• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Still don't like incest....but the show was a fun ride.
The emotional scenes make it stand out for me.
Poor Kuroneko though. Sad

Well, there was no spoiler[incest] so there's that, which wasn't, which is the problem {"What happened?" spoiler["Nothing."] Which is my original complaint of the ending though I don't know why it took so long for other people to figure it out. TVTropes was all over the ending and painted it as an spoiler[OTP] definite ending, no questions asked but we all should know how they misfunction by now}. But if you're talking about your own life then that's normal, I guess?

Ruri. Yeah, I always forget that's Kuroneko's real name. Dresses in black, black hair, has a cat thing going on, Ruri, yeah, no, not at all. Kuroneko.

Anyway, she was the top supporter of the "bad ending" relationship, going so far to ruin what they should have had so "poor Kuroneko" is hardly correct; Stupid Cat is more like it. I mean Bakaneko.

And the Oreimo game ending? Really? I'm always in favor of contextually correct endings and if the ending calls for "incest" then .. yeah... but just, wow. It's like spoiler[having your cake and being socially acceptable too.]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Noctis313 wrote:
how the kirino route ends in the game?

well I can spoil it for you if want me to.

spoiler[It turns out they are first cousins instead of blood related brother sister do get permission to get married from their parents and have kids x amount of years later.]

Dammit, WHY DIDN'T THE ORIGINAL WORK DO THIS!?

Fushimi: Because incest is wincest!!

............ughhhhhh lol
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Dammit, WHY DIDN'T THE ORIGINAL WORK DO THIS!?

Fushimi: Because incest is wincest!!

............ughhhhhh lol

Yeah, but as an author, do you want to be known for taking the same cop out ending as everyone who came before, or for doing something different and controversial? Love it or hate it, people will probably talk about this ending for years to come.

There's a loud minority in the otakusphere who have been complaining about that trope for a good while too.

I'm a fan of forbidden love stories, so whether or not they are actually related doesn't really matter to me, but I could understand how some could see it as a complete trivialization of the dramatic tension that preceded the revelation.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Yeah, but as an author, do you want to be known for taking the same cop out ending as everyone who came before, or for doing something different and controversial?

Different and controversial.
ALWAYS. Anime hyper

You have a point. Such an ending really stands out. It's like....taste-wise...I'm not sure if I like it much...but I commend the author for having the balls to do something this bold. lol So it's like....I both dislike it and like it. I can't choose one side or the other!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Yeah, but as an author, do you want to be known for taking the same cop out ending as everyone who came before, or for doing something different and controversial? Love it or hate it, people will probably talk about this ending for years to come.

But it wasn't 'different and controversial'. It was the same ol' inconclusive endings that harems typically get. No girl 'won' in the end because the author didn't have the balls.

If you want to see something with a 'different and controversial' then read or watch Koi Kaze. Granted, that is actually a very mature character study and not some shoddily written otaku pandering harem tripe light novel, so it's not just the ending that is far better than Oreimo's.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

But it wasn't 'different and controversial'. It was the same ol' inconclusive endings that harems typically get. No girl 'won' in the end because the author didn't have the balls.

If you want to see something with a 'different and controversial' then read or watch Koi Kaze. Granted, that is actually a very mature character study and not some shoddily written otaku pandering harem tripe light novel, so it's not just the ending that is far better than Oreimo's.

I hate bring this series up again what about YNS??? That anime to me yes with harem aspects still felt like it played out this angel better than oreimo could ever hope to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Yosuga no Sora was a boring omnibus VN adaptation that is only marginally popular because it showed varied degrees of sexual activity.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

How many people actually watched Koi Kaze? How many more people are talking about this? That's my point.

Also, this was hardly the typical "romantic hijinks forever, resolve with your own OTP" love comedy ending. It was a spoiler[sink every ship with a cruise missile, spell out an incestuous romance and let you decide whether it goes further] ending. As far as I know, that's never been done before.

The author said his goal was to spoiler[to provide Kirino the best end possible. That wouldn't be an end where her and Kyosuke run away to start their lives over. It's an end where she can have her brother and her friends as well.]
Seems unique enough to me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
How many people actually watched Koi Kaze? How many more people are talking about this? That's my point.

I'm afraid I don't see your point. This may be argumentum ad populum, but I don't want to hastily characterize it as that if you were making another point.

VORTIA wrote:
Also, this was hardly the typical "romantic hijinks forever, resolve with your own OTP" love comedy ending. It was a spoiler[sink every ship with a cruise missile, spell out an incestuous romance and let you decide whether it goes further] ending. As far as I know, that's never been done before.

The author said his goal was to spoiler[to provide Kirino the best end possible. That wouldn't be an end where her and Kyosuke run away to start their lives over. It's an end where she can have her brother and her friends as well].

But if the viewer can "spoiler[decide whether it goes further]", and the viewer indeed decides that spoiler[it goes further], then would that not preclude the "spoiler[end where she can have her brother and her friends as well]?

Possible out: spoiler[Kirino's friends accept an incestuous relationship, per the van sequence of episode 14 where they appear supportive, though of which level of relationship is open to question].
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

I'm afraid I don't see your point. This may be argumentum ad populum, but I don't want to hastily characterize it as that if you were making another point.

My apologies if I was unclear here. My point was that Koi Kaze essentially told us from the beginning they would be telling a serious incest story. This direct approach generated a small, self-selecting audience.

Oreimo didn't do that, and instead opted for a more lighthearted story that appealled to a much wider audience, many of which, it seems, had no idea what they just signed on for. That's by no means a swipe at Koi Kaze or even an attempt to compare the quality of the two series, but they are two very different stories with two very different outcomes, and that's very clear by the way Oreimo's viewership is both wider and finds the ending more controversial.

Quote:

VORTIA wrote:

The author said his goal was to spoiler[to provide Kirino the best end possible. That wouldn't be an end where her and Kyosuke run away to start their lives over. It's an end where she can have her brother and her friends as well].

But if the viewer can "spoiler[decide whether it goes further]", and the viewer indeed decides that spoiler[it goes further], then would that not preclude the "spoiler[end where she can have her brother and her friends as well]?

Possible out: spoiler[Kirino's friends accept an incestuous relationship, per the van sequence of episode 14 where they appear supportive, though of which level of relationship is open to question].

spoiler[In keeping their relationship under wraps, Kirino and Kyosuke aren't having to flee to the ends of the Earth to be together. Kirino can graduate high school normally, and at least some of their friends seem okay with them even knowing the truth (Ruri, Sena, Mikagami, Saori).]

Either way, that's quite a bit different from Koi Kaze (thus "original") and was presented to a much larger and somewhat unsuspecting fan base (thus "controversial").
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Okay, you've satisfied a great many of my questions. Now I have one more.

VORTIA wrote:
Either way, that's quite a bit different from Koi Kaze (thus "original") and was presented to a much larger and somewhat unsuspecting fan base (thus "controversial").

Was Oreimo responding to Koi Kaze in any way? Besides the bro-sis love theme, nearly everything about the shows are fundamentally different; plot, characterization, and genre to name a few. If it was responding to any incest-theme titles, they would have been imouto eroge ones, not a drama like Koi Kaze. If it's original because of its response to other titles, then those other titles have very definite player-selected endings while Oreimo's is more ambiguous (assuming we think of Kyousuke as the "player character").
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't the one that brought up Koi Kaze, Megiddo did when he essentially stated that "Oreimo isn't original or contraversial because Koi Kaze did it first."
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

........I don't know what anime YOU watched..... Razz Because in the one I watched, it was a clear sister route...that had to only be implied because publishers and anime staff are very strict about this stuff.

Really, anyone who's insisting Kirino didn't win is kidding themselves. I was not really cheering for her...but I don't deny the girl won and I don't deny that Kyousuke CLEARLY chose her as the person he loves most.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

........I don't know what anime YOU watched..... Razz Because in the one I watched, it was a clear sister route...that had to only be implied because publishers and anime staff are very strict about this stuff.

Really, anyone who's insisting Kirino didn't win is kidding themselves. I was not really cheering for her...but I don't deny the girl won and I don't deny that Kyousuke CLEARLY chose her as the person he loves most.

I don't know if there is any winner. I Kyousuke dated two girls for like 1 month each. Atleast the end, he gets nothing. I think only Kirino gets what she wanted. I guess she is the winner. He should pick Ayase.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote
Well, that was gay. What was maddening about it for me is that at first I was pissed because I'm a Kuroneko shipper and then I was slowly, slowly coming to accept the idea ... and then the cop-out. What a complete waste of time.

Well, I don't care what the actual material indicates, because in my mind, spoiler[Kirino was riding his face like a bucking bronco every single night.]

Fear not, Kuroneko, I will marry you!!!

Oh and a big thank you to all you original source assmunches who, even though you didn't specifically say what the ending would be, let us know exactly what the ending would be with your unsubtle hints. If I hadn't known that going in, I would have shit my drawers at the end of episode 14 instead of having the far less satisfying feeling of, "huh, so they really are going to do this." I hope you all get cancer of the dick and it falls off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 56