• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Win a Trip to Japan with Pop Japan Travel, Aniplex and ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
axstoro wrote:
So how is this contest going to be judged? The quailty of the art, or the though put into the art?
Definitely a combination of both. Past winners have not always been the most technically perfect entries. Take a look at the Kannagi and the Hatsune Miku contests.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Does it also apply for people who don't live in the US?

USA + Canada

Hopefully next time we'll do something international.
Unholyfool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

It is a shame, though, since I think a "Write A Review" contest goes really well with what tempest asked, especially since ANN is partially a review site and many would love to have their review immortalized on the site forever.

Back when we were much smaller we did some review contests. They were a lot of work, but they were a lot of fun and hugely successful. The winners got a position as ANN reviewers (sadly none of those reviewers are still with us, but some of them stayed for many years).

Sadly, if we did that today, it would be "too successful." No one on staff has the time or energy to read 10,000 review submissions. Whatsmore, anime fandom has gotten younger since then, so we'd get a lot of reviews from teenagers who don't have polished writing skills yet (and don't realize it).

I'd still love to do it. But it would be hugely impractical.

I'm not sure how practical this is, but it would be an idea for easing off the staff for "review submissions"
Maybe make it an American Idol of review submission.
each person must vote for at least 10 they found actually helpful or accurate, to be allowed into the competition, you can change your vote if you see a better entry. Narrow the list to pick from to only 20 or so, as to have people competing against each other. Take the highest from each and review them and the ones you pick would be the winners.

pros
you'll want to vote for someone you feel okay with beating you
takes pressure off staff
this may help you come up with an actual idea

cons
cheating
I don't say how the first 10 people would post
I made this up with in seconds of reading the post

(side note the promo there is a clip of music, was that made for that promo or is it from something else)
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
Man, this is a really great opportunity for people, thanks ANN. Too bad I wasn't born 6 months earlier!
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I've already been to those places. xD I'll be fair and not enter this contest. ^^;
chupachup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I tried to submit a second entry to the Oreimo contest, but the page says I cannot because I've already entered. But, the rules say you're allowed to enter more than once? Help please! Maybe there is an email address I can directly send my entries to?
Thanks Smile

chupako AT gmail.com
mlyabi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
chupachup wrote:
I tried to submit a second entry to the Oreimo contest, but the page says I cannot because I've already entered. But, the rules say you're allowed to enter more than once? Help please! Maybe there is an email address I can directly send my entries to?
Thanks Smile

chupako AT gmail.com

The same problem with me ^^''~
I hope OREIMO contestants can also submit more than one ~
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hooray, I got my entry in on time with ten minutes to spare!
Author X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hey there, I've never entered one of these before (I only new about it because my best friend has actually bought a ticket for the tour, and I wanted to go with him) so I was wondering...

I didn't start my entry until the last minute, and just barely uploaded it and submitted the link to it on deviantArt in time. But since it's only half-finished, I might want to go back and work on it some more, and upload the finished version to my deviantArt gallery. Since I gave the URL for the deviation for this contest, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to change it on dA. Can I edit the piece on deviantArt later, or do I have to upload the finished version as a separate piece so my entry stays as it is?

Sorry if I'm being confusing, I'd just rather not leave something unfinished in my gallery, but I don't want to be disqualified (on the odd, off-chance I might win Rolling Eyes )
coffeebeat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I submitted my entry a few days ago, but never got an email confirmation. Was I suppose to?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
coffeebeat wrote:
I submitted my entry a few days ago, but never got an email confirmation. Was I suppose to?

Nope, there are no confirmations sent out. As long as you received the message after your entry, we received it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4