• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiddtic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
I found this episode HEAVY on the "fanservice" and I liked it with all sorts of memes being used. Its really an otaku-show.

They left it open for a sequel and im not too certain at this point wether I would like that or not. I would however like to see how the characters ineteract in the near future spoiler[Kuroneko saying she might be calling kyousuke something different in the near future hinted at a possible love interest and with manami and Kirino still on the roster, its lining up for a comedy harem of some sort]

while its not the deepest anime iv ever seen I certainly enjoyed it a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
Seems to me like episode 12 hinted at there being another season. First, when spoiler[Kirino was on the phone with Kuroneko bitching about Kuroneko calling Kyosuke "Nii-san", and Kuroneko replies that she'll be calling him something else pretty soon. Unless I missed some other hidden meaning in that, I took it as there was more story to come.]

Also at the end spoiler[when Kirino tells an overly eager Kyosuke that life counseling is not over yet.]

Now for episode 12 itself I laughed pretty hard at the whole homo thing, but that's the only part I really liked(other than Kuroneko dancing around and acting like a cat at the end). I believe this episode had about 48 seconds combined of Saori, Kuroneko, and Manami and that's not a good thing for Oreimo. By episode 12, they should have learned who the bread and butter of this show was. Seriously was anybody tuning in for the weekly berating of a whimpering Kyosuke by Kirino? The whole America mini-plot was lame and we all knew how it would turn out.

All that aside, if they do make another season I know I'll tune in every week to watch. Gotta get my Kuroneko fix!
Metaflux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Kleisthenes wrote:
Yes Kirino is abrasive and spoiled. But think about her in the earlier episodes when she asks for help from her brother or when she has trouble making friends at that otaku meetup. That kind of vulnerability is endearing, I think, and just make her an insecure, immature, and slightly confused 14 year old girl.

I enjoyed those few, very rare moments. However, I firmly believe in treating others well, and she's quite simply a mean little girl. She's mean to her otaku friends, her brother, and Manami. Anyone who isn't cool enough, she's cruel to. That is not something I can relate to, nor can I enjoy. But thank you for reminding me of those scenes, I really enjoyed those moments of weakness that she showed early on, especially at the first meet up. She didn't know what to do, and it added a layer to her character. Unfortunately, that layer drifted away as the focus turned more on her being mean and siscon-crazed. Those were moments that made the series worth watching, much like Kuroneko with her sister.

Well not all characters are created for the audience to like. Remember that Kirino is a 14 year old "prep girl" so of course she is going to be condescending to people around her. I'm young enough to remember middle school and from what I recall there aren't that many mature, well-developed 14 year old teenage girls especially the popular ones. Not saying they're not out there but I think her actions and behavior fit the profile for the most part.

Regarding episode 11 I have to agree with the consensus here because I had to re-watch the episode like three times to figure out what exactly was going on. Things did jump around a lot and I felt like the episode was sorta out of place for a number of reasons. Also people saying this episode had a lot of "fan service" to me, is quite an overstatement. Really the whole series (and this is just my opinion) had very little "fan service" and people just need to pull the stick outta there ass. From what I recall there wasn't even one boob exposed so anyone saying this series was heavy needs to chill out. The way I see it just because there are suggestive themes sprinkled throughout a show doesn't make it automatically count as "fan service". To me if done in a tactful way it can add favor to the program. Also sometimes seeing some curves is the author's way of showing a human body's beauty, not necessarily just to make it sexual.

Now this is just my opinion but to give you an example: In rumbling hearts there were a few sex scenes where indeed some boob shots are shown. To me it added to the overall atmosphere of that particular scene, the erotic pleasure of two people making love. Something that is not only romantic, but exciting and adventurous as well for young lovers. Having the beasts was in my opinion an appropriate choice to the overall atmosphere of what both partners were experiencing. Basically the breast exposure had a purpose in telling the story more specifically those particular sex scenes.

On the contrary Yosuga no Sora in my opinion was utilizing what we call "fan service". I feel this way because I to me it was over done a little. The sexual exposure was added to please the viewers more so than anything else, and it is quite obvious.
vastoceans

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I was among this shows biggest haters and detractors around the time episode 5 hit and we were treated to Ayase going full-on Nina from Geass mode because it really had been - at least - an enjoyable series up until that point. Decided to wait & marathon upon completion and am overall pleasantly surprised. At least in the fact that it didn't spiral downwards and devolve into some emofest following Ayase-gate.

It's not a fantastic show, but it was enjoyable enough for me to give a good or very good rating. Hell, even Sora no Otoshimono averages a very good. Yeck. As for believability in the plot devices - I can see how the novel model/writing/anime adaptation and star athlete seemed unbelievable... but really, what medium are we talking about here? Most anime is unbelievable or at least has unbelievable elements. I don't really see a problem with it myself. Additionally, had she been just a normal girl, the closet otaku element wouldn't have been such a stark contrast and the already weak premise for the story would have crumbled to hell.

My biggest complaint aside from underused side characters is a lack of any history for any of the characters and their relationships. It seemed like a weird choice to imply that Kirino and her brother may have feelings for each other (whether romantic or platonic we are not let in on) that they are unable to show and yet we are given no glimpse or even hint at their past and the reasons they feel/act the way they do. Kuroneko is envious of the book and anime adaptation and we get a one minute speech from her explaining why, which really lacks the emotional depth it could have been given if treated properly. Even the awful Ayase personality could have been put into perspective had there actually been a reason for her to hate otakuism and liars so fervently. It's as if the entire universe was created @ episode one. And really, what was in that album? Was it pictures of Kirino and Kyosuke together when they were younger? Another missed chance in my opinion... what's the point of a whole album if we've only got one picture of Kirino and a plane ticket to America? Overusing flashbacks can be a setback, but not using them at all made the characters feel a bit hollow.

Kirino's change toward the end of the series was nice, but a little too rushed (whether due to the 12 episode length, poor writing or both). Kuroneko was adorable and made me appreciate Kana Hanazawa even more. Saori was underused and the childhood friend seemed to be lacking any personality.

It feels like this first 12 episodes could serve as a base for an even better show but I guess we'll see if that ever pans out. Could have been much better. Would purchase, would watch again.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I marathoned this anime just to finish it, but now I can finally say what I feel about this show.

Episode 8 - This episode was pretty good, possibly the last of the good episodes. If this is what really goes down in Japan, then it's no wonder Naruto and Bleach have so much ****ing filler.

Episode 9 - This episode just didn't give me the impression to watch this show at all. Are all people who play eroge like Kirini? And wait, she gets off on sisters being cute? Is she lesbian, or again, is it something only otaku would understand?!

Episode 10 - An episode about making up to your otaku friends by cosplaying in a contest. I'm also just going to take a wild guess and say that this episode tried to strengthen the stereotype that only middle-aged guys like to watch animes about little girls. Also, it seems this anime likes to bring in tsundere b*tches.

Episode 11 - Here is where I just wanted to slap the living hell out of Kirini. Why is Kyosuke such a p*ssbag? Everyone agreed in episode 8 that Kirini needed to be knocked down a peg or two (honestly, I though it should've been way sooner than 8) so why not?! You're way OLDER than her!

Episode 12 - Yeah, this episode was made just to finish the show. What was the point of bringing up that spoiler[Kirini was supposed to leave for America] if spoiler[she never goes]?! I do like the ending though. It really does set up for another season.

Overall, this show was alright but nothing i'm going to remember in the next couple of years. But I really applaud them for not going the desperate route and giving us 14-year-old fanservice. Kirini won't be one of my favorite female character's anytime soon, but I guess it's just my hate for Tsundere's. Though while I really don't think that's the case, i'm just going to throw my two cents in and give Ore no Imouto...

3 underaged girls out of 5.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Metaflux wrote:
Mylene wrote:

I enjoyed those few, very rare moments. However, I firmly believe in treating others well, and she's quite simply a mean little girl. She's mean to her otaku friends, her brother, and Manami. Anyone who isn't cool enough, she's cruel to. That is not something I can relate to, nor can I enjoy. But thank you for reminding me of those scenes, I really enjoyed those moments of weakness that she showed early on, especially at the first meet up. She didn't know what to do, and it added a layer to her character. Unfortunately, that layer drifted away as the focus turned more on her being mean and siscon-crazed. Those were moments that made the series worth watching, much like Kuroneko with her sister.

Well not all characters are created for the audience to like.

I didn't say they were. Someone asked why Kirino couldn't be relatable. Since I do not relate to cruelty, I cannot relate to Kirino except in the few scenes mentioned. I can't relate to any of the characters for that matter, but that wasn't the discussion.
Kleisthenes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I just finished watching episode 12. I enjoyed it for the most part, though the fight between Kyousuke and Kirino got a little schmaltzy for me, but generally I didn't think they overdid the reconciliation. More importantly, however, the show skipped the important part of the series--character development! We got the starting and ending points, but not enough in between. That was the point of the show, to watch Kirino and Kyousuke's relationship develop. (I'm sorry, those who say the show would have been improved by increasing the role of supporting characters are missing the point, in my opinion--enjoyable though those characters were.) I was glad to see a change in Kirino's attitude in this episode, but we never really got to see her develop to that point. She just had a change of heart starting in episode 11, as many people have pointed out.

Along those lines, I firmly believe they made a mistake by ignoring the incestuous tension in their relationship. That was part of what made the show interesting, and without that, it's just navel gazing at its most extreme. Kirino's...confusion toward her brother (and maybe his towards her to a lesser extent?) was the obvious roadblock on the way to a healthy relationship between the two and should have been brought out into the open in some way. From now on, is Kirino going to stop teasing and tormenting her brother (beyond what's expected between siblings) or getting jealous when he so much as looks at another girl? There's not much in the conclusion to make me think so.

Frustrating. It could have been much better. I generally thought the dialogue was good, the fanservice wasn't overdone, the humor worked most of the time, and I liked Kyousuke, the supporting cast (sans Manami), and didn't mind Kirino. I'd give it 3.5/5.

Last edited by Kleisthenes on Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:48 am; edited 2 times in total
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
I just marathoned 1-12 and i gotta say I really enjoyed the whole thing. I laughed when Kirino said "Gross Otaku from ten years ago" That fits me. Heh. It definitely needs another 12 episodes. I didn't lose interest like so many of these other series. I'll talk about the "good end" once ANN releases it. I couldn't wait.

I got to go back and check out Toradora now. I didn't like it when it first aired but I think I'm in the mood now.

I haven't felt this obsessed in a long time. Damn.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
I agree with Hentai_JP's comments. It was bad yet fun at times plus it was fun talking about it on the forums. I'd probably give it a so-so at the moment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
Ok I watched the last episode on christmas (a little present to myself), well my complaints for the finaly or more specificaly the whole thing would be that it gave into leaving vague for the hopes of another season. It was like the whole thing did not want to actually focus on the characters growing too much or seeing too much emotional turmoil so they could extend it.

Most of the time the only real emotional growing was only the effect of problems that we did not focus on: Kirino's past with Kyousuke, Kirino becoming appoligetic all of a sudden, Kirino being so perfect she sudenly chooses track over everything else and most of what side characters did behind the scenes. Actually some of the better scenes I would say were of side characters and their lives, yet Manami's family got one episode towards the end and one tiny flash in the last episode and Kuroneko's was only done towards the end (did we ever find out her name is Ruri?).

Too much Tsun from Kirino, unexplained litle Dere, main character takes too much cr@p, and under-apreciated briliant side characters, plus Ayase's flipping. Otaku jokes have been done better, animation was not a turn off, it did not pull anything brilliant but was generally pleasent. Still I found it a good watch, may be that I am a fan of cute stuff mixed in. Kind of reminded me of Working!!, Nogizaka Haruka, Seitokai no Ichizon, though did not really have what made them special, instead having a character who could be bitchier then Haruhi Suzumiya without her playfull side, instead having a creepier side and hypocrit. But the series did get me into Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha which I enjoyed much more, but did add a bit of fun to one of Kirino's friends and hobby.

Well I liked it, but I probably blame some bad decisions with makeing this, shame really, but may be worth a rewatch some time. I heard word of a remake of this episode, so I assume the end choice would be different, and a few extra episodes. My hope for these are that they might turn out to be like alternate endings where Kyousuke might end up with a different girl, might be done for a bit of fun kind of like the animes Clannad, Yosuga no Sora and Amagami.
Memington

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't post here, but I just had to for this...
The... plot summary that ANN has for it...... is.....
missing something.... to say the least.

And yeah, its up there in the themes, but I missed that. And it was... unexpected.

However, i enjoyed it.
Not in a creepy way, it was just really sweet.

Last edited by Memington on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Berserkenstein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I thought I'd watch just one anime before going to sleep and so I decided to watch this one... I ended up watching ALL 12 EPISODES!

¬_¬

The series got funnier the more episodes I watched and I really liked the hybrid Haruhi/Konata type sister.

Also, I got a meganekko-thing and the series had a really nice one Very Happy

Ok, now I must sleep!
Memington

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Berserkenstein wrote:
I thought I'd watch just one anime before going to sleep and so I decided to watch this one... I ended up watching ALL 12 EPISODES!

Literally same thing happened to me! Very Happy
I was like, "Eh, its 11:30. I'll watch 2 or 3 episodes then go to bed."
I was up until 5am. And I didn't regret it.
GazuliGod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I really loved this anime, watched it from the beginning, from what i heard the dvds are coming with 2 OVA eps (Cant really rely on my for this info, go confirm it) Go read the manga/novel (whatever its supposed to be), theres a of development, the anime was good, but if they leave it hanging like this it wont do the manga/novel justice.

can someone look at my anime list and suggest me some anime based on what I've watched and my ratings, mainly looking for romance comedy anime, possibly school related, something like the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya, Clannad, or shuffle!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
GazuliGod wrote:
can someone look at my anime list and suggest me some anime based on what I've watched and my ratings, mainly looking for romance comedy anime, possibly school related, something like the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya, Clannad, or shuffle!
Asking for a reccomendation is bound to set the mods on you, it is a good idea to use the genre search on this site to find series with simular gemre and themes. search But you said Haruhi and Clannad, I will chuck you a bone with Kanon 2006.

I am looking forward to what these ova are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 56