• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Aggregator Site Hosts Removed Scans Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonickid101

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
Dang it someone sue all ready, Im so sick of these piracy sites
GeekyBlackGirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
Waah. Waah. Waaah. One goes down, another will pop up. The companies should hire internet watchdogs on their staff to monitor this type of stuff.

Gosh, I'm glad I didn't get sued when I was a little kid for making copies from my friends' cds and then sharing that said copy to another friend. I know, I know...not the same thing. Pssh.

I shall continue using the library for my needs.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
I dont know why they keep putting up them back up there if they are going to keep being taking down
adam_omega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
GeekyBlackGirl wrote:
The companies should hire internet watchdogs on their staff to monitor this type of stuff.

With what money?

Hollywood studios can do that sort of thing, but most book publishers don't have that kind of capital.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
They're gonna get their asses sued Laughing Laughing Laughing
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
I don't know why they keep putting up them back up there if they are going to keep being taking down

Because they feel that the coalition won't or does not have the means to sue them.

They have only to move the servers and the personel out of the US to a more friendlier country and prob the coalition won't be able to sue them.

So they take it down during the move and put it back up when the coalition isn't looking or when their move is complete.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
GeekyBlackGirl wrote:
The companies should hire internet watchdogs on their staff to monitor this type of stuff.

With what money?

Hollywood studios can do that sort of thing, but most book publishers don't have that kind of capital.
Just borrow money and then spend your way out of the debt! Why, if that's good enough for the federal government of the United States, it's good enough for you! Wink (For anyone with a broken sarcasm detector, I'm expressing a massive bit of sarcasm. You can't spend your way out of debt, not even if your a government and print money to cover the debt. The dollar isn't doing so hot lately if no one noticed.)

Seriously though, are people really unaware of how little money anime and manga companies actually have to play around with? Even if you went strictly by the gross profits of the industries, the US anime and manga companies aren't exactly giants of capital. When you look at the net profits, the picture looks even worse.

People, do you have any idea how expensive a good lawyer is? Not to mention that if the people you want to sue are in another country, you have to hire a completely different kind of lawyer with even more specialized skills than you would if they were in the US. (That means you pay more.) Then, you have to factor in the reality that some countries simply DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS!

Does anyone here really think the government of China particularly cares about a manga aggregator site? Bribes and apathy will keep the enforcement officials off their backs. That leaves trying to deal with elements of the group that are in the US right? Okay, so now you have to gather evidence that proves damages, not an easy thing, and then successfully file a law suit which costs money whether you win or lose. Money that they don't really have to risk to begin with, especially with the economy sucking.

People really don't seem to understand how expensive it is to use the legal system to get anything done. It's not like a corporation can easily get a public defender! Heck, the automatic view of many potential jurors is that corporations are always the bad guy anyway.

Frankly, I think the anime and manga companies need to just toss their pride and pool every spare resource into their own online site and try to establish a beachhead of competition while appealing to fans for their support at every possible opportunity. They allowed the fansub/scanlation problem to become the behemoth it is now and even if they win a lawsuit, it won't do anything but cost them money if they don't seek to fill the vacuum. (Yeah, I can see pirates actually paying damages if the court found they caused injury. Rolling Eyes )

I say, start a replacement site and then start trying to nuke the enemy.

Heck, since there are already so many people who scanlate and fansub for free, just offer them a legitimate place to do it! All it would take is having them give an electronic signature and some very minor consideration from both parties and you could have something that might work that would have contract law backing. Why not bring these people, some of whom aren't actively trying to kill the industry, back into the fold?

If the aggregators can't get at the scanlator/fansubber's material except by taking it from a legit website, that would strengthen the legal arguments against them while simultaneously benefiting the copyright holders by having the people who read those scanlations and watch those fansubs coming to their website. Plus even many defenders of fansubs and scanlations are bothered by aggregators and others who take the legit scan or stream and host it illegally.

Honestly, I think a lot of trouble the industry is in comes from having too many competing interests and too few people willing to relax their hold on things. The time to think outside the box has come people because the box is on fire.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Heck, since there are already so many people who scanlate and fansub for free, just offer them a legitimate place to do it! All it would take is having them give an electronic signature and some very minor consideration from both parties and you could have something that might work that would have contract law backing. Why not bring these people, some of whom aren't actively trying to kill the industry, back into the fold?

That's a magnificent idea, and I have no clue as to why no one has actually attempted this yet. I mean, do most companies think that most scanlators are people like HorribleSubs?

Also, I wish Tokyopop would stop publishing Battle Vixens. I wish they'd just release Ikki Tousen here in it's original form.
Jikkle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The problem is these companies don't really know what they are doing nor does it seem like they have any sort of plan.

Let's say they get rid of every last pirate site and stop scanlations from happening than what? Sure you might see an increase in sales of already popular manga but how do you get people to invest $10 on some completely random manga they've never heard of before? I mean how many people would likely look at Bleach without any knowledge of it and say "hey that looks interesting" and plop $10 on it.

Unfortunately most people that are fans of Naruto, Bleach, etc probably have read it from a scanlation or watched a fansub of it. Which lead to a lot of them wanting high quality versions of it so they bought the Manga when it was released translated in volume form outside of Japan. So a lot people's exposure to the these franchises is from people who have read it on pirated sites out of curiosity and thus became fans of it.

The problem is and what people need to keep in mind is that Shonen Jump and other manga magazines have very little presence outside of Japan. So in Japan you might've bought Shonen Jump to read a certain manga than saw this new manga called One Piece, started reading it, became a fan, bought the volumes of it, than while reading SJ for One Piece you saw this new manga called Naruto, started reading it, and so on and so on.

What needs to be done I think is for these companies to work with Japan to get translated Shonen Jump for example to readers outside of Japan near the same time it releases in Japan. It's not like Japan doesn't have these chapters in advance and can't get them to someone like Viz in advance so they can begin the process of translating and putting together their own Shonen Jump and get their release dates really close.

I mean there is still going to be piracy but I think there is a market for people that would subscribe to Shonen Jump if they knew in their mailbox that week they are getting the same Shonen Jump Japan gets. And like I said before the more people reading Shonen Jump the more they are exposed to various mangas, the more likely they are to become fans and buy volumes and watch the anime version of it if there is one.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I find it kind of ironic that manga fox is handled by a company, that isn't giving any money to the artists, while I've read numerous times that people don't like buying manga in the States, because it's released by some giant evil company, that isn't giving enough money to the artists.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

That's a magnificent idea, and I have no clue as to why no one has actually attempted this yet.

Simple: most Japanese companies don't want their products to be distributed that way. They have little faith in digital distribution and if you let people outside of the company who licensed the manga translate it, they'll lose even more control over the final product.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone read their legal disclaimer, its just amusing how they claim the images and everything they have on their site is owned by them. LOL

Quote:
Legal Disclamer

MangaFox is a manga fan site and is a non-profit website dedicated to serving visitors with quality written manga news, reviews, and interviews plus available manga resources. Use of the MangaFox website shows your agreeing to the terms listed on this page, along with the terms located on our Terms of Use page. MangaFox reserves the right to make modifications to any of these policies at any time without notice to it's visitor's.

MangaFox and all of it's original content and images are the sole property of the staff of this site and it's contributors. Furthermore, MangaFox is protected by the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Unauthorized use of any original pieces originating from MangaFox are subject to criminal and civil penalties. If it is found that you have taken original work from MangaFox, you will be asked to remove it willingly and peacefully within 24 hours, or risk possible legal action against you or your website.

Any unauthorized attempts[hacking] at accessing the MangaFox server account is strictly prohibited. Action to the fullest extent of the law under criminal and civil law under Federal Laws including but not limited to Public Laws 83-703 and 99-474 will be taken against those who attempt to hack, attack, or ruin the MangaFox server.

By not agreeing to this legal disclaimer, You cannot prosecute MangaFox, any person(s) or site(s) affiliated with MangaFox including, but not limited to, family, friends or individuals who maintain or visit this website.

Information located on MangaFox is provided "AS IS" and without warranties as to performance of merchantability or any other warranties whether expressed or implied. All editorial content and graphics on our site is protected by U.S. copyright, international treaties and other applicable copyright laws and may not be copied without the express permission of MangaFox or it's contributors, which reserves all rights. Re-use of any of MangaFox's editorial content and graphics for any purpose without MangaFox's permission is strictly prohibited.

In no event will MangaFox, it's webhost(s), and any other site or third party websites linking to MangaFox, be liable to you for any direct, indirect, or other consequential damages for any use of this website. Including, without limitation, any lost profits, lost savings, and loss of data, even if MangaFox is advised of the possibility of such damages.

Donations made to MangaFox are made on your own will, and will under no circumstance be refunded to you after the first 24 hours upon receiving the donation. Donations are to help the website pay for it's server fees and basically maintain and keep the site running.

MangaFox reserves the right to modify, add to, change, or alter our disclaimers and terms of use pages at any time.

By continuing to visit MangaFox and any of it's affiliated websites means you are agreeing to all of the terms as stated above this document as well as the Terms of Use document. You are also affirming that you are in compliance with all State, Federal, and Local laws where you are residing concerning the contents of MangaFox.

Last edited by jsc315 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Really, sites like Mangafox doesn't need ANN to advertise them.
Why I found this unsurprising is that when I was at Alexa checking out the impact of the takedowns on OneManga, I saw MangaFox ads.

If they are paying for advertising on Alexa searches of the hit rates of other bootleg manga viewer sites, it doesn't take a genius to work out that they are advertising the availability of bootleg manga at their site.
ruriruri007

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
According to mangafox the return of these manga is not, as many claim, a simple case of pointing a web browser to a URL but rather an exploitation requiring advanced knowledge.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
ruriruri007 wrote:
According to mangafox the return of these manga is not, as many claim, a simple case of pointing a web browser to a URL but rather an exploitation requiring advanced knowledge.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8