• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GLORIOUS RETURN: Oreimo #1-4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

The black bars were not ideal, but trust me on this one - trying to read those lines without them on certain monitors was positively blinding.

Can it really be worse than the situation in these two examples (http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww278/einhorn303/s1.jpg), from CrunchyRoll's stream of Soranowoto? They're the same two situations, with a scrolling online promo and scrolling credits. I think the way CR has it here is perfectly reasonable and doesn't mar the image.

It's just that I take animation and the composition of scenes seriously, and splashing huge black bars over the screen kind of ruins things. I mean, imagine if that was on a DVD.

I think sticking with "Onii-chan" is best. Translate it literally and either way Kirino starts sounding like a Black Panther or a frat boy.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the episode. Loved the fact that ANN got kouryuu to do the translation. For translating a show about an eroge fan, who could be better for the job than an eroge translator? Very Happy

Keep 'Onii-chan'.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised by how much I actually liked this I thought the characterization seemed good there where some technical problems with the subtitles but other than that everything went off without a hitch. This looks to be another hidden gem like (for me) Strike Witches that I am happy to have discovered thanks for picking it as the first show to simulcast.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I was much more amused by this than I expected but I'm still not sure if I want to keep following it. I guess it's mainly going to depend on what else gets simulcast, it certainly was pretty darn cute!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
This show was pretty entertaining but I don't know how well it will do with people who don't have a high tolerance for this stuff. I am just glad that she doesn't point since the key art made her look like she was going to be obnoxious. It will definitely be introducing where their going with relationship between her and her brother. I do love the eroge thing which I found interesting because they didn't go the obvious route of making it dirty from the first moment.

It might not be ground breaking in anyway but it's certainly watchable which is more than I could say about some other shows recently released.
Olivine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
First off, softsubs yay!
Spoilerific discussion for the first episode incoming.

spoiler[I loved how it starts off as having the "too good to be true" Kirino wake him up. The tone is all happy and whimsical, but something isn't right. Then he wakes up again, back to crappy reality. It was like the show was telling you, "NOT THIS TIME LOL!"

I also wonder if he was having dreams like that over and over, but that was just the last one, so that's the one he remembered. He does seem to be upset about how she treats him, too. Hmmm....maybe that's a recurring dream?]

spoiler[The game scene almost killed me! Anime hyper So wrong, yet so accurate! I wonder though, if Kirino's reaction to Kyou kicking the girl out of the bed and Kirino crawling onto Kyou's bed before waking him up are related. And notice we also don't see what happens before she wakes Kyou up both times. Maybe she lays next to him for a while. And why is she over him like that before she woke him up? Maybe she was staring at him for a while, or thinking about kssing him, then at the last moment, slaps him in the face to vent her frustration! So maybe, the reason she got so pissed when Kyou kicked the little sister out of the bed was because she figured he would have done the same thing if he had woke up while Kirino was sleeping there where she wasn't supposed to!]

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spoiler[I don't buy the "I want your opinion on this" routine. There's something else there! What if, maybe subconsciously, Kirino is getting Kyou to play romance games about little sisters is to get him to like the idea of romancing little sisters. Maybe, MAYBE, thats the plan she comes up with before she wakes him the second time! ]

*gasp*
*weeze*
*breathe in and out of paper bag*
*collapse*

This r good series srs. A+
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
So what was the final verdict, ANN -- are you going to review this show?
Daizo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
(Double-posting this from here, since it's very relevant to this thread)

So apparently someone failed web security 101 (gee, it's like FUNi's One Piece incident all over again) and pre-uploaded OreImo 02 to the streaming server with a predictable filename, and as a result some entrepreneurial gentlemen managed to get their hands on it and share it to the world. Screenshots are already circulating the internet along with the video file:

For discussing this, you should probably head over to this thread.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
D'oh! Anime hyper
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I decided to wait until tonight, in hopes that the server load would be lighter, to watch the first episode.

I log in only to find this:

Sorry, no longer available Sad

On the right, it shows:

Added on: 2010-10-09 | Expires: 2010-10-09

Is the streaming window really going to be this short? This was a bit over 7 hours after the video was first posted. If indeed this was the case, why was there no notice or warning of this?

I was planning on watching the first episode of this and togainu no chi and then deciding whether to buy the combo premium package, but apparently I will now have to decide based on posts by viewers.

On a related note, can anyone confirm if the video is indeed still available if one has paid for the premium package?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably in the minority, but I think it would have been nice (from what little I was able to watch) if the black outline on the subs were a bit thicker. It looked like it was only a pixel thick. Maybe I'm just an old fogy, but I prefer thicker outline on DVDs (and CR, for that matter). On the plus side, yellow subtitles! Yay! Seems like they're becoming something of a rarity these days, but I still find them the easiest to read from the couch.

Unfortunately, I got home pretty late this evening after the debacle with the episode 2 leak. Initially, I was only able only play the 480p stream. The 720 would just cycle the loading icon. I tried fiddling with my privacy settings, running in another browser, and then updating my flash plug-ins. After returning to the site, all I could get in a "the video is no longer available" message. As is, I'm not sure if my software is borked or if ANN had to pull the stream. Sad
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
It's clearly been removed (by resetting the expired date), at least temporarily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
It's clearly been removed (by resetting the expired date), at least temporarily.

I guess that explains the sudden background change - but shit, I wanted to watch it. Sad
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
So far I'm actually enjoying the series. I was a little iffy with the idea at first because it just sounded like another little sister moe series. But I was told that its not really what it appears to be at first and it's actually something unique and really funny down the line. And so far it has lived up to the hype. I think its pretty funny so far and even when it's not being funny I think its an interesting story. I just hope that it doesn't become heavy into the whole little sister relationship thing, or even if it does I'd like to see it be a type of parody or something like that.

Thanks ANN for the simulcast
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
one day was to quick, i bet it was taken down to it being posted before the release in other places.
I mean the second epi is find able before the japan release date scary.

let hope this dose not affect streams in the future!
but seeing as quick as it was taken down i think it just might and there is little to no news on it. other than it was leaked.
scary
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6