• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You VII: Adviewnt Children

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Scythe_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
"death of the author" is a theory of criticism, not how you criticize literature. Some people such as V and I don't believe in death of the author, while I can't answer for V I simply see it that instead of searching for the true intention of a story "death of the author" is simply inserting your own bias into the series. You have a tendency to find what you want to find.

Actually, you hit the nail on the head, CharredKnight. I see "Death of the Author" as often (not always but quite often) just an excuse for "Did Not Do The Research".

Wish I knew what Death of the Author was Confused
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
It's Roland Barthe's theory that the author and his work are separate from one another and the author's life or influences shouldn't be taken into consideration. ( I bet I screwed that up somehow)

I certainly don't believe that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firehawk12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
On the flip side, utter devotion to authorial intent is just as untenable a position to take. Certainly when authors make a point out of "trolling" their readers.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
scottfrye wrote:
@agila61 Why can't we do both? Doesn't hurt to let them read about it and to check it out if what they read seems interesting. Point them to info about the show (or just tell them) and where they can legitimately watch it.

We most certainly can and should do both: "strategic" does not mean "we don't need anything but that".
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
You shouldn't take either extreme when it comes to how an author came up with his work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ornette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
It's also important to remember that in the context of Evangelion, the "Author"'s own statements require much interpretation, considering that over the course of the 15+ years of (very little) written statements and interview transcripts from Hideaki Anno related to the show, he seemingly contradicts himself and is mostly vague and cryptic. His staff however, has more statements, that also seemingly contradict each other and require a bit of interpretation just to make it jive together. There's also a lot of supplemental materials, like episode drafts, unused scenes, storyboards, theatrical programs, the NGE2 game's CI, etc. that still don't completely agree with each other (or in some cases, even with itself). Throw into the mix that these statements are almost always in Japanese, and sometimes one translation seems to imply something another translation doesn't.

This isn't really a clear case of a death (or not) of said author. It's not to say that there aren't statements that leave little room for interpretation (e.g. origins of the characters names) that are pretty explicit.

The Tsurumaki statement given at the 2001 Otakon interview is that "There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool." Is he saying that there is zero meaning whatsoever in the visual symbols? Or is he saying that there is simply no "Christian" (or religious in general) meaning? Some people think it's the former and some the latter.

Last edited by Ornette on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow.... so, when I was between the 30min and 45min marks and reading the forum, I was like "WTF is everybody arguing Evangelion in here, there's this interesting discussion on anime fandom that is going untouched". But then, you hit the back half of the thing and ... yikes.

OK, so _V_, one thing here. You're a Lord of the Rings fan, cool, so is my wife, but you're bringing WAAAAYYYYY too much baggage to this discussion. Honestly, with half an hour to go in the conversation I was thinking, you could take Zac's audio out of the thing and a person might wonder if this was a discussion about Evangelion or "Lord of the Rings".

_V_, you are OBVIOUSLY a literary fan, PROBABLY an overly academic, literary fan. I'd suggest to you that more than 90% of anime fandom are NOT literary/academic fans, heck I'd suggest probably 98% of anime fandom are not those fans. And just trying to "clearly explain" things isn't going to MAKE them literary fans. That's the discussion that makes "mainstream" people think "anime is for nerds", and then they go back to waving their glowsticks and veg'ing out playing Halo.

I agree with your 90s era comics industry analogy, but I think you drew the wrong conclusion there. Anime had it's fad years and now the fad is something else.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
"death of the author" is a theory of criticism, not how you criticize literature. Some people such as V and I don't believe in death of the author, while I can't answer for V I simply see it that instead of searching for the true intention of a story "death of the author" is simply inserting your own bias into the series. You have a tendency to find what you want to find.

Actually, you hit the nail on the head, CharredKnight. I see "Death of the Author" as often (not always but quite often) just an excuse for "Did Not Do The Research".

I would say the opposite.

If I interpret something one way and someone says "No, you're wrong" they're more likely to whip out "The author said..." instead of debating using material from within the work.

Art is subjective. Saying "No, I meant..." removes the subjectivity. I would debate that this sudden lack of subjectivity makes the work of art solely a product of consumption. A painting is only a pretty drawing when there is only a single solid interpretation enforced by the painter.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
By the way, I'm glad I'm not the level of fan that feels compelled to "do the research" I love anime, but people have basically made a second job out of pouring over things like Eva and Yamato. Good for them, but not me.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
After about 45 minutes of listening to that V guy I stopped-it was like listening to funeral durge. What is his problem? Anime isn't classical liiterature or masterpiece theater-it's popular entertainment. I watch it to be entertained-same reason I read a good book.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
To be fair to V, anime isn't all explosions and mindlessness either.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

You can definitely go too far in both extremes, which is not good, but I really REALLY dislike this "Did Not Do the Research" idea. Don't you think that if you can't process a work of art/literature without "research, " that work has utterly failed? Context can be important, but the work should be able to speak for itself. Why bother consuming the work in the first place? It's like buying a puzzle only to have the person who made it solve it for you.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I have no illusion that anyone really plans to license anymore SRW.

It happened once so it could happen again. I'm guessing it did sell for them because half of those DVD's are damn hard to find. I'd buy an R1 release of The Inspector day one.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow that would be so cool to take people on tours! I would love to work for them! Having been there many times it would be really neat! I wish they were recruiting or something Anime hyper
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Why bother consuming the work in the first place? It's like buying a puzzle only to have the person who made it solve it for you.

I don't think your analogy is quite right. Context isn't solving a puzzle for you, it is merely stating what sort of a puzzle it is.

And I get sad when people read Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince and think the author was a ruthless guy, when in fact the treatise was a work of satire.

You've got to have context.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10