• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Virtual Idol Hatsune Miku to 'Sing in English'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Right, Vocaloids are music creation software. Hatsune Miku is the character that represents this particular product.
To be more precise Hatsune Miku is the character who represents the Vocaloid2 Character Vocal Series. Vocaloid existed before Miku was created, but her creation came about when they decided to attach a face and image to a specific voice bank intended for general consumers rather than music industry professionals.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
old_yoshi wrote:
Wow! Its great to be quoted so often!
So I should clarify:
1. In English? subbed not dubbed - I was joking here. Apparently not everyone got it. But I'll be really annoyed if they start translating Miku songs into English and not have her mouth parts moving in sync.

Miku is the "demo" character for the software. If you program the software correctly, the mouthflaps will match just fine.

old_yoshi wrote:
2a. not relevant to anime culture - Yah! Gibson might be relevant to computer culture, science culture, sci-fi book culture, but not so much anime culture. I think we've progressed past the cyberpunk era (or at least hope so). Anyway its just my opinion.
2b. I didn't say he didn't influence anything. I said he was not relevant to anime culture. There is a difference.

Wrong. Gibson references anime and manga in quite a few of his books, so that makes him relevant to anime culture.

old_yoshi wrote:
3. STFU - This is my response to making Miku less "anime". If Gibson wants a vocaloid he should make his own and do what he wants with it. I prefer Miku as "anime". Status Quo.

I'm almost afraid to tell you this, but the software is already evolving. I heard talk in Japantown SF that there were "lifelike" versions of the Miku demo in the works.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm almost afraid to tell you this, but the software is already evolving. I heard talk in Japantown SF that there were "lifelike" versions of the Miku demo in the works.
It's called Vocaloid3 and Vocaloid-Flex. But Miku will always be Miku the girl who resembles an anime character. There are renditions of Miku with more western stylizations and those can also be called Miku but otaku and hard-core Miku fans are the shareholders of her collective characterization.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
yblees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Quote:
Right, Vocaloids are music creation software. Hatsune Miku is the character that represents this particular product.
To be more precise Hatsune Miku is the character who represents the Vocaloid2 Character Vocal Series. Vocaloid existed before Miku was created, but her creation came about when they decided to attach a face and image to a specific voice bank intended for general consumers rather than music industry professionals.

I see. So Hatsune Miku is like an interface for the music creation software?
Gibson's Idoru is more of a virtual entity that changes according to feedback from fans - not really the same thing. It's possible Gibson confused the vocaloid with something similar to his idoru concept.

Does Hatsune Miku "evolve" from fan feedback? Or is the basic software static, and fans use it to create their own performances?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
yblees wrote:
I see. So Hatsune Miku is like an interface for the music creation software?

No the software itself and whatever PC it's installed on is the interface. Miku is simply the face and the name attached to the specific voice module you've chosen. When Vocaloid became widely available public software they created the imagery of Miku and the other vocaloids to market it and provide a means for consumers to identify it, like the cover of a DVD, book or video game, etc.

It just so happened that Miku the character herself became so popular that now we have other products and services besides just the Vocaloid software that uses Hatsune Miku as a sort of brand name.

yblees wrote:
Does Hatsune Miku "evolve" from fan feedback? Or is the basic software static, and fans use it to create their own performances?
The software is developed independently of Hatsune Miku herself, but users of the software create demand for improvement and expansion of the product. The creative output seen as Hatsune Miku videos and songs is limited by the technology available, so its the evolution of Vocaloid and other technologies that will determine how real a virtual idol she will become. Fortunately, it's our imaginations that are limitless.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
yblees wrote:

The latter, although the software does get updates. Fans use the software to create their own songs (or cover songs.)
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I like how people claim to understand what anime is and then go and say that it is it's own 'genre.'

I mean... how do you have 'less anime' in something? Does that even make sense?

That's like looking at a painting of a tree and saying "it needs less tree." What the heck is that?
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it should also be noted that Gibson also posted anther tweet regarding Miku not too long ago stating:

"Hatsune Miku is clearly a more complex phenomenon than I initially assumed. Requires further study."

http://twitter.com/GreatDismal/statuses/5370144318558208

Last edited by sailorsean on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

That's like looking at a painting of a tree and saying "it needs less tree." What the heck is that?
Just because Gibson influenced so much anime doesn't mean he himself is an anime fan. I interpret his comment as something along the lines of a Van Gogh fan looking at a Picasso painting and saying, "it needs less Picasso."
It's just a preference of styles.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Gibson meant more development on the technology, less on the anime fanaticism.
yblees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I like how people claim to understand what anime is and then go and say that it is it's own 'genre.'

Gibson was making a pun (kind of joke play on words that doesn't always make logical sense). Rez is the name of a character in his book about a virtual pop star. To be specific, Rez is the lead singer in the fictional band "Lo/Rez" and married the computer "idol" (pop star) in his book.
The key words here are "more rez", because people automatically think "low rez" (lo/rez) - get it?
Hope that helps....

Last edited by yblees on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
yblees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
yblees wrote:

The latter, although the software does get updates. Fans use the software to create their own songs (or cover songs.)

In other words, Gibson's Idoru concepts still remains a figment of his own imagination Laughing Laughing
Sorry, couldn't resist.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
I think it should also be noted that Gibson also posted anther tweet regarding Miku not too long ago stating:

"Hatsune Miku is clearly a more complex phenomenon than I initially assumed. Requires further study."

http://twitter.com/GreatDismal/statuses/5370144318558208

Yep. I knew that it would interest him.

In fact, the University that employs my husband is very interested in the tech behind it and how it could be used in other applications.
zalas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
For those of you who don't follow the CEO of Crypton on Twitter, he has requested that people start linking to the official English website for Hatsune Miku: http://www.crypton.co.jp/mp/pages/prod/vocaloid/cv01_us.jsp
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4