• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Btooom! episodes 1-7

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
And I dropped this show after only a few episodes.

Then you missed how Ryouta and Himiko actually become likeable characters whom we can cheer for.

I had big reservations about BTOOOM! at first, and it was a struggle to get through the initial episodes. But over the course of the season it's become a good show that I look forward to watching.
casualfan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
People seem to forget that the characters aren't "nice" because they are supposed to bomb each other to death. If they are useless pacifists, how the heck are they going to kill each other. They'll all just live together like a family and the show ends.
The show works because the characters are a bunch of jerks and so the viewer can root against them. Although just recently, that spoiler[stranded nurse] kind of breaks the mold which I thought slightly ruined the show.
Anyways, it's an entertaining suspenseful anime.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Himiko is interesting in how she must learn to trust men again after such a traumatic experience. She is definitely more than the fanservice-bait that she originally came across as.

I could accept that better if she wasn't naked in what, four? seperate scenes in the OP. There's also the whole
"How do we make a female character interesting and edgy"
"attempted rape"
"that's been done before though"
"OK, we'll do it twice"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
People seem to forget that the characters aren't "nice" because they are supposed to bomb each other to death. If they are useless pacifists, how the heck are they going to kill each other. They'll all just live together like a family and the show ends.

The show works because the characters are a bunch of jerks and so the viewer can root against them.

Well, in Battle Royale there were only a few that actually wanted to kill the other participants, Kazuo and Mitsuko most notably. That's why Battle Royale is so well loved. It's an illustration of the psyche of many different characters and what it is that deteriorates trust/friendship and causes people to kill each-other.

I'd argue that BTOOOM doesn't work because the characters are flat. There's nothing to examine other than a bunch of explosions. And if I just wanted to watch a bunch of explosions then I'd watch Michael Bay movies.

Anyway, I think this show only got greenlit due to the success of Accel World and SAO. It doesn't surprise me in the least that the show flopped as miserably as it did.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
"B+" for such show is quite generous; the amount of stupidity and ridiculousness makes it low-level, scenario-wise.

I am not sure that any conceptual innovations, if there are any at all, could cover this up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2