• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
As if spoiler[people can agree to turn off emotions like a faucet in advance]. I had no particular pairing preference, but I argue that part of the ending's subtext is that spoiler[Kyousuke and Kirino deluded themselves under intense social pressure]. In a sense, it was Koi Kaze's ending in reverse, but like that ending, spoiler[the pair will not get what they're expecting].

I suspect that months or years from now an OAV epilogue will tell more of the tale, and even a 2nd one will offer yet another alternate timeline. The cow will still have milk in any case.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I've previously defend this work as it was a satire on the bro-sis incest stuff as she's not that cute.

My apologies, but it seems to me that your disappointment stems from failing to understand the basic premise of the show. Oreimo has never been satire. Oreimo has always been exactly what it says on the tin: An incest love comedy. It seems you, like many others, mistook Oreimo's coy sense of humor and genre savvy characters for a rebuke of the genre it is in fact a core part of, and in doing so developed extremely false expectations of what was to follow. As a huge fan of this series in both animated and light novel form, it is not so much the ending that I find surprising than the idea that people thought any other ending was possible!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
As a huge fan of this series in both animated and light novel form, it is not so much the ending that I find surprising than the idea that people thought any other ending was possible!

I have never been a fan of this series at all, but I now that I have watched it, I might share some of my thoughts of it.

spoiler[During the time I watched first season, I didn't think this series would need an ending, in which Kyosuke "ends up" with some character, i.e. I didn't think it was about romance at all. One of the main reasons I thought like this was Manami. I thought the reason for her existence as a character is that she is Kyosuke's eventual love interest and that is why the series doesn't have to focus on romance. I also hoped the author would have some interesting ideas to convey about the connection between siblings.

Boy, was I wrong.

I have nothing against consensual incest, but I still am one of those people, who think that the writing of the series leaves a lot to be desired. One thing is that all in all, Manami was a pointless character and the series would have been the same without her.]
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, I think a lot of the complaints I'm seeing stem from that same stumbling block of many a light novel adaptation, the need to cram far too much story into far too few episodes without turning the whole thing into seven hours of exposition.

Like a lot of characters, Manani has a lot more scenes in the light novel which more strongly establish her role. Unfortunately, we only got 15 hours or so to tell 12 novels worth of story, so instead of really getting to know what Manami is all about, all we got was daaaawwh feature episode in the first season, Kirino's flashback and her part in the finale. The same can be said about complaints about Kyosuke spoiler[seeming to suddenly like Kirino], or this or that character making no sense. It's all there in page after page of the light novels, but it only bares a passing mention in the anime.

Ultimately, with a limited amount of episodes, the story gets cut to bare-bones so the animators can play up the fan service, comedy, and major scenes that push Blu-Ray sales. For the Japanese audience, I'm sure this is much less of a big deal, since they have relatively easy access to the light novels and likely read about the events episodes 14-16 a month ago. It's pretty frustrating as an American fan with no ready or reliable source for the published story to be stuck with what is often more of a highlight reel for a story you can't easily got to read in its entirety.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard people talking about how the ending was going to upset everybody, I ended up thinking what would be my preferred ending for the series and came to the conclusion it would be spoiler[Kirino and Kyousuke hooking up, only to break it off later when they realized they were better as siblings than lovers]. I was quite surprised how closely I hit the mark, but boy does the reasoning feel like a copout. Really, if you're not going to spoiler[even do anything], don't bother in the first place! Ending things after spoiler[the fight with Manami] would've been a thousand times better - fine, give us a narration stating spoiler[they ended up breaking up and becoming normal siblings], but don't just spoiler[render the whole damn arc pointless]!

NB: Above to be read head-in-hands, not raging at screen.
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The three ending specials were infuriating (which I prefer over boring, but still).

spoiler[Glad that there was at least one sane person in the form of Manami. She became an instant favorite of mine after her speech, although she was a bland character throughout the rest of the series. Her rant on their incestuous relationship were the things I wanted to say. Glad that she lost to Kirino since she deserves a better man. The same accounts for Ayase and Kuroneko. Heck, even Kirino deserves someone better than that loser of a brother.

I was wondering if the writer intended for a deeper message like how two souls are meant for each other despite being brother and sister or choosing happiness which goes against societal and cultural norms. Or is it just a silly harem romcom that should not be taken serious?
]
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I believe the correct answer to your spoilered question is "both".

Sometimes, you can say something serious, without being serious.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I’ve always perceived any medium that can immerse you to the point of yelling “WTF Just Happened!!” to be a positive attribute. That being said, I’m still mulling over how I feel about the ending in my head. My initial reaction to the scene that took place in the church was to rewind the video and to make sure I actually heard the characters correctly because I was so flabbergasted at what I had just heard. Of all the possible outcomes for this series, this ending certainly was not one I had imagined, so in that respects I was pleased that I wasn’t easily able to predict the how final outcome would play out. On the other hand, the likelihood of those events playing out in that fashion, though not impossible, is certainly teetering at the absolute limit. However, at this point I’m being a hypocrite because I have already overlooked several plot points that have little basis in my preconceived notions of realism.

I guess my reaction has a lot to do with sour grapes over my ideal notion of what constitutes a good ending not playing out and the notion that I could not fathom how Kirino and Kyousuke could come up with such a plan. Then again, a lot of this series focuses on trying to show the viewer how choices and ideas, while right for a small group of individuals, are unfathomable, strange, or dumb to the rest of us; the theme of incest being the main proponent of this idea.

I still need to collect my thoughts, but right now I both hate the ending and enjoy it at some level.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
VORTIA wrote:
As a huge fan of this series in both animated and light novel form, it is not so much the ending that I find surprising than the idea that people thought any other ending was possible!

I have never been a fan of this series at all, but I now that I have watched it, I might share some of my thoughts of it.

spoiler[During the time I watched first season, I didn't think this series would need an ending, in which Kyosuke "ends up" with some character, i.e. I didn't think it was about romance at all. One of the main reasons I thought like this was Manami. I thought the reason for her existence as a character is that she is Kyosuke's eventual love interest and that is why the series doesn't have to focus on romance. I also hoped the author would have some interesting ideas to convey about the connection between siblings.

Boy, was I wrong.

I have nothing against consensual incest, but I still am one of those people, who think that the writing of the series leaves a lot to be desired. One thing is that all in all, Manami was a pointless character and the series would have been the same without her.]

BBBBZZZTTT wrong manami was the one that started all of this. I'll use spoiler tags to keep people happy.

spoiler[Do you recall manami telling kirino that her love and admiration for her older brother was disgusting?? That kirino could never have him no matter what?? If so kirino was only 12yrs old and in the 6th grade, keep in mind this was platonic love. Every child goes that growing up and it's perfectly healthy, they will grow out of it over time.

Manmai went out of her way to treat her best friends sister like sh** so she could have him all to herself. She didn't even want kirino to have any kind of relationship with kyoukse because manami was that damn jealous of that. In short manami set into motion, drove kirino down this path.

Another thing pops up why do you think all of those girls where willing to kelp kyoukse while he was moved away in the small apartment?? Ayase i could understand but who do you think really gave her that extra key?? Why do you think kanako suddently started to like him and wanted to cook for kyouske, manami planned all of this out to keep kirino away. Her character has severed a huge purpose as the antagonist to the damn series.

however as for kyouske being a bone-head it can't be helped.]

Phew now that's off my chest i feel a tad better please keep in mind I still don't like the ending despite knowing all of this. Now if you will excuse me I'm off to play the psp vn. It is getting a fan translation as we speak so pm for more details~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

BBBBZZZTTT wrong manami was the one that started all of this. I'll use spoiler tags to keep people happy.

spoiler[Do you recall manami telling kirino that her love and admiration for her older brother was disgusting?? That kirino could never have him no matter what?? If so kirino was only 12yrs old and in the 6th grade, keep in mind this was platonic love. Every child goes that growing up and it's perfectly healthy, they will grow out of it over time.

Manmai went out of her way to treat her best friends sister like sh** so she could have him all to herself. She didn't even want kirino to have any kind of relationship with kyoukse because manami was that damn jealous of that. In short manami set into motion, drove kirino down this path.

Another thing pops up why do you think all of those girls where willing to kelp kyoukse while he was moved away in the small apartment?? Ayase i could understand but who do you think really gave her that extra key?? Why do you think kanako suddently started to like him and wanted to cook for kyouske, manami planned all of this out to keep kirino away. Her character has severed a huge purpose as the antagonist to the damn series.

however as for kyouske being a bone-head it can't be helped.]

Phew now that's off my chest i feel a tad better please keep in mind I still don't like the ending despite knowing all of this. Now if you will excuse me I'm off to play the psp vn. It is getting a fan translation as we speak so pm for more details~

Wow I never thought of it like that. Now that I think about it, Kirino's spoiler[love for her brother was like any other younger sister doting over an older sibling. She would have outgrown that love. But Manami ruined everything! ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Looking over what Manami did, it becomes clear that spoiler[she knew Kirino was a threat to Kyousuke's affections for some time. And you see that she set Ayase and Kanako up to getting close to Kyousuke so that she would sabotage the feelings by giving Kyousuke say other options. While I don't quite think it bad, it certainly is manipulative.]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
that's exactly what Cecilthedarkknight_234 said
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to summarize it in a short couple of sentence that explained something that came to my attention yesterday, and explained motivation. And I am not quite sold on the idea that spoiler[Kirino's feelings only grew from being told "no"].
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I just wanted to summarize it in a short couple of sentence that explained something that came to my attention yesterday, and explained motivation. And I am not quite sold on the idea that spoiler[Kirino's feelings only grew from being told "no"].

It wasn't fleshed out as much,spoiler[ manami messed her head and took away her older brother she admired to mold him into the guy she wanted, which was plain and boring. It's not about being told no you can't love him, it's about being a cruel manipulative b**** that wanted things her way. That's why kirino grew to be an otaku and started to like those type of games because she had no-one else she could talk to it about and needed an outlet, which only made it worse overtime. ]

I still do not like how the series ended but that's what happened, the series is over and I've done my best to explain it. There are plenty of people mad of over this but I want to state one thing, to me it feels like the author had change of heart and decided to go all out for an incest ending towards the end.

Who really knows, I might be wrong or right it's just all speculation and @VORTIA you can not honestly tell me the early light novels around vol 1-4 this was to be expected. Not even may Japanese fans saw this one coming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Who really knows, I might be wrong or right it's just all speculation and @VORTIA you can not honestly tell me the early light novels around vol 1-4 this was to be expected. Not even may Japanese fans saw this one coming.

Actually, I can! The early scenes in Vol.1 of the light novels between Kirino and Kyosuke oozed so much sexual tension they both might have drowned in it! If you would have said to me at the end of reading Vol. 1 he wasn't going to end up with his sister I'd have told you you're daft! Honestly, I don't think it was until Kuroneko started getting such a strong push from anime fans that another possibility was even considered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 53 of 56