• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Canaan DVD/Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also liked her in Tokyo Majin (she was Aoi, one of the main ensemble members) and Air (Kano Kirishima), but her anime resume just isn't that robust; I suspect it's not a main focus for her. Her most recent work, as near as I can tell, is some minor roles in the Clannad dub.

Forgot about Air... which is a surprise since it's one of my Ultimate favorites.
Haven't seen Tokyo Majin... isn't it supposed to be poor when it comes to story?

Quote:
t's part of a backlog from the Preview Guide weeks that I'm still working to get caught up on. Should get to it sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Cool. Looking forward to it. Very Happy
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Haven't seen Tokyo Majin... isn't it supposed to be poor when it comes to story?

The first half, at least, is pretty bad. No real character development or growth, monster-of-the-week style, variable animation quality, etc.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first half, at least, is pretty bad. No real character development or growth, monster-of-the-week style, variable animation quality, etc.

Ewwww.......

I guess when it comes to that type of layout, you'd have to really love the synopsis or else you'll just shake your head and ask the universal question: "Why?"
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, this was a good review. Canaan was a show that I watched week-to-week as it aired in Japan, and I really enjoyed it back then. I'm apparently one of the few people around here who has Anime Network on Demand on their TV--for the past month, they've been updating the channel with new episodes of the dub every week, so I've been watching it again as it does. Of course, I'm gonna pick up the DVD as well.

But anyway, this review matches my own feelings of the series pretty damn well. Freakin' gorgeous animation, a story that sorta jumps around and loses it direction at some point(for me, this didn't start until about ep. 5-6), great action sequence, and a cast full of pretty damn hot chicks(Canaan herself bein' my personal favorite, <3). When I first heard the dub in episode 1, though, I had a pretty big problem with it--not that any of the acting was bad, it's just that I didn't really feel as though the voices for Canaan(S. Calene-Black), Maria(H. Haag), Mino(D. Matranga), and Santana(hell if I remember) fit their characters. Which is weird, since I really like all of the 3 aforementioned VAs.

I've gotten used to the voices pretty quickly though with eps. 2 and 3, except for Santana's.

So, yeah. I'd personally give the series a B+ just because I enjoyed that much, but great review all the same. I'll keep on watching the dub on TV(episode 4 coming out tomorrow), and I'll pick up the DVD when it comes out as well.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
She also has some minor roles in Xam'd.

Well while Ishu isn't quite a main role, she's definitely a big supporting character, so I wouldn't call it minor.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
I do. The weaknesses in the writing really remain secondary though so long as they aren't given too much consideration. Canaan is a show that one is supposed to move right along with anyway, as is literally illustrated.

Just like an American summer blockbuster action thriller except with more hot action girls and implied lesbianism! Surprised

Exactly. Laughing
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic review as usual, but I must protest the inexplicable omission of any mention of the Awesome Taxi Driver, by far the best element of the series. He deserves a mention in the pluses at least, if not his own paragraph.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I really hope that subtitle glitch isn't in the blu-ray version Neutral.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for this just because it has Hilary Haag and Jessica Boone, two VA's I love (and miss).

Sadly, Netflix doesn't even stock this baby (as of this posting). And with their recent history of not getting new anime releases, I won't be holding my breath on seeing this, which is a shame as I'm the kinda guy who doesn't buy a dub blind (I rent before I buy dubs).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also liked her in Tokyo Majin (she was Aoi, one of the main ensemble members) and Air (Kano Kirishima), but her anime resume just isn't that robust; I suspect it's not a main focus for her. Her most recent work, as near as I can tell, is some minor roles in the Clannad dub.

Wow, I must be seriously behind. I didn't even hear about Clannad being dubbed. I didn't even realize it got a dub either ^^;

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Treetastic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Well, this was a good review. Canaan was a show that I watched week-to-week as it aired in Japan, and I really enjoyed it back then. I'm apparently one of the few people around here who has Anime Network on Demand on their TV--for the past month, they've been updating the channel with new episodes of the dub every week, so I've been watching it again as it does. Of course, I'm gonna pick up the DVD as well.

But anyway, this review matches my own feelings of the series pretty damn well. Freakin' gorgeous animation, a story that sorta jumps around and loses it direction at some point(for me, this didn't start until about ep. 5-6), great action sequence, and a cast full of pretty damn hot chicks(Canaan herself bein' my personal favorite, <3). When I first heard the dub in episode 1, though, I had a pretty big problem with it--not that any of the acting was bad, it's just that I didn't really feel as though the voices for Canaan(S. Calene-Black), Maria(H. Haag), Mino(D. Matranga), and Santana(hell if I remember) fit their characters. Which is weird, since I really like all of the 3 aforementioned VAs.

I've gotten used to the voices pretty quickly though with eps. 2 and 3, except for Santana's.

So, yeah. I'd personally give the series a B+ just because I enjoyed that much, but great review all the same. I'll keep on watching the dub on TV(episode 4 coming out tomorrow), and I'll pick up the DVD when it comes out as well.

I have the On Demand channel too, so I've been watching this for a couple weeks. I agree with you on the dub. It just didn't work for me. The show is pretty good, though.

By the way, are there any other real-life synesthetes who found the way the show portrayed it hilariously inaccurate? I know I did.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:
By the way, are there any other real-life synesthetes who found the way the show portrayed it hilariously inaccurate? I know I did.

In what way? Based on what I've read about synesthesia, the exact effects it has on perception seem to vary widely from person to person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Katawe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Treetastic wrote:

In what way? Based on what I've read about synesthesia, the exact effects it has on perception seem to vary widely from person to person.

I wouldn't say hilariously inaccurate, but there are a few scenes where she uses it in impossible ways. Synesthesia is when one sense spills over into another, not an extra sense--it can't give you information you don't already have. So the scene where Canaan spoiler[locates Maria in a building while standing outside the building] wouldn't work (unless she also has X-ray vision or something) and the scene where Liang-Qi spoiler[cancels out all the sound waves in a room so that Canaan is the only one affected by Hakko's voice] would have made a lot more sense if they had just spoiler[left out the sound-wave thing. Canaan could still be affected more than anyone else since the voice is presumably reaching more parts of her brain than normal.]

Other than that, though, I thought the show did its homework pretty well. She sees colors based on her perception of people's emotions, so she's more likely to pay close attention to body language. That combined with her extensive gunfight training can account for her ability to recognize when someone's about to shoot, etc. On the whole, it's definitely the most plausible thing the Ua virus caused.

Can't complain about a show that makes me feel like a superhero for thinking the letter M looks good in red Wink
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Wait, wait, wait a second! Jessica Boone is in this dub? I thought she quit and moved to NC with her husband, or something like that? After I find out what the deal is with the BD, I may get this sooner than planned because I'm a big fan of hers.

She did move, but she still has family in Houston. She decided to continue to do dubbing work at ADV when she travels back to visit family. She also has some minor roles in Xam'd.

I'm a big fan of hers too, especially her roles in Kurau and Maburaho.

I have the bluray preordered from Amazon and it should be shipping soon. I'm not too worried about the subtitle issue in episode 8. It has Hilary Haag and Jessica Boone, so I will definitely be listening to the dub.

The fact that it has an eng dub ( which is really rare for series licensed by Sentai ) is the main reason why I am gonna get the series. Also like the fact that it's genre is from the girls with guns base like Noir and Madlax which is a good thing.

And since it's based from a series which it's featured art and senarios are from Type-Moon ( which i am a serious fan of Lunar Legend Tsukhimie & the Fate series ) is a big plus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Cool to get some input from actual Syensthetes. I came in to the show assuming that the condition had been embellished for the anime's purposes, so it's nice to have better resolution than that.

jr0904 wrote:
And since it's based from a series which it's featured art and senarios are from Type-Moon ( which i am a serious fan of Lunar Legend Tsukhimie & the Fate series ) is a big plus.

Bonus if you listen to the sub: Maaya Sakamoto as Alphard (Shiki in KnK, if you haven't seen the movies).
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Katawe"]I wouldn't say hilariously inaccurate, but there are a few scenes where she uses it in impossible ways. Synesthesia is when one sense spills over into another, not an extra sense--it can't give you information you don't already have. So the scene where Canaan spoiler[locates Maria in a building while standing outside the building] wouldn't work (unless she also has X-ray vision or something) and the scene where Liang-Qi spoiler[cancels out all the sound waves in a room so that Canaan is the only one affected by Hakko's voice] would have made a lot more sense if they had just spoiler[left out the sound-wave thing. Canaan could still be affected more than anyone else since the voice is presumably reaching more parts of her brain than normal.][quote]

Do remember, though, that the Ua virus enhanced her condition to superhuman level, putting her(as I believe Siam stated it) beyond even synesthetic state and into a wholly new state. And yes, I know that's a bit of a cop-out explanation, but that is how the series explains things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3