• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - NERVous Breakdown

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Quark wrote:
On the Directors Cut DVDs, the trailer for episode 25 is a bunch of storyboards, and they're actually all parts from EoE. This would explain why it seems that Misato and Ritsuko die in the same way in both the TV series, and EoE.
A pedantic nitpick/clarification here. I actually went and rewatched that particular preview to refresh my memory, but those were actually animatics. It had some rough key animation (like Mitsuo Iso's scene with Unit 02's fight) along with some finished key animation that looks like it's already been in-betweened.

Oh man, you're totally right. I forgot completely that the preview was roughly animated. Honestly, my knowledge of film/animation terminology is shoddy at best. Thanks for the clarification.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
A particularly interesting thing about Evangelion fandom is that although I'm fascinated by the show, I generally find it hard to talk about with people, particularly newer fans and even seasoned fans who haven't familiarized themselves with NGE2's "Classified Information" and such, because the disagreements that arise so easily lead down a dark path. (That sentence structure was more ambiguous than I intended. I meant to mean the arising disagreements easily lead down a dark path, not that disagreements arise easily. Though they do.)

It was weird for me to see V become this big presence of sorts, since I just thought of him as another member of the EvaGeeks forums until the events which led to him being banned. I do feel sort of bad about saying things to him that could be considered mean, since he does seem to feel he's in the absolute right and such, but... You know.

The schism between opposing factions of Evangelion fandom has gotten pretty ridiculous. I now try my absolute hardest not to say anything in regards to interpretations unless I can back it up concretely with an official statement or an unambiguous line from the show (of which there aren't many). There's also a lot of clashing about whether or not the new movies are any good that's resulted in outright hostility. Just Asuka's name change resulted in an enormous level of rage. I try to avoid those arguments but sometimes end up getting sucked in because Evangelion.

By the way, Sean McCoy gave me his email address at Fanime 2009 because he wasn't familiar with NGE2's Classified Information and wanted to learn more, but I promptly forgot it. Aw.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
great discusion, it realy reminded me why I love this show so much, it makes me want to go and revisit it, but who has the time around the holidays, I could watch the 2 films, but funimation is bringing it out next year so Id feel bad, soooooo uhhhh yeah. eva's great and such
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pretty big fan of Eva, it still appeals to me even now as I turn 30 as it did when I turned 16. And with the discussion today, I find my enthusiasm for the movies have just increased yet again. Hopefully these discussions can turn into a genre specific or even show specific discussions, since I really enjoy these informative podcasts and industry podcasts can only be so interesting without wearing thin and become tedious. (Unless you guys get an all ADV show going on so we can go through their rise and fall. Probably won't happen though.)

In regards to the Sadamoto manga, while it does take a ludicrous amount of time between chapters, I find it to be a great alternative telling of the story, especially around the midpoint of the story, since we get a different take on Toji's story, Shinji's differing reactions to the things around him, we get Kaji's backstory, and a more fitting introduction to Kaworu, kitten killing and all. I think Vol 11 is the most recent one released in America, so I guess maybe we should be approaching the endgame now?

Great podcast as usual, keep it up!
xnanax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this. Eva is definitely my favorite anime ever. I have plenty of other favorites, but Eva is the only anime I've watched tons of times. And its still very meaningful and holds its impact for me.

Last year about this time I got a not great but at least watchable subbed theater rip of Rebuild 2.0. I watched it and was so captivated and had this excitement and by the end this emotional reaction to it. It brought it me back to when I was 13 (in 2002) and was searching my house trying to find where my mom hid the boxset from me so I wouldn't get into it before Christmas (I was with her when she bought it & the 2 movies). I eventually found it and everyday after school I'd take one of the dvds out and watch it. I was a pretty lonely kid at the time, so I felt really connected to the characters and their emotional issues.

I never get giddy about anime anymore, I enjoy it, I watch it. But Eva is the only show that has continued to make me excited, I was pretty much shaking as I watched the final part of 2.0, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I never thought things were going to take that shift. And I didn't think a story I've known so well for so long would leave me so furious and concerned and leave my mind yet again going What the hell is going to happen next?!?!

I also always loved that Eva refuses to give you everything. You have to come to your own conclusions about it.

Anyways, I enjoyed the podcast. I like to hear discussions about Eva every once an while. I avoid message boards with the all the Eva debates and such. My own conclusions will never match up with other peoples so I avoid the headaches of people arguing about it. lol.
starvtwalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
I don't really listen to the podcasts, but when I saw it was Eva related, I decided to listen to the whole thing. On the whole, pretty interesting. There were some things I had not considered, such as the religious imagery argument by Carl in relation to the characters in the actual story, so that was pretty great.

Most of it was just fun to listen to people talking about things I know and agree with, like the wonderful character examinations and the issue of disgust and self-disgust.

On the question of when was there a noticeable shift, or when did people start paying attention as opposed to regular anime, I definitely paid attention after episode 2 since episode 1 in relation to the series as a whole is so messed up. Just think about all of the happy patriotic music in the first episode in relation to every single other episode, and it is probably the biggest mind screw and fake out of any show, let alone anime, I have ever seen. Beyond that, it would be episode 3 would Shinji in the Eva along with Tohji just going absolutely berserk telling himself he cannot run away and just pounding at the angel with his time run out but still pulling it over and over. That definitely was a big wow for me.

The only thing I was disappointed about in this talk was no one talked about how the show seems to be pretty life affirming. They mention that the TV show was supposed to be happier than the movie, but I found the movie extremely positive. Shinji chooses life over LCL "paradise" or whatever that was. Shinji, the whole world is messed up and we are all disgusting creatures me most of all, chooses life. I cannot think of a more life affirming action or film than End of Evangelion. Just awesome.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:
Well, I knew this thread was going to be an enjoyable train wreck, but I figured it would be a battlefield of partisan sniping rather than a bunch of people talking about how much Eva sucks and therefore how much this podcasts sucks.

Maybe it's just that some weren't all that excited about another week of EVA sniping. However, Zac sufficiently explained why we get two weeks in a row, so ok. He did promise a future "ban" on ANNCast in future eps on this subject, so that is fair enough.

I don't think the show (EVA) was all that bad, I just don't idealize it like some people do. My problem is not so much with the show, it is the fan-dom. I've participated in too many interesting threads, only to have them hijacked and de-railed by overly zealous EVA fans. I've learned to try to avoid them. Not ALL EVA fans are this way, sure. But the EVA fan-dom doesn't really do a lot to help draw in new fans, and actually alienates many (like me).

One point that was raised near the end of the podcast was - if Anno is just making these films and introducing the new character just to sell character goods to raise money for a future project. This was painted as a bad thing, but I don't really see why. Isn't it fairly standard practice to make money on a sure thing in order to fund future projects? Why is that bad? I, for one, would be very interested in seeing a totally new project from him...

Last edited by tuxedocat on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
So much for my vain wish in last week's thread that people would just get over Eva already. Razz That aside, this should be fairly interesting to sit through.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
This show is missing something without V. pretty good panel discussion, though.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
If I was to sum it up in a word, I agree with Zac. Evangelion is about depression and negative emotion.
---------------------------------------------------
I think the distinction between Rei and the others is that the others are disgusted with themselves where as Rei more so sees herself as worthless. She doesn't want to exist where as the others have more of a conflicted feeling on the matter, wanting to exist while simultaneously hating their existence. I don't know, Rei is probably the most mysterious character to me. With the others, it definitely seems to come down to a core issue of self-disgust regardless of the varied reasons for that and ways they respond. With Rei though, I'm not sure.
Regarding the religious symbolism: Sometimes a cigar is just a giant cross shaped explosion crucifying a robot in space.
I'm not sure how this applies to Eva. However, the distinction I see between religious based impossibilities and science based impossibilities is this: I can accept a world where giant humans don't collapse under their own weight because there aren't really any significant implications that follow in such a world. I have trouble accepting a show that introduces Christian religious elements because introducing such elements by implication brings a whole lot of baggage with it. It doesn't really make any kind of sense to assume that it ends with just this one element. It suggests drastic implications for the world.
I view the endings as convergent. I don't think there's really anything contradictory in the two. End of Eva fleshes out the actual plot but somewhat skims over the study of instrumentality. The TV ending only hints at most of the actual plot but explores the issue of instrumentality in much greater detail. I don't view the actual endings as different in tone. I think they both suggest a tiny sliver of hope following a sea of hopelessness. I think the latter part is more difficult to pick up on in the TV ending but it's still there. The only difference is that EoE makes the latter part a little more apparent.
I don't think you're ever intended to sympathize with Gendo. I think that the point is to make him a real person, a horrible person yes, but at least a real person as opposed to some kind of unreal evil caricature.
Aww. I want an Eva figure with real blood squirting action!
Fellistowe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:39 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I mean, if you look at the climax of End of Eva, rather than a kind of christian apocalypse, thematically it kind of plays out almost like the Japanese creation myth playing in reverse. With the Lance of Longinus taking the role of the jeweled spear of heaven used by Izanami and Izanagi to create the world from a sea of mud...only this doing the opposite effect.

Great you just gave me the mental image of Gendo washing his left nostril and creating humanity :/ (or if it's reversed, sucking them all in...)

As for the podcast, I'd listened to the 2 hour extra last week and this show this week, and I have very little knowledge of the people or drama linking them together.
One I'd say was a very interesting and informative discussion on several knowledgeable peoples interpretations of Eva, rich in discussion and intelligent debate which has got me interested again in a franchise I'd left behind years ago.
The other was a monologue of one persons personal views punctuated with pointless and irrelevant quotes which, while he had some interesting views I couldn't take seriously.
The contract between the two podcasts is a lesson in itself.

My thanks to Carl, Aaron and Zac for a great podcast and reawakening my interest in Eva Wink
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Gainax put the religious symbols in Eva because they were cool. They don't have meaning in that world. That's what made Evangelion such a beast. The fans took it in completely different directions, for all the wrong reasons which is hilarious.

I've been an anime fan for 3 decades. Why would you focus on one anime? There is so much more. You are landlocking yourself into thinking that is what anime is.

"What other title can i go to after this?" "That is like Eva?" There is nothing else. Because anime isn't what you think or made it out to be. Hows that miserable 15 years later? You got Eva rebirth 1.1? 2.2? Congrats. You are living in the past.

Bottom line. Gainax makes stories and moves on. Their history proves that. It's the fans that made Eva out to be, what it's not.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
yeah i agree that the religious symbols in eva don't mean anything other than cool. sometimes people just like to make up things.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
Gainax put the religious symbols in Eva because they were cool. They don't have meaning in that world. That's what made Evangelion such a beast. The fans took it in completely different directions, for all the wrong reasons which is hilarious.

I've been an anime fan for 3 decades. Why would you focus on one anime? There is so much more. You are landlocking yourself into thinking that is what anime is.

"What other title can i go to after this?" "That is like Eva?" There is nothing else. Because anime isn't what you think or made it out to be. Hows that miserable 15 years later? You got Eva rebirth 1.1? 2.2? Congrats. You are living in the past.

Bottom line. Gainax makes stories and moves on. Their history proves that. It's the fans that made Eva out to be, what it's not.

Wow, you make that sound like such an awful thing. There's nothing negative about liking something for a real long time or even attributing it as a sort of corner stone or focus for your fandom.

And you're talking about Eva fans as if they're all like V-guy or something, which is totally untrue. I think your just painting an entire fandom just on a few isolated incidents which don't really happen any more except for the little warring between those two Eva sights.

I find it ironic that you're saying all that considering your avatar. How old is Sailor Moon again? By your logic you should totally have a PreCure avatar instead .

I'm just saying this as a guy who used to be hugely obsessed with Eva and has moved on, but still enjoys the new movies and good, civil discussion or two
rti9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Terrific episode. It's been a long time since I last heard a serious discussion about Evangelion and it was really great to break the spell with such a rich and civilized conversation about it.

I side with the convergence theory camp.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5