• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Parent's CEO Michael Lattanzio Steps Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepyNeko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Perez was one of several individuals who temporarily headed SPJA during the interim period between Pon and Karahashi's tenures, and again during the interim period between Karahashi and Lattanzio's tenures.

Mr. Perez did not head the SPJA between Ms. Pon and Ms. Karahashi. If memory serves me correctly, this role was facilitated by Josh Ritter, then president of the SPJA Board of Directors. Mr. Perez, however, did facilitate the role of acting CEO between Ms. Karahashi and Mr. Lattanzio.

-BrianR, AX staff since 2004
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Mach5Motorsport wrote:
LMAO...This was soooooo gonna happen after the meltdown/walkout in December.

AX could have stopped it early, but NOOOO they backed this loser CEO. A lot of mission critical DHs and staff walked out when this Lattanzio opened his mouth.

The only reason he stayed was because so many stupid people bought his BS, supported him which lead to AX just getting kicked in the ass.

Perez is stuck cleaning up the mess that Lattanzio left as one of his main supporters but question is does he have the ability to pull this one out and make the necessary changes to raise up moral but that will take time with so much lost respect from the ones who count.

AX is suppose to be about the fans not a business that mistreats its fans to penny pinch them, and everyone who did support that is eating it now.
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
crunchycat wrote:
The only reason he stayed was because so many stupid people bought his BS, supported him which lead to AX just getting kicked in the ass.

Perez is stuck cleaning up the mess that Lattanzio left as one of his main supporters
The BOD was blinded by his flashy resume. Having a big company on his resume made a lot of the staff believe that he was the answer to all their prayers - to grow.

The eventual rift occurred between those who believe that the ad hoc way of of running the SPJA as it was growing was disenchanting a lot of higher ups who believe that the org was outgrowing its roots and those who believe that SPJA should stick to its roots - a con by fans, for fans.

After his departure, what will happen to the people he brought on board? That and all his loyal supporters?
crunchycat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
yea but the BoD should of realized his lies, such as he know Akira Kurosawa or his brothers, no one in Japan really knew of him even going so far as threatening a Sony employee saying he knew the CEO of sony and he was unknown by anyone.

His main supporter on the BoD is the one currently taking over the CEO job Perez and well he's apparently signed some pretty bad contracts in his time. As for his other supporters well Im sure when a competant CEO takes the reigns of AX all of them will be gone especially someone who backstabbed and lied to so many of his peers because now no one will vouch for him or them any longer.

I will say thanks to Lattanzio sucking the BoD will have to restructure and the workers will be re evaluated.
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
crunchycat wrote:
yea but the BoD should of realized his lies,
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda... like I said... when you have been running the con like it was a high school club, and you are in way over your heads as to how to run a large organization effectively, and a man with Lattanzio's credentials walk in through the door.. I bet Perez thought his prayers would be answered. Lattanzio was going to take the nonprofit and turn it into a for-profit, and Perez will get in on the base floor. Once the company takes off (as Lattanzio is sure to be selling the BOD) the BOD would make millions.

Blinded by the prospect of money. The only problem is Lattanzio doesn't have a huge bank account to play with. The money drained SPJA, and Perez was happy to let him do it. In the end, the gamble did not pay off... Lattanzio is gone, and SPJA is broke.

What next?
SyncLok

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
You *can not* take a non profit and turn it into a for profit company. It's illegal, and even trending in that direction gets the company some very hard looks from both state and federal regulators. In addition, the SPJA bylaws specifically state that the BoD directors are not paid, and the current bylaws were written and put into place by the very Board Directors who would supposedly be trying to be paid by going for-profit. ( http://www.spja.org/docs/spja_bylaws_rev582_ratified.pdf Article 4, Section 4.09 - Fees and Compensation)

Now, I can see how the BoD might have jumped at the chance of geting someone of Lattanzio's reported credentials to head up what had been (up to that point) a fairly non professionally run corporation.

But... One of the major areas where the BoD probably screwed up was that they weren't prepared to deal with the culture clash issues. These sprang from the difference between the way the SPJA/AX had been run (clubhouse/informal/adhoc/etc), and what Lattanzio would expect (rigidly structured, formal, top down) in corporate culture styles and general business practices. It's rather obvious in hindsight now if you think about it. The resulting massive cultural clash just exploded spectacularly into the public forums, as we've all been seeing for the past year.

What next? Well, we all get to see how the pieces get picked up. BoD elections happen within the next two weeks, and the entire current Board is up for re-election, along with several new candidates. It will be interesting to see how those shake out, and who, if any, of the current Directors get re-elected. After that, we'll have to wait and see how they start picking up the pieces and reorganize themselves and the con.
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
SyncLok wrote:
You *can not* take a non profit and turn it into a for profit company. It's illegal, and even trending in that direction gets the company some very hard looks from both state and federal regulators. In addition, the SPJA bylaws specifically state that the BoD directors are not paid, and the current bylaws were written and put into place by the very Board Directors who would supposedly be trying to be paid by going for-profit. ( http://www.spja.org/docs/spja_bylaws_rev582_ratified.pdf Article 4, Section 4.09 - Fees and Compensation)
An organization status is just how they file for taxes. Every year, SPJA has the opportunity to give up its nonprofit status and start paying taxes. Now, there might be some back-tax implications that may have to be paid off... but it is possible.

And just because the SPJA bylaws state that the org cannot/should not, does not mean that the bylaws cannot be changed. It has been changed numerous times in the past few years. With the BOD that is OK with giving up the most dedicated staff along with ousting former CEO Karahashi, I don't it being a large issue for them to make a couple more changes to the bylaws on its way to making profit.

Now - this is only my speculation of things to come. I make no claims to know what the BOD and Lattanzio was thinking or what plans they have.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:27 am Reply with quote
I don't think Expo's problems go back only 5 years or so. Then again, all cons have problems of some sort during their lifetimes, but...

AX has always been a heavily Industry-oriented convention. It's only been with the virtual collapse of the American industry in the last 3-4 years, that they have started adding fan-features other cons were known for for years. I haven't personally attended since 2005, but to that point it was always known more for being a hang-out con, than most of the activities they offered AT the con. Sans waiting in hours long lines for 1-2 Super-Guests you may wish to see.

I can't say that I'm surprised to see something like this, as AX always seemed the least fan-friendly convention I knew in the entire US. And it's not just a large con thing, because Otakon is one of the best fan-oriented cons and it is also very large. Even NYAF offers fan-run panels I believe...

Not only do you have this mis-use by the CEO of SPJA, you have that whole Exhibit Services fiasco from this year where the board unilaterally renegotiated the vendor contract. It caused vendors to have to pay 2-3x more for merchandise hauling into and out of the exhibit hall. Made it so a number of vendors either made no money, or far less, and numerous have decided not to attend next year...
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a lot of people with axes to grind all up in here.

I'm pretty sure what most of the people in this thread DON'T know about Lattanzio and the current state of the SPJA could just about fill the Grand Canyon. Rolling Eyes

There is some pretty ridiculous speculation and rumour-mongering being passed off as FACT.
Kamen Rider Black RX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Wow, a lot of people with axes to grind all up in here.

I'm pretty sure what most of the people in this thread DON'T know about Lattanzio and the current state of the SPJA could just about fill the Grand Canyon. Rolling Eyes

There is some pretty ridiculous speculation and rumour-mongering being passed off as FACT.

Wow. Another fan of Micheal Lattanzio & the SPJA.
crunchycat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
actually I did my info digging on Lattanzio and him causing problems for business started even before AX when he worked at the Santa Anita mall expansion, as well as talking to staffers, higher ups and even himself at one point.

Saying its rumors and hearsay is just trying to slide facts under a rug because no one will of course take responsibility for AX's failure this yr, not as the con in a whole but the debt, misuse of funds, oh and the Sophia incident which made me laugh
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
crunchycat wrote:
actually I did my info digging on Lattanzio and him causing problems for business started even before AX when he worked at the Santa Anita mall expansion, as well as talking to staffers, higher ups and even himself at one point.

And you have some sort of evidence of this? All I can find newsworthy on Lattanzio and the Santa Anita mall is that he worked on the expansion.

crunchycat wrote:
Saying its rumors and hearsay is just trying to slide facts under a rug because no one will of course take responsibility for AX's failure this yr, not as the con in a whole but the debt, misuse of funds, oh and the Sophia incident which made me laugh

I have yet to see one SINGLE shred of evidence of these purported facts you speak of. Please provide proof or links or something. Because until you DO, yes, you are just rumour-mongering.

And to the genius above (Kamen Rider Black RX) who somehow speculates that I love Lattanzio and the SPJA: hey guess what? You win the award for best words put in someone else's mouth. Congrats. Keep the dream alive.
Kamen Rider Black RX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And to the genius above (Kamen Rider Black RX) who somehow speculates that I love Lattanzio and the SPJA: hey guess what? You win the award for best words put in someone else's mouth. Congrats. Keep the dream alive.

Why thank you. I love awards especially from trolls.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Locked because people with personal interests are posting without divulging their personal interests.

These same people are in violation of our blatantly posted marketing rules, therefore we make no apologies for muzzling them on this topic even though it isn't in the rules.

If only everyone were more honest, like Brian -R, then we wouldn't have these problems.

-t
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2