• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Virtual Idol Hatsune Miku to 'Sing in English'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamikaze Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I know that there are people that are against the idea, but I applaud Crypton Future Media for creating an English voicebank for Miku because with the even greater audience that this will bring, this will help advance speech processing and other fields even further because of the interest this will bring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I really dont care if she sings in english or in japanese as long as there more concerts that are coming to the US and have on in my area
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I've read some of Gibson's books... they're ok.. not really a fan, nor do I hate him. I do however, absolutely positively detest the term "cyberspace". It makes me cringe when I hear people use it. No one--not one IT/hard/software-developer I know, nor CS/CE person from college, uses the term "cyberspace". Instead, the terms "online", "net", "fabric", "virtual", "physical", etc perfectly suffices.

Anyways, it seems like when the unfamiliar, like Gibson, sees Miku they think "oh, she's just some kind of CG pop idol" when that completely misses the point! Really, the whole Vocaloid scene is about the software package and the fan created content, the ability to make her sing and do whatever you want, the fact that no one is "in charge" of all the content

mdo7 wrote:
Yeah, I take it none of you have understand the significant of William Gibson's work. Did you know without Gibson's work, cyberpunk anime like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and Bubblegum Crisis would not have existed.

Was Akira actually influenced by Gibson? It's very different from Gibson's stuff at its core--less "cyber", much more metaphysical. I think Akira (manga) pre-dated his books in Japan?
and some of what he said in that article is true, but also misses some important historical issues about Japanese westernization...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
William Gibson is a dumbass and should STFU! Seriously.... Less anime? What? Is this the 80's?

old_yoshi wrote:
In English? I'd much rather have her subbed than dubbed. Yah Gibson is irrelevant to anime culture and should STFU.

Yeah, I take it none of you have understand the significant of William Gibson's work. Did you know without Gibson's work, cyberpunk anime like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and Bubblegum Crisis would not have existed. So William Gibson doesn't have the right to say whatever he want.

I think responding to either of these haters is probably a waste of time. It is pretty obvious that neither of them actually read the article or they would have figured out that Gibson is interested in the technology and the viral nature of the Miku Hatsune craze. But that is the humor factor of "haters". Most of the time they rant and flame with no real facts to back up their spew.
Olivine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
old_yoshi wrote:
In English? I'd much rather have her subbed than dubbed.

She's not being subbed or dubbed. Her voice bank is getting english voice data, so she can sing english lyrics. Do you even know what Vocaloid is?

On a related note, soon I will be able to create my Microsoft Sam/Hatsune Miku radio drama! Very Happy Trying to engrish out Miku's speech speech was too painful last time I tried. On the plus side, it was possible to make some disturbing form of Sam/Miku audio doujin. Vocaloid is surpisingly versatile...
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
KYAAA! MIKUUUU!!! (Warning: rest of post will be filled with nonstop fangirling.)

I watched that whole concert (online...teh quality was teh suck, but whatever. Maybe Santa will get me the DVD~), and I was squeeing the whole time. I WANT it in my city. I can't get out to San Francisco or New York for a concert! MIKU I'M YOUR BIGGEST FANGIRL, JUST GIVE ME THIS AND I'LL STOP TYPING IN FANGIRLY CAPS AND EMOTES ON YOUR VIDEOS, I PROMISE!!!

But jeez, I've been dreaming of going down for breakfast one morning and seeing Miku in a spot on Fox & Friends. And I'd be bouncing off the freaking walls. Watching her on those newscasts was sick, but if I saw that in America...Anime hyper

...Mikumikumiku~

EDIT: *forgot to add* I don't really care if she's in English or not. Truthfully...I'd actually...dang, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd prefer if she weren't given an English voice bank. Those banks normally sound horrible, even for the American Vocaloids. *shudder* Just thinking of what they would do to her...I'm not even a fan of Append. Have we learned nothing from "The Disappearance of Hatsune Miku"? LEAVE...MIKU...ALONE!!!!111one.

ANOTHER EDIT: She performed "Disappearance" live, too...it was awesome...just sayin'.

Last edited by ZipZapZopTitania on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I think responding to either of these haters is probably a waste of time. It is pretty obvious that neither of them actually read the article or they would have figured out that Gibson is interested in the technology and the viral nature of the Miku Hatsune craze. But that is the humor factor of "haters". Most of the time they rant and flame with no real facts to back up their spew.

I won't deny his influence on cyberpunk (x@!# "cyber") and I give him credit for being open to finding out more.. and yes, he doesn't deserve to be outright dismissed just because of his wrong assumption... but that was sort of the start of this all, a wrong assumption, a wrong first impression.. which I think a lot of people probably share though.

Not sure if the subsequent tweets really gave the right impression either.. it's definitely not "crowdsourcing" per se where a single company relies on publishing the works of others..
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
a wrong first impression..

Not everybody has to like J-pop or low-res CG holograms of anime-style characters, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not what he's into.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Hatsune Miku is not even that good of a singer! And they want her to sing in English?!?! Cowell would had totally trash her ass in American Idol! Razz
yblees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Re: Gibson's Twitter post
Erm. I'm not sure what Hatsune Miku the Vocaloid is, so I'm probably missing half of the references here.
But with respect to the Gibson half of that Twit-versation, here's some background information so people don't keep making fool comments.

William Gibson's Idoru is about a Virtual pop star/singer that is a "front" for an experimental AI. The experimental part is that the Idoru has access to all internet data about herself (something like that).
When the human lead singer of the band Lo/REZ marries the idoru (nobody is sure if this is for real, or just a publicity stunt), the AI also gets access to all information about Rez, and the other Lo/Rez band members. Online data on both the idoru and Rez are majority "crowd sourced" - in that 99% of available information is posted by fans (unofficial sources).
Somehow the mass of this data creates information "nodes" that kicks the AI up several levels, from being a clever computer program, to a "true" AI, surpassing human understanding.
The idoru starts to act in her own interests, and the "wake" she leaves in the internet data causes various groups to take interest (fan groups, internet data communities and organised crime included)

In other words, Gibson may be making a joke comparing Hatsune Miku with his Idoru, Rei, and her human husband, Rez. And the other Twitter responses are telling him, it's no joke, at least part of his Idoru plot is true (the crowd sourced data on Hatsune Miku).
At least read Idoru before making any more idiot comments, kay?

EDIT: Forgot to add that the Idoru uses all that crowd sourced data to develop her AI program so it becomes more realistic/intelligent - hence the comment about "crowd sourced evolution"

Last edited by yblees on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
William Gibson is a dumbass and should STFU! Seriously.... Less anime? What? Is this the 80's?

old_yoshi wrote:
In English? I'd much rather have her subbed than dubbed. Yah Gibson is irrelevant to anime culture and should STFU.

Yeah, I take it none of you have understand the significant of William Gibson's work. Did you know without Gibson's work, cyberpunk anime like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and Bubblegum Crisis would not have existed. So William Gibson doesn't have the right to say whatever he want.

True, but I like to see what those haters will say when I show them evidence. If they don't respond, then that's their lost. Very Happy

configspace wrote:
Was Akira actually influenced by Gibson? It's very different from Gibson's stuff at its core--less "cyber", much more metaphysical. I think Akira (manga) pre-dated his books in Japan?

Well the Akira manga ran from December 20, 1982 – June 25, 1990. But Otomo could've gotten his Cyberpunk influence elsewhere not only Gibson's work. But other anime like Ghost in the Shell and Bubblegum Crisis wouldn't have existed without Cyberpunk influence.

ultimafullmetal wrote:
I really don't get this Hatsune Miku thing. It kinda creeps me out.

Well there's a lot of thing in Japan that creep me out also, but it's OK to not get it. I don't under go around saying to other countries that they are strange because it's not American. If you study sociology, you should be aware that countries around the world have their own culture and customs. Yes, they will have strange culture and pop culture stuff that we American don't understand. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if people in Japan who are not familiar with some of our stuff like for example Family Guy or American Dad, they might not get those show because they don't understand the shows.

The Xenos wrote:
I know, right?! Egad some kids today. Hell, even I'm a litle on the young side. I first saw GITS and only then later learned of Gibson's work. Neuromancer's a bit dated and even Gibson has written articles on how he would write it different today, but it's still a brilliant take on where technology was going and is now.

People with stupidity and ignorance do exist almost everywhere, I'm not surprised to find some on this site also. I guess some people don't know how to take a opinion.

Anyway, I haven't got chance to say this on my last post. I'm glad to see Miku is getting famous in US. I wonder how it'll turn out. Looks like people on Kotaku are going to want to hear this. I might tell Brian Ashcroft about this. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm perfectly happy with Hatsune Miku just singing songs in Japanese. I don't want the Japanese or Crypton Future Media to get the impression that Miku needs to be localized or adapted for whatever country she makes a performance in. Her fans love her how she is, no need to change anything or appeal to people who only want to see an English speaking, or Westernized virtual idol. Just make a different Vocaloid character for that.

Personally I think Hatsune Miku is as close as we'll ever come, or at least is already, the Sharon Apple or EVE of the real world. Just without the implications that brought those two virtual idols into existence in their respective anime. The objective of the developers of Miku is simply to entertain and to provide a means for creative expression where, before this technology, it was not feasible for the everyday end user.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
configspace wrote:
a wrong first impression..

Not everybody has to like J-pop or low-res CG holograms of anime-style characters, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not what he's into.

Well, the point is that that's not what Vocaloid is about.

@yblees
I don't think the comparison is apt at all and you might be reading to much into it. Definitely not crowd sourcing ala wikipedia. It's not like some vendor can take songs someone else wrote, or their unique character data, and incorporate or use it themselves commercially. So more like "self sourcing" if anything -- you make your own Miku song, I make my Miku song, and there's a very clear distinction. And of course, no AI involved. It's the wrong impression to concentrate on the "singular" virtual idol part of the whole Vocaloid scene. It's more like people creating their own idols, sharing a common theme, but each idol being a separate and unique instance of the same set of characters, NOT a single instance that synthesizes what everyone thinks of her (as would be idoru), with the important distinction in that fans in RL here knowing full well about their *own* creations, the fact that they don't have to rely on someone's else data although it might be voluntarily shared, the fact that tools to create their *own* idols are at their disposal

edit: If Vocaloid were to be promoted here, it would be much more useful to at least promote the creative aspect, something like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVOjxKMzu1c (for the vocal aspect)
or http://www.blendernation.com/2008/12/17/hatsune-miku-rigged-blender-character-available/ (for the CG aspect)

Last edited by configspace on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Well, the point is that that's not what Vocaloid is about.

Right, Vocaloids are music creation software. Hatsune Miku is the character that represents this particular product.
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Its great to be quoted so often!
So I should clarify:
1. In English? subbed not dubbed - I was joking here. Apparently not everyone got it. But I'll be really annoyed if they start translating Miku songs into English and not have her mouth parts moving in sync.
2a. not relevant to anime culture - Yah! Gibson might be relevant to computer culture, science culture, sci-fi book culture, but not so much anime culture. I think we've progressed past the cyberpunk era (or at least hope so). Anyway its just my opinion.
2b. I didn't say he didn't influence anything. I said he was not relevant to anime culture. There is a difference.
3. STFU - This is my response to making Miku less "anime". If Gibson wants a vocaloid he should make his own and do what he wants with it. I prefer Miku as "anime". Status Quo.

Okay, ready? You can start vilifying me now... Oh this is my last post on this topic so don't bother waiting for a reply.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4