that not what they like to do in Japan? I would not want to be in his shoes. The fact still remains that the series is a cash cow. Of course, anyone can b*tch about anything. It is America. As of spoiling Nomura, have you noticed his background? He is not a noob. He has been with the company a long time with KH being his first time as the director. I am sure he has enough people breathing down his neck. Gaming development is not a "fun" environment any more. I would like to see him get another chance with another property before writing him off.

When you put it that way, I'm strongly inclined to think the one thing that can save Kingdom Hearts is moving Nomura far, far away from it.

Unless he gets hit by a bus tomorrow, that ain't happening. Kingdom Hearts is a doomed series.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Nomura getting hit by a bus would help a LOT of things; and if Toriyama and Kitase got hit along with him the quality at Square would jump drastically.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Screw the haters, BBS looks fun. And I'm looking forward to FF Versus, so nobody run over Nomura yet.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

I'm just happy to finally get one on the PSP, as pretty much every DS game I bought was forgettable to the point I got rid of it and my library of games for it, including "three-five-eight days over two" stupidest title ever.
You don't by a DS for Kingdom Hearts. You buy a DS for Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey.

If you think the entirely library of DS is forgettable, then PSP has nothing but NIS rehashes. One troll hyperbole deserves another.

(And yes, I hate Nomura with passion, to the point I'm not considering The World Ends With You worth my time, even if its a DS exclusive).
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:
Screw the haters, BBS looks fun. And I'm looking forward to FF Versus, so nobody run over Nomura yet.

Oi oi, I'm critical of the series. Not a hater...

THIS is why I posted the link back to Shelf Life, and said what I had to say... Really. One thing I hate more than Nomura's incompetence? People jumping on the hatewagon without even so much as trying to understand what I'm saying...
sfried wrote:
The World Ends With You worth my time, even if its a DS exclusive).

Well, then you'll be glad to know that you've been terribly misinformed: Nomura had little to nothing to do with WEWY. All he did was act as "executive producer", meaning he dealt with the game budget, and drew the cover art. That's it.

WEWY is entirely Tatsuya Kando, who is without a doubt, a thousand times more talented than Failmura in pretty much every respect.

This is another thing that's really starting to piss me off: Nomura getting credit for shit he barely had anything to do with. Like, 3rd Birthday for a more recent example. Once again, he has absolutely no role in the game's story, characters, or development other than one or two pieces of artwork, yet he's getting completely crowbarred into the hype machine. He's tweeting more than any of the actual game staff, and about really nothing...

Even more proof that he needs to be deleted. Parasite.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Gargoyles is good. Goof Troop is not/

Hey, Goof Troops had a great game on the SNES! One of the best co-op's I've got!

Isn't Goofy already in Kingdom Hearts, anyway? I don't know, I've never played any of them. And starting to be kind of glad of it based on all the arguments going on...
Almaz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Isn't Goofy already in Kingdom Hearts, anyway? I don't know, I've never played any of them. And starting to be kind of glad of it based on all the arguments going on...

Don't let some of these numb nuts discourage you from trying Kingdom Hearts. I do not know your taste in games. I do know for all of these naysayers (who opinions are still important in some ways); there are an equal or larger group who enjoy the series. Go to http://www.gamerankings.com/ , and you will see the game series ranks quite well. The games are not bad. It might not be games you enjoy. I would rent them to see if you like them.

If the size of your "game collection" determines your wealth in game wisdom, I have to say I trump the 'other' person. My brother's collection makes mine look petty. It is sad that a collection is a measure of your wisdom/knowledge. I know complete idiots (not referring to anyone on this forum) who have played tons of games.

As the Nomura issue, $%$#. I get mixed signals from people here. I get the impression that any game that has Nomura remotely involved is trash. I do not see the logic in that. If he did not do any work in the games, how can he be the problem? Unlucky charm? Reminds me like John Romero. He thought he was a god in game creation like Carmack. I would consider a game from Carmack long before one from Romero. However, I would not write him off completely just because he was involved. Most of Romero's work was fair to poor, but he did have the ability to pull off some interesting ideas. When you get to a point that you need to have game developers tossed off of the bridge, you need a new hobby. If you are unhappy that he is getting undue credit, leave it at that. It does seem to me that is biasing your opinion of the issue. Correct me if I am wrong, and people do not have to be hostile in your retorts.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

I'm just happy to finally get one on the PSP, as pretty much every DS game I bought was forgettable to the point I got rid of it and my library of games for it, including "three-five-eight days over two" stupidest title ever.
You don't by a DS for Kingdom Hearts. You buy a DS for Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey.

If you think the entirely library of DS is forgettable, then PSP has nothing but NIS rehashes. One troll hyperbole deserves another.

(And yes, I hate Nomura with passion, to the point I'm not considering The World Ends With You worth my time, even if its a DS exclusive).

Wow... did you actually read what I wrote?
1) I didn't say I bought a DS for Kingdom Hearts, only that I owned it.
2) I didn't say the entire library of DS games was forgettable, only my library of games for it.
3) I specifically said I don't like grid-based RPGs, which is a majority of NIS games. So why you'd even bring that up is beyond me.

The only one trolling here is you. I was simply stating my preferences. And anything to do with Shin Megami Tensei doesn't interest me, which is why I have no plans to get P3P, nor does Etrian Odyssey. The whole touchscreen gimmick of the DS quickly bored me, especially when most games I actually played didn't even need the stylus, and the ones that did use the stylus were poorly done, aside from first-party titles. Speaking of which, Bowser's Inside Story was probably the best use of the various DS features I'd seen yet, but that didn't save the system for me.

Anywho, yeah, BBS next week. All the haters (of KH or Nomura) can take their negativity elsewhere. Railing against a series that does well, or its creator, isn't gonna change anyone's mind. You're just soapboxing.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
Showsni wrote:

Don't let some of these numb nuts discourage you from trying Kingdom Hearts. I do not know your taste in games. I do know for all of these naysayers (who opinions are still important in some ways); there are an equal or larger group who enjoy the series. Go to http://www.gamerankings.com/ , and you will see the game series ranks quite well. The games are not bad. It might not be games you enjoy. I would rent them to see if you like them.

If the size of your "game collection" determines your wealth in game wisdom, I have to say I trump the 'other' person. My brother's collection makes mine look petty. It is sad that a collection is a measure of your wisdom/knowledge. I know complete idiots (not referring to anyone on this forum) who have played tons of games.

That's a shallow thing to say... My collection is pitiful compared to the amount of shit I've played. I'm a game renter, mostly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4