• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Historia Lessons

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
It also bears noting that all of the novels are "All Ages", meaning that you won't be finding any sex scenes.

Yet, if they're anything like their anime adaptions, contain more gore than your standard American horror film. "All Ages" lol

Ya, the PS3 port alone is getting a 17+ age rating

Not really family friendly in some scenes.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I never understood the popularity and critical acclaim behind Golden Sun. I played the first one years ago, and while it was moderately enjoyable (enough so for me to beat it), I found the story and characters to be bland and forgettable and the battle system to be overly simplistic. In the end I didn't end up caring enough about it to get the second game. I guess the theory that it gained its popularity by filling a niche is as good as any. Early reviews seem to indicate that the Western press is less receptive to Golden Sun's traditional JRPG tropes now than they were 6-7 years ago, as they're now criticizing it for flaws that I always felt to be present. I wonder how the original games would have been received if they'd come out after the GBA was flooded with 16-bit RPG ports?

I've replayed both GS 1 & 2 so many times I understand the flaws you complain about. However, at least for me, I loved how the games felt so huge and cohesive, especially The Lost Age. I have yet to encounter another RPG that does that for me. I'm only hoping that GS3 replicates that. Very Happy
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
SWERY HUNTER will be a great game so long as they continue the idea of an "unrelated inner monologue" button to press while you play.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Just to clarify, Umineko and Higurashi aren't Visual Novels, but Sound Novels, the clear difference being that there aren't any choices or story branches (beyond the new chapters in the series released at each Comiket). It also bears noting that all of the novels are "All Ages", meaning that you won't be finding any sex scenes.

And the Higurashi series had its own fighting game, that being Higurashi Daybreak (which also got a port to the PSP and is quite fun).
VN and sound novels are the same thing, the difference being to do with the trademark. Chunsoft own Sound Novel, Leaf/Aquaplus made the Visual Novel series.
VN gets used as sound novel is trademarked and out of respect to Shizuku (the first of the series by Leaf).
"all ages" has the normal meaning, it's not R-18. It's doujin and a PC game, it's not going to be rated externaly. Also it has next to no images, all the gore is in text, which might make it rate lower anyway.

Was actualy surprised 07th expansion seem to be making this themselves not doing it with tasfro as they made Daybreak official.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:08 am Reply with quote
Very, very small aside. Spelunker HD actually has up to six-player multiplayer, as per the official preview on PSN. I stumbled across it on the PS Store last night while grabbing the Gundemonium Collection for half price and Crescent Pale Mist.
It has great graphics, but that cruel gameplay is definitely not for me.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:21 am Reply with quote
Sound novels also tend to focus more on the audio than the visuals as well, hence the limited artstyle.

Excited to hear about an Umineko fighter. I've already seen Beato in MUGEN, so it should at least amuse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Sound novels also tend to focus more on the audio than the visuals as well, hence the limited artstyle.

Excited to hear about an Umineko fighter. I've already seen Beato in MUGEN, so it should at least amuse.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OGONmusoukyoku

There's 4 gameplay videos and the opening scene

So far everyone has been shown at least once.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Last Story: I know people are gushing over how cool it looks and the gameplay being pretty decent as well as a story that may not be as cliched as most predict, but I wonder if we're truly, honestly going to get this.

Lord of Arcana: Ooooh, Todd McFarlane! His dragon designs are killer! That aside, wow pretty bloody game I have to say. I guess they want to go for realistic fantasy violence for this one.

Spelunker HD: Does the hero die in gruesome ways when he gets hit or is it cartoony?

Quote:
Siliconera's trademark sleuthing revealed that Taito re-registered both Lufia titles in the U.S.

Yes! I was wondering when they'd put Lufia on the Virtual Console. Now this made my day Very Happy

Criminal Girls: I just really can't say anything positive about this one. I think it's going to bomb, but I'm sure some people will probably use it as wank material.

Precure: To be honest, I was actually trying to watch Precure (Precure 5) back when I was in South Korea; there was little else on their stations to keep me interested or sane. Other than working around their dub of it, I wasn't able to stay interested. Maybe because I expected it to be a bit darker when I saw the villains. As for this game, yeah retarded YouTube smartass punks will try too hard to be funny with it. They'll probably make them say "over 9000" and "dinner" or some other tired out thing.

Radiant Historia: I have a good feeling about this game. Maybe it's about time I consider getting a DS. On that note about Radiata Stories, if you could control someone other than Jack, than most players would just use Elwyn or Lenneth to destroy everything in seconds. Personally, there are a few characters I would have loved to play as XP
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the tip on Spelunker. I'm a sadist, so I'll check it out.

(I remember Necrid)
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
It also bears noting that all of the novels are "All Ages", meaning that you won't be finding any sex scenes.

Yet, if they're anything like their anime adaptions, contain more gore than your standard American horror film. "All Ages" lol

Ya, the PS3 port alone is getting a 17+ age rating

Not really family friendly in some scenes.

The PS3 port will be getting that rating because unlike the PC versions, if I understand correctly, it will actually show the gore. In that sense it will be more of a visual novel than a sound novel since it will put a much larger focus on the visual aspect. The original games never had anything of the sort. The only graphics in the original games were the backgrounds, the primitive character art, the witches' portraits and images that implied gore but weren't really gory in themselves. All of it was written and you were forced to construct the images in your head based on the descriptions given to you, even the fight scenes were like that. I wouldn't recommend it for a 10 year old, mainly because they wouldn't get it, but there's nothing in there they shouldn't be seeing since there's nothing to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2