• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Axis of Needles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel like reading 7 Billion Needles, its sounds like something I should have read by now.

And I should start to pick up DOGS again I can't believe I let it go after onemanga.com shut down, I should buy the manga instead.

And Thank you for the Reviews very helpful. (Not lying)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Does anyone know if they censored the material towards the end of Nakama's arc in Bokurano for the paperback release like they did on the Ikki website?

You'd need to check the volume, but my guess is that it was censored for the online version simply because... well, age-screening on sites is notoriously useless and it's best to play it safe, especially when it has such "childlike" art (the assumptions people make, I swear..._
Quote:
I mean, tons of American books (such as the Ratha series!) are written by people who were from different countries...

I suppose it depends on how you define "American;" I'm gonna assume "American company" and add Watchmen, the Sandman Chronicles, Transmetropolitan, Nextwave... it's called the Brit Wave.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Quote:
I mean, tons of American books (such as the Ratha series!) are written by people who were from different countries...

I suppose it depends on how you define "American;" I'm gonna assume "American company" and add Watchmen, the Sandman Chronicles, Transmetropolitan, Nextwave... it's called the Brit Wave.

Yup, that's what I mean. They're produced by an American company and aimed at an American audience, regardless of the author's nationality. I don't see why the same doesn't apply to other nations.
Ensof

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Does anyone know if they censored the material towards the end of Nakama's arc in Bokurano for the paperback release like they did on the Ikki website?

I don't know what the page numbers will be for the English version, but the scene where Nakama saves the classmate who's engaged in... err... intimate activities with an older man during the battle. It was pages 184-186 in the Japanese release. For the online version they lopped the bottom half off of a number of panels.

Anyone care to check?

I've just compared the pages you mention in Viz's print edition to the scanlations, and yes, Viz has cropped the panels. This is the second time a Kitoh title has been censored by an English-language publisher - Dark Horse did so as well in vol. 7 (which corresponds to vol. 6 of the Japanese editions) of Shadow Star/Narutaru.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
I know nothing of 7 Billion Needles except what I just read in the review. But from just that I was also getting a little bit of an Alien Nine (manga) vibe as well, which I liked BTW. Obviously the art design is totally different, I am talking more about the underlying story, which in Alien Nine's case despite the cutesy art is a very mature take about "co-existing"* with alien lifeforms. Anyway if anyone that is familiar with Needles would confirm at least a basic similarity that would be great, and will probably pick this up. Though I am kinda interested anyway.

*I know that anyone who has read the brutal tragedy that is Alien Nine and understood it, probably knows that co-existing probably isn't the correct word to be using. But my brain hurts right now so I am sticking with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:43 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I know nothing of 7 Billion Needles except what I just read in the review. But from just that I was also getting a little bit of an Alien Nine (manga) vibe as well, which I liked BTW. Obviously the art design is totally different, I am talking more about the underlying story, which in Alien Nine's case despite the cutesy art is a very mature take about "co-existing"* with alien lifeforms. Anyway if anyone that is familiar with Needles would confirm at least a basic similarity that would be great, and will probably pick this up. Though I am kinda interested anyway.

*I know that anyone who has read the brutal tragedy that is Alien Nine and understood it, probably knows that co-existing probably isn't the correct word to be using. But my brain hurts right now so I am sticking with it.

Probably looking for the word "Symbiotic", meaning each gets and gives to the relationship. I only saw the Alien 9 anime, which was in my opinion too short. Was the manga any better?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Probably looking for the word "Symbiotic", meaning each gets and gives to the relationship. I only saw the Alien 9 anime, which was in my opinion too short. Was the manga any better?

Is it better? Man, that is such difficult question for me. Why? The anime is probably better at telling the story, and the way it is told is almost perfect. What's the catch? The ending of the animespoiler[when the girl dies], its almost the halfway point of the manga, and the exact point where the manga turns from weird and cute to dark and gut-wrenching. If the anime where the whole story, simply because of the complexity, I would no doubt prefer it over the manga. Why the anime was never made to completion, I don't know. The manga is only 3 volumes long. 4 if you count Emulators. To be honest knowing the whole story makes the anime better. However, it's also a huge disappointment because the whole story isn't there, and the way the anime is as it exists is pretty much a perfect intro to the story.

Alien Nine the anime is frustrating to the max for me. Because it is so good but stops halfway into the story. If the whole story were animated it would probably be among the top rated anime out there. As it is now it just randomly ends, simply because they didn't tell the whole story. Which is a shame because the switch from cute to dark was handled very well in the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Deleted post

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm nearly done with Bokurano anime. I remember a couple years back there was a debate here about how the anime drastically changed things from the manga, and how the ending was especially loathed for being spoiler[conveniently Deus Ex Machina, since the kids supposedly come back to life in the last episode while the manga kept them dead]. I might get the manga once I'm finished so I can see what these differences are.

Woah, woah, woah. Where did you hear that? That's not what I saw (and I wouldn't have loved the anime so much if that had happened). I know that the anime is toned down from the manga (the stories are more disturbing supposedly in the manga). And the last third is different, but there is no spoiler[Deux Ex Machina.] So don't believe any of it.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:42 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Alien Nine the anime is frustrating to the max for me. Because it is so good but stops halfway into the story. If the whole story were animated it would probably be among the top rated anime out there. As it is now it just randomly ends, simply because they didn't tell the whole story. Which is a shame because the switch from cute to dark was handled very well in the anime.

Hmmm, Now I need to track down the Alien 9 Manga. Was it just one volume?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Hmmm, Now I need to track down the Alien 9 Manga. Was it just one volume?

It's three volumes (plus a one-volume spin-off called Alien Nine Emulators that I haven't managed to get hold of yet).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Woah, woah, woah. Where did you hear that? That's not what I saw (and I wouldn't have loved the anime so much if that had happened). I know that the anime is toned down from the manga (the stories are more disturbing supposedly in the manga). And the last third is different, but there is no spoiler[Deux Ex Machina.] So don't believe any of it.

As I said, it was here some years ago. I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep reading (because I wasn't certain I'd ever actually watch the show) but that's what I saw being posted. Of course, if you're speaking from experience, then forget my previous statement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2