• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-09-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
I've seen the English translations. I died on the inside. Gokudera is supposed to be this rough-tough bad boy who doesn't open up to anyone and has a stalker crush on Tsuna. In the viz version he sounds like a country boy. (He actually says "Yer darn tootin'...) They say things like "This is fishier than a herring net." (Can't remember exact text.)
With stuff like that in the middle of serious moments it's hard to take it seriously. Any fan of Reborn that has started with fan scans will most likely want nothing to do with it. Any fan starting out with Reborn will probably be turned off by the beginning art work and translation. It's no wonder that it's probably not doing well.

Exactly this.

Reborn! has been my all time favourite series that I have been obsessed with for almost 3 years and I've bought every single official Viz volume released so far (up to 16 atm) but as I had already read the scanlations, I only recently actually sat down and read thru them all for the first time. And I was appalled at the translation quality.

I'll tell you why of course, but let me quickly scope how much of a huge fan of this series I am. In addition to the English vols, I own every single Japanese tankobon (1-30 atm) as well as Vongola 77 (data book), Colore (artbook) & all 4 of the novels. Plus multitudes of official Japanese merch. The only reason I got a Cruncyroll sub is to watch & support the Reborn! anime. In short, even thou I read the weekly scanlations, I don't feel guilty/leechy at all considering I've spent over AU$1200 on Reborn! alone.

Now, back to why I was appealed by Viz's releases. (Currently, I'm studying Japanese at University. So whilst I'm nowhere near fluent, I do have an educated clue.) Just by reading their volumes you would cringe at the horrible dialogue they have given the characters. Not to mention the other issues. I swear they employed a blind editor. Specific examples I can remember off the top of my head include:

They used 'senpai' in the first vol, then 'sempai' in the third. Random & infrequent uses of -'san', '-kun' etc. This really annoys me in particular: you either use honorifics all the time or not at all.
The other thing that really annoyed me was the indiscriminate & inconsistent use of names. As far as I know, Tsuna has never called Gokudera or Yamamoto by their first names. Yet he frequently did in the earlier English vols. Thankfully them seem to have stopped that in the more recent vols (about 10 +).
Ryohei's catchphrase was first 'to the limit' then they changed it to 'the extreme' ...then back to 'to the limit'.
I have absolutely no idea how since it's clearly written in furigana AND romaji but they incorrectly translated Kokuyo as Kuroyo all thru the 8th volume.... then fixed it in the next with no correction notes about it.
One final point that really got under my skin was the translated character exclamations. Maybe it's an American thing but I've never heard any teenagers say 'Holy hat' or 'Holy cheese on a bagel' or 'Holy cracker on rye' or ' Cripes' or 'Jiminy cricket' any of the other ridiculous expressions they use. They already gave it an OT rating, how hard is it to have them say 'Holy shit' or 'damn' or even a simple 'crap'? Same with Gokudera's speech as stated by InnocentSorrow59. I know he has like a gansta/regional accent in Japanese but still, his lines are terrible.

I'm sorry if this just sounds like ranting but they wonder why some people prefer scanlations & don't support the industry. Rolling Eyes

THIS. (Also, love the Fran picture. All hail to you, Fran, your apathetic-ness.)

I don't feel any guilt towards reading fan scans. No, I don't have a crunchyroll subscription and I don't buy the English volumes either. I don't own any of the Japanese takoban volumes, but I do own a Vongola 77. The Viz media version is so bad, you won't feel guilt about pirating. It is that bad. (Though I plan on buying the Japanese volumes...)

I only read 2 or 3 volumes of it from the Varia arc and I choked on my own vomit. "Holy hats!" -_- Seriously? SERIOUSLY?! COME ON VIZ MEDIA!! I'm glad they didn't mess up FMA or any other series I like with those crappy translations. I'VE SEEN SHOJO WITH MORE CURSING THAN ENGLISH REBORN!!

He's in the damn mafia!! Unless the Vongola is stationed somewhere in the country region of Italy where they use those weird sayings I don't think it's excusable!

The translations are about as accurate as 4kids dubs. Did they use babelfish or something?!

With it's rating, I think even a simply "Damn it" would be nice. Gokudera saying such things... That "Yer darn tootin" was just... I was laughing at how OOC it would be for Gokudera, tough bad boy extrodinaire, to say that. I was also crying on the inside at how bad it was.
Yelling things like "This is fishier than a herring net" when you're about to engage in a battle determining whether you live or die... Just, why Viz?

Things like these are why people don't wanna give Reborn a chance. -_- I know pirating is a huge problem, but with translations are horrible as that can you blame us? It's so bad, it's horrible. It makes you wanna bang your head against a wall until you receive enough brain damage to forget you ever saw it.

On a side note, I noticed there was a fourth bunny picture added, that, or I'm tripping serious ballz.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
If Zac was looking for an opportunity to be taken seriously as a supervillain, I think this was not that time. I guess you have to mention moe more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
I'm always in the mood for some Zac-induced Answermanning. Come again!
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
One final point that really got under my skin was the translated character exclamations. Maybe it's an American thing but I've never heard any teenagers say 'Holy hat' or 'Holy cheese on a bagel' or 'Holy cracker on rye' or ' Cripes' or 'Jiminy cricket' any of the other ridiculous expressions they use. They already gave it an OT rating, how hard is it to have them say 'Holy shit' or 'damn' or even a simple 'crap'? Same with Gokudera's speech as stated by InnocentSorrow59. I know he has like a gansta/regional accent in Japanese but still, his lines are terrible.
Do the exclamations in the original Japanese sound like current speech, or are they off?
Hakunoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
To me i prefer the Japanese sub, I'm used to hearing it more than the dub since some dub really annoying and sometime it doesn't fit the character
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I think it's always hilarious when Zac abuses power with evil-innocent bunnies Twisted Evil
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:

I'm sorry if this just sounds like ranting but they wonder why some people prefer scanlations & don't support the industry. Rolling Eyes

I don't profess to be fluent in Japanese by any means, but from what I understand, Japanese doesn't really have curse words like 'holy shit'. Now, don't get me wrong. Even not having read any scans of Reborn, even I have to question the use of retarded terms like 'Holy hat' and the various other stupid expressions that you have brought up. But, I don't necessarily think that throwing curse words in there is needed either. Of course, I could very well be wrong on this. Again, I don't profess to know what the proper translation is and I'm quite sure that Viz botched it, but to what degree, I couldn't say. I just don't think there's a need for swearing just because it may or may not translate that way.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me... But the drawing of the third bunny reminds me of the Watership Down movie Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryume

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote
It was great to hear from you Zac! Your venomous wit has been tamed a bit I see, but you're still as enjoyable as ever.
JaQiLinOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
Wall of texts.

Glad someone can see where I'm coming from. Laughing My poor best friend had to listen to me rant for several hours about it to her. ^^;

agila61 wrote:
Do the exclamations in the original Japanese sound like current speech, or are they off?

No and that's the thing that got me. I compared a lot (and trust me when I say a lot, I've pretty much read the whole series simultaneously >>; ) of the hinky English dialogue against the original Japanese, like bubble for bubble, and it is predominately Tsuna's standard hiiiii's and uwaaa's etc. What annoyed me was their desire to turn a simple exclamation into some silly sounding expression. It sounds kinds acceptable during the gag chapters but when it got seriouser, the language should have too.

Sailor S wrote:
I don't profess to be fluent in Japanese by any means, but from what I understand, Japanese doesn't really have curse words like 'holy shit'. Now, don't get me wrong. Even not having read any scans of Reborn, even I have to question the use of retarded terms like 'Holy hat' and the various other stupid expressions that you have brought up. But, I don't necessarily think that throwing curse words in there is needed either. Of course, I could very well be wrong on this. Again, I don't profess to know what the proper translation is and I'm quite sure that Viz botched it, but to what degree, I couldn't say. I just don't think there's a need for swearing just because it may or may not translate that way.

Yes, you are quite right on both Japanese not really having curse words in the extend range we do & no need for them unnecessarily in the English edition! However, I personally feel that one of the most important factors in translation (hoping one day to be a pro myself) is accurately getting across the spirit of the original into the target language/demographic and on that count, Viz failed in some areas. If they are going to release it under the Advanced label then at least make it less immature so that the 16+ crowd they are supposedly aiming for, don't just roll their eyes and put it back on the shelf. I mean, simply compare Death Note against Reborn! and I think the point is made.
(The other interesting point of course is that they both run/ran in the same magazine in Japan...)

Look honestly, even for all my ranting, in the overall scheme of things it's not like it was life and death errors. It was mainly misc stuff that has gotten noticeably better in recent volumes and I'm still going to buy every new release because I believe in supporting the companies that are working hard to bring manga to us legally and of course, I enjoy having an English version in my hands.

Also, my apologies if I lead the thread off topic. Embarassed
RagnaBloodEdge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
The second bunny picture....well, it made me go "Awwww". Oh man, I couldn't help it. I wish, Hitman Reborn, would get dubbed too. If anyone is going to watch it; Watch it from, Episode Twenty. That's when the story....well, picks up.

Anyways, I've been reading, Hitman Reborn since...2008, I believe. I don't really watch the anime, but from what I saw, there were no fillers, until they went into the Future(Spoilers?)

I'll shut up there. I'll continue to wait, for a dub. But then again, If a dub, does surface....I'm expecting a crap load of complainers. *sigh*
JaQiLinOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
RagnaBloodEdge wrote:
Oh man, I couldn't help it. I wish, Hitman Reborn, would get dubbed too. If anyone is going to watch it; Watch it from, Episode Twenty. That's when the story....well, picks up.

Anyways, I've been reading, Hitman Reborn since...2008, I believe. I don't really watch the anime, but from what I saw, there were no fillers, until they went into the Future(Spoilers?)

I'll shut up there. I'll continue to wait, for a dub. But then again, If a dub, does surface....I'm expecting a crap load of complainers. *sigh*
I wish people wouldn't tell people to skip the Daily Life Arc. It's crucial for cementing the characters and their relationships. *restrains self from off-topic rant*
(and this is directed at everyone in general, not trying to be mean to you in particular.)

Yes, the anime has had 2 short (~10) arc 'official' fillers late in the Future Arc (one about/with the spoiler[Arcobaleno] and one about/with the spoiler[First Gen Guardians.] They were quite good and had some very interesting backstory!) Amano has stated that she would like fans to treat them as canon.

Unfortunately I highly doubt Reborn! will ever be licensed/dubbed. Considering it's 203 eps (last episode is next week Crying or Very sad), the English manga isn't a bestseller and it streams on Crunchyroll. But Gintama was sort of in the same situation so you never know, a miracle could happen. Not holding my breath thou.. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4