• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sales on the Upswing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:33 am Reply with quote
A great deal of people don't look at the big picture when they see a cheap DVD in front of them. Can't say I blame them, either. Getting them hooked on the show with one cheap DVD can be enough to make them buy more of what are, at the moment they buy them, cheap DVDs. While they may be expensive in the long run, their immediate cheapness is attractive, especially if you're covering other expenses on a lousy paycheck that makes more expensive DVDs less accessible right away.

So this might actually work in ADV's favor in the long run. I guess we'll see with time.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:40 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
A great deal of people don't look at the big picture when they see a cheap DVD in front of them. Can't say I blame them, either. Getting them hooked on the show with one cheap DVD can be enough to make them buy more of what are, at the moment they buy them, cheap DVDs. While they may be expensive in the long run, their immediate cheapness is attractive, especially if you're covering other expenses on a lousy paycheck that makes more expensive DVDs less accessible right away.

So this might actually work in ADV's favor in the long run. I guess we'll see with time.
yep its alot easyer to justify 10-20 here and there every month or so then 100+ or in one wack for a box set. of course with those brick pack dvd sets coming out I've gotten alot more anime for my $.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote
I realize that most people don't look at the big picture, I'm pretty sure I said that earlier in fact. Wink My point is, the casual buyer may not notice that they will be paying more, but those of us who are savvy shoppers, will notice that fact, and it could possibly turn them off. Considering the way some people act about the price of anime, those types may be driven to find "alternative" means of acquiring the series, although I hope not.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:09 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
I realize that most people don't look at the big picture, I'm pretty sure I said that earlier in fact. Wink
well if its worth saying once its worth saying agien Very Happy

also in the big picture of things that hasn't been mentions yet i belive well its 2am and im tired so if it has im sorry but anyway on to my point.

The econmy has been rollercoasting in the last 5 years or so and peopel dont have alot of disposable income like they used to, atleast I've noticed it with my friends and I. atleast in my case with the rising cost of tuition and books (college switching to new editions) and with gas at 2.15+ for regular at least were I am dont have as much money to piss away as I used to.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:02 am Reply with quote
ADV's Gantz release style was a marketing decision.

Which is why I'll be ignoring their release and instead getting the Australian release from Madman, who licensed the show directly from Japan and are going to release it on 6-7 dvds.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
I thought there were reports just a few weeks ago of the anime/manga industry starting to enter a recession because of the overabundance of licensed titles, both good and bad. What happened to that?

Total sales of anime on home video in North America apepar to have been less in 2004 than in 2003.

What this new reports says, is that total sales in the first quarter of 2005 appear to be larger than the same quarter in 2004.

This is good news obviously, but its only one quarter.

-t
Stueypark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this isn't just the result of strong sales on the Miyazaki discs, which yet again broke the top 15 this week.

The industry needs strength across the board and not just a one-trick pony being released by Disney.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
I thought there were reports just a few weeks ago of the anime/manga industry starting to enter a recession because of the overabundance of licensed titles, both good and bad. What happened to that?

Total sales of anime on home video in North America apepar to have been less in 2004 than in 2003.

What this new reports says, is that total sales in the first quarter of 2005 appear to be larger than the same quarter in 2004.

This is good news obviously, but its only one quarter.

-t

Ah, thank you for clarifying that. It'll be interesting to see if it can continue the stronger sales through the second quarter.
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
ADV's Gantz release style was a marketing decision.

Which is why I'll be ignoring their release and instead getting the Australian release from Madman, who licensed the show directly from Japan and are going to release it on 6-7 dvds.

It seems i'm probably getting the DVDs from down under instead of ADV's. Thing is, i don't know a shop that carries/will carry these releases.

When are they going to start to come out? I can't find much on their site. A google search restricted to madman (search_parameter site:site_url) poped at the FAQ, where it says basically keep checking for release dates.

Anyone aware of a shop that has'em and exports to super-europe Very Happy ?

Anyways, here's what i found:
http://madboards.madman.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=16098&highlight=gantz

Thanks for the help. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
The Madman dvds may not be the director's cut or may not have the supplements that are coming from ADV.
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The Madman dvds may not be the director's cut or may not have the supplements that are coming from ADV.

True, but it is preferable to wait than to rush out to ADV's discs and then find out later that there's a better offer out there.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Armagguedes wrote:
GATSU wrote:

True, but it is preferable to wait than to rush out to ADV's discs and then find out later that there's a better offer out there.

I don't really think so. I mean, ADVs discs are very reasonably priced. I may not be happy with the way that they decided (or were wrestled into) releasing Gantz, but it doesn't cost me anymore to pay for 2 episodes at a time at a lowered price than to pay for 4 episodes at a time at a higher price. Especially with places like Best Buy that slash their prices at considerable advantage to consumers, it really isn't much of a money gouge.

If I'm going to get unedited, good-quality discs, and I know that I can get them now rather than later at the same cost, why not? Would you rather pay the shipping from Australia and higher disc prices just so you can have 4 episodes a disc?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The guy's in Portugal; since he has to pay international shipping charges either way, it would probably be better for him to order the Australian DVDs as he'd only have to pay half as often for shipping as he would for the American disks. Unless the cost of the disks themselves make it so that the cost per episode is more than the American version, I think he's better off ordering the Australian disks, as, either way, he's getting a DVD meant for outside his region.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The guy's in Portugal; (...) pay half as often for shipping as he would for the American disks. Unless the cost of the disks themselves make it so that the cost per episode is more than the American version, I think he's better off ordering the Australian disks, as, either way, he's getting a DVD meant for outside his region.

Actually i have never imported anything from AU, so i really don't know how much i will be charged for S&H. Then let's not forget about customs, which scare me more than the price of DVDs. If i get taxed at the airport, a 19% VAT of $29.95AUD (€17.86EUR or $23.08USD) is something to think of.

[edit]Just found out that:
i) in PT the customs services don't tax anything imported that is worth less than €22EUR (S&H excluded). This is something worth checking out at your Customs.
ii) Those €17.86EUR you would pay for a Madman Gantz disc (at their site) compete with €14.34EUR (in Archonia.com) from ADV's releases, and the latter only have half the episodes
[/edit]

Even if the R4 (R1,2,4,wtv really doesn't matter all that much: R0 player Wink ) discs are (just) slightly more expensive than those of ADV (and assuming S&H is similar), i actually would prefer to buy the australians', basically because of shelf space.

It's rather stupid but with all the books and anime merch. it's getting really cramped up there. So if i have to shell out an additional 5EUR or so, well, tough luck.

Anyways, other than that, i buy all my stuff in an european (belgian) online store, so i'm in the clear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2