Forum - View topic
Do NOT ask for Downloads! [Or Illegal Streaming Video Links]


Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3799
Location: The OC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
By popular demand, and because of the sudden rash of rule-breakers, we now have a nice announcement thread to reminds users that requesting downloads of any kind on ANN is strictly forbidden. (Unless you want trailers or something. That's a different story.)

So, for those who haven't read Teh Rules (which I highly recommend), know full well that all threads asking for downloads will be locked, and the user may be banned if deemed necessary.

Addendum: Requesting information about sites that legally provide downloads/streaming anime, etc, is permitted. Exampless include Total Vid, etc...

[Zalis-edit] However, do NOT ask for links to watch any anime, licensed or unlicensed, in streaming-video form for free. (Unless they are official and authorized by a production or licensee company.) That is the equivalent of asking for download links, and will be dealt with in the same way. Do not bother asking "How come they took ****** off Youtube, where can I find it?" All you'll get is a nice padlock on your thread, with maybe a smart remark or two as a bonus.[/edit]


(And while we're at it, no list posts!! Please folks, if you're going to mention a list of favorites or recommendations, please say why you're choosing them. I hate having to delete all y'alls list posts so let's keep that to a minimum, eh?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
biliano



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 956
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much, Bamboo! Very Happy

Maybe this will finally get the message across to these idiots that willfully abuse the forums to do something that is illegal. I know everyone (including me) is getting tired of reminding people to read the rules before posting anything.

But then again, there's no guarantee that they will be reading this thread. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 3834

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least it'll be easier to link this thread than going through the other forum and finding "Teh Rules" thread. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 956
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's true Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kazuki-san



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 2251
Location: Houston, TX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this will help, but I'm willing to bet I will still be reporting at least one post a week about downloads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Edo



Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 88
Location: Ontari-ari-ari-o!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
///

Last edited by Edo on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 2251
Location: Houston, TX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Edo wrote:

Because, as I have mentioned before, downloading is NOT currently illegal in most of the world! Please, I don't agree with it, but I can't stand when people go on about how it is illegal, when by law, it's not. However, it certainly is immoral.


Actually, in ANY country that has signed the Berne Convention or any of numerous other copyright treaties, or is a member of the WTO, it is most certainly illegal to download any works coming out of any other countries that have also signed, Japan and the US being two of them. Here is a list of those that have signed the Berne Convention. Keep in mind that's only one of the various treaties dealing with international copyrights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Edo



Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 88
Location: Ontari-ari-ari-o!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
///

Last edited by Edo on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 2251
Location: Houston, TX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Edo wrote:
DOWNLOADING IS LEGAL!!!! UPLOADING IS ILLEGAL!!! It was supposed to work, because you can't download if no one uploads.


Look, I'm not going to argue with you. It IS illegal to download anything that falls under my previous post. Believe it or not, it's illegal whether you chose to or not. (Which is not to be confused with something actually happening to you for doing so, because that's often not the case)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Edo



Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 88
Location: Ontari-ari-ari-o!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
///

Last edited by Edo on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 2251
Location: Houston, TX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Edo wrote:
Please follow the Grokster vs MGM case. Think 1984 Betamax ruling...


This really isn't the place to debate this, but if that's what you want.. Grokster vs MGM deals with whether Grokster can be held accountable for copyright infringment of their users, since Grokster did not actually cause the infringment to occur, the users did so themselves. Grokster may not be held liable, but individual users are completely liable if they infringe upon copyrights. The Betamax case was the same. Betamax couldn't be held responsible for any infringments created because someone who owned a Betamax copied a tape. The end user is very much liable, however. Like I said earlier, don't confuse something being illegal with someone knocking on your door trying to take you to jail, but it's illegal all the same.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Steventheeunuch



Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Posts: 2973
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
The thread title needs to be about twice the size, and it should flash.

Subsequently, the obtaining of works that have been reproduced without authorization from the person who holds the rights to produce copies IS an infringement on copyright laws, which can lead to fines and imprisonment depending on where you are, and if you are charged.

It is illegal, however it's only punishable to the extent the original copyright holders will take it. Upload and Downloading is simply a means to an end in this case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dagwood



Joined: 12 Dec 2004
Posts: 222

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The thread title needs to be about twice the size, and it should flash.

Laughing!!!

Quote:
know full well that all threads asking for downloads will be locked, and the user may be banned if deemed necessary.

I think you should ban them for a week right off. If and when they complain, you could just point them to Teh Rules, this thread, and several other places on ANN and say, we told you so! Other wise, I have a feeling it's not going to stop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 956
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:58 am Reply with quote
Edo wrote:
I hope that when you say "illegal" you are referring to it being illegal to request downloads, etc. on this site. Because, as I have mentioned before, downloading is NOT currently illegal in most of the world! Please, I don't agree with it, but I can't stand when people go on about how it is illegal, when by law, it's not. However, it certainly is immoral.


I don't know why you think that downloading copyrighted works without permission is legal in Canada (as you claim), but I'm a citizen of the USA, and in the USA, it IS, and ALWAYS WILL BE, illegal to download copyrighted works without permission from the owners. Let's not turn this thread into another debate about downloading, for I will request the mods to lock this announcement if it does turn into another downloading debate - we had too many of those running rampant around the forums. The mods made these rules for a reason. Allow me to display what Chris MacDonald, ANN's Editor-in-Chief, mentioned a while ago in relation to downloading:

On March 17, 2005, tempest wrote:
Fansubs and Bootlegs are illegal. period.
Bootlegs are immoral .period.
Fansubs are of questionable morality ...elipses...

We're not going to tell you whether or not you can download fansubs or buy bootlegs, we aren't here for that. We just don't want to see issues of questionable ethics promoted here.

It's not because we don't want to annoy the licensors and retailers that visit this forum, it's quite simply that we don't want to promote further expansion of the fansub and bootleg "markets." Anime fans that can't wait (or who live abroad) will be resourceful enough to find fansubs without this forum helping them, and people of limited ethical value will manage to find bootlegs without us as well.

So then, this is the end, no discussions about obtaining fansubs or bootlegs, and no discussions about how to view them once they are obtained.

Christopher Macdonald
Editor in Chief
Anime News Network


He also gave this stern warning:

tempest wrote:
ANN will not allow discussion regarding obtaining illegal material, nor will we allow discussion regarding technical aspects of viewing such illegal material.


So there you go. Follow the rules, and we won't be so hard on you. Break them, and the mods will indeed kick you out of the forum. Twisted Evil

EDIT: After re-reading this post, I made myself unclear as to what I wanted to say. Problem fixed. Sorry to mislead you. Embarassed


Last edited by biliano on Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IvoryBirch



Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Posts: 137
Location: a distant northern land

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
At this moment, I am currently preparing to post a thread listing the top 50 sites from which one can download anime. Wink

Anyhow, this is indeed a topic that was in dire need of being posted. However, I must admit that I found it mildly amusing to see how many threads entitled "where can i download such-and-such" (or something to that effect) would amass during the day. Then again, I'm just a lazy arse who lets all the dirty work be done by the moderators, most of whom I imagine have developed whiplash from repeatedly banging their heads against their desks after reading the aforementioned threads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group