• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Voice-Acting Contest Accepts Int'l Entrants

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
Well, if I were Japanese and still in high school I'd totally enter the scenario contest. It'd be kind of cool getting the chance to conceptualize an idea for an anime series and have the chance to make that idea a reality. But considering who's judging I'm not so sure ideas like mine would get picked, seems skewed towards cutesy mahou shoujo.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Well, if I were Japanese and still in high school I'd totally enter the scenario contest. It'd be kind of cool getting the chance to conceptualize an idea for an anime series and have the chance to make that idea a reality. But considering who's judging I'm not so sure ideas like mine would get picked, seems skewed towards cutesy mahou shoujo.

I'm sorry, but your perception is the one that is skewed. Just because they produced some fan-pandering cutesy show, it doesn't mean that they're not open to new ideas. You don't know until you try.

Can't enter the scenario contest? Then enter the Picture book category. If you have good idea for short simple story, then you already finished the half of the process. I don't think they're expecting an epic of some kind.

Such negativity will not get you anywhere.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
Just remember to copyright protect your works before submitting. Wouldn't want some companies "getting inspiration" from your ideas. Laughing
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I'm sorry, but your perception is the one that is skewed. Just because they produced some fan-pandering cutesy show, it doesn't mean that they're not open to new ideas. You don't know until you try.

True, but if the end result is for the company to make money, I don't think out-of-the-box will be as handsomely rewarded as you might think.

It doesn't mean that out-of-the-box can't win, it's just a note to temper your expectations accordingly.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

Can't enter the scenario contest? Then enter the Picture book category. If you have good idea for short simple story, then you already finished the half of the process. I don't think they're expecting an epic of some kind.

Such negativity will not get you anywhere.

It wasn't negativity it was being realistic, geeze Rolling Eyes
Is it possible they could pick something that's truly visionary like the works of the late Satoshi Kon and the like? Totally, but it's just likely if not more likely that they'd pick something in the vein of what they've worked on and are familiar with. Those things tend to happen, it's called human nature.

As for the picture book contest, I don't do picture books. I don't draw well, and my works always novel length nothing that could be placed in a picture book, so that sort of competition is completely out of my depth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1