• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
I haven't regretted a single cent I've spent on those, except for the UPS shipping on the third(I bet I would've gotten it by now had I used USPS priority...). The booklets are quite interesting and the posters aren't too shabby either.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
Fedpo wrote:
I'm highly, HIGHLY debating whether or not I should buy the Puella Magi Madoka Magica limited edition volumes. They're really expensive, but I could afford it... Ugh... I just can't decide. Sad And I don't even know how I would explain an expense like that to my parents. If I do end up buying them, I'll have to come up with a plan to avoid suspicion... Twisted Evil

Only buy them if you are a extremely avid fan of the show!! They offer the lower tier sets for the fans that want the episodes and nothing else. The limited sets are for the ones that want to experience every tiny bit Madoka Magica has to offer. It would be complete BS if Aniplex made everyone buy the limited sets and nothing else. They did a good job.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
I actually went with the limited edition originally because I wanted both the DVD and the Blu-ray(I could only play the former at the time but was thinking about getting a Blu-ray drive - which I eventually did).

EDIT: Removed venting. Sure, <insert>, but that's no reason to whine here.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
That's a perfectly good buying point as well. Instead of buying both the DVD and BD volumes, you can get a nice box and supplemental material for $5 more. I'm not the biggest fan of the combo package initiative, but it does have its uses. I've heard of people using the DVDs as lender copies. The combo packages had a small push in Japan during the early days of the BD. I think it was solely ment to demonstrate the superior quality of the high-definition content to the viewer when compared to the DVD (ie Bandai Visual's box releases of Ghost in the Shell and the Patlabor films) I remember reading this in an interview with a BV representative but cannot find a source... I think its become popular in North America because it saves shelf space in stores and only one SKU is needed per product.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
I can see where the combo packs would do well in the US as well, if only for how indecisive and/or impulsive Americans can be.

On the indecisive side, if you only have a DVD player, and the two came out separately, you'd be all "I can buy it now... but what if I upgrade to BD?" and end up not buying it to wait to see if you get a BD... and then risk it not being available (or, on the companies' side, that it goes down in price and they don't make as much money off of you).

On the impulsive side, it would encourage you to buy the combo pack, regardless of having a BD player, and so you may be more likely to pick up a BD player when it's on sale, and then start dipping into the BD-only releases (or double-dipping to replace your DVD collections).

Other than removing an avenue for you to double-dip, it's a pretty win situation for companies, releasing the combo pack.
Fedpo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Fedpo wrote:
I'm highly, HIGHLY debating whether or not I should buy the Puella Magi Madoka Magica limited edition volumes. They're really expensive, but I could afford it... Ugh... I just can't decide. Sad And I don't even know how I would explain an expense like that to my parents. If I do end up buying them, I'll have to come up with a plan to avoid suspicion... Twisted Evil

Only buy them if you are a extremely avid fan of the show!! They offer the lower tier sets for the fans that want the episodes and nothing else. The limited sets are for the ones that want to experience every tiny bit Madoka Magica has to offer. It would be complete BS if Aniplex made everyone buy the limited sets and nothing else. They did a good job.

Is it enough that I just watched the first four episodes on Crunchyroll and feel like I'm going to die from how much I'm loving this show? Does the quality continue? If so, I'm definitely buying it.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Fedpo wrote:
Does the quality continue?

Yes, and I'd say the show gets better. The first four episodes introduce the story, but the rest really dig into the material.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Fedpo wrote:
Does the quality continue?

Yes, and I'd say the show gets better. The first four episodes introduce the story, but the rest really dig into the material.

Those limited sets are totally for you. That show has so much artist merit its crAzy.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Lots of things are looking promising for this summer.

-Gundam Converge Set 7
-Bunny Drop Limited-Edition-whatever-they-are-actually-calling-it
-Anohana Limited-Edition-blah-blah-blah

More importantly for me, I'm saving up my funds for the silent and live auctions at AWA this year in case something juicy appears.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Recently I was looking over my figure collection, and I came across the two FREEing Bunny Girl figures from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya that I owned (Mikuru and Yuki) and decided I needed the rest of the girls. So, I hunted down Kyon's Sister, since she's fairly difficult to find, and now I have 3 more I want to buy. The next one in line will likely be Ryoko Asakura, because she's also difficult to find at a fair price and because I really like the blue bunny girl costume she's wearing. After that I'll likely go with Tsuruya (had I been an active collector when these were coming out, I'd have nabbed her for sure since she's my favorite character in the show) and then finally finish off with Haruhi herself. Figured I best take care of this now, because they were released in 2008 I believe, and they're certainly not getting any easier to find as time goes on. Nor any cheaper.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not considering on buying this, but others might once they see it.

COSPA is reprinting their Madoka dakimakura with a tentative release date of August 2012. Amiami
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
That's gotta be the tamest one I've ever seen.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

The two Madoka dakimakura from COSPA have been comparatively tame.

This is the Homura one that's being re-released at end of the month - Amiami
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

It always seems like the ones not based on eroge or hentai usually aren't very risque. At least that's how it seems to me, can't say I've seen a lot of dakimakura, especially official ones. Doujin dakimakura are a whole other story.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
It never occurred to me that And Yet the Town Moves would be something I'd be interested in (maid cafe, and so on), until I watched a little bit. And found it delightful and appealing.
So it's gone on my TRSI "save for later" list. Which means I'm definitely going to buy it, but considering how long that list is it might be a while!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 73 of 132