• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
I'd like to vote for the following:

Taiga from Toradora

Homura from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

I disagree with marie-antoinette's take on Homura.

spoiler[Chronologically speaking, Homura begins as a weak, impressionable middle schooler who is pulled into the battle against witches and Walpurgisnacht.

After seeing Madoka die before her eyes, she steels herself, hardens her heart, and takes on the burden of multiple magical girls on herself. This is likely redundant, but she is mature beyond her (apparent) age.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
Voting for:

Kyouko (Skip Beat)

Vote against:

Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - I don't consider becoming a cold, unfriendly, loner to be an improvement.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
Voting against

Homura Akemi, Puella Magi Madoka Magica

For reasons stated before but to repeat, I don't feel like seeing a past version of her in a flashback in one of the last episodes of the series is enough to say she has great character development, when she doesn't change a great deal in the present timeline of the show. Certainly, it's not what I'm looking for in tournament participants, even though I love Homura dearly (she is actually my favourite character in the series).

Nomating:

I can't believe I only just thought of this one.

Shinichi Chiaki, Nodame Cantabile

Who he is: A 3rd-year piano student at Momogaoka Music Academy who, while an accomplished pianist and violinist, dreams of becoming a famous conductor. Chiaki is is also known to be a perfectionist when it comes to music and is highly critical of himself and others. He is also very callous in his attitude towards others, rarely taking their feelings into account.

How he improves: The Chiaki from the end of the series is completely different from the character who first appeared in episode one. Not only has he grown as a musician, achieving his dream of becoming a conductor and beginning a promising career, he has become a better man as well. While he is still demanding, he has learned to take other people's thoughts and feelings into consideration and he has also become significantly more flexible about what constitutes good music, realizing that perfect technique isn't the be-all, end-all. By series end, an insensitive jerk with few, if any, friends has become well-loved by the majority of the main cast, respected by pretty much all of the cast, and loved by the show's audience as well.

Picture

Also, thinking ahead question that just came to me: how are we going to approach video clips for this one? Have a baseline clip from the character's early days and then another one showing their development? Or something else entirely.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
VOTING FOR:
Youko Nakajima, The Twelve Kingdoms
Usagi Tsukino, Sailor Moon
Simon, Gurren Lagann
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora
Madoka Kaname, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Taichi Mashima, Chihayafuru
Yukino Miyazawa, His and Her Circumstances
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
Fakir, Princess Tutu
Yuu Gotou, Noein
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!

I am debating whether or not to throw a vote against Mytho. The only reason I'm not is because the criteria doesn't specify that the character needs to play an active role in his/her improvement. Mytho's revival back to spoiler[Siegfried] is mostly a passive process on his part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
That's definitely a valid argument against Mytho, though one I think would come to play against him more in the tournament itself. I'd say he best fits under the following criteria from Key's original post:

Quote:
*The character initially has an ill-defined personality but this is remedied as the title/franchise progresses.

This one puts the development less in the hands of the character themselves and more under the control of the writer (which is amusing, given that we are talking about Princess Tutu Razz).
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Some great choices here guys

Anyways voting for

Taichi (Chihayafuru)
Youko (Twelve Kingdoms)
Fakir (Princess Tutu)
Simon (Gurren Lagann)
Hikaru (Hikaru no Go)

I know someone already mentioned Rue from Princess Tutu but I think she does deserve to be in this contest more so than Mytho actually (although I won't vote against him)

Who She Is:

An advanced ballet student who has a secret she is the spoiler[crow, daughter of the Raven] or so she thinks. Throughout the story she tries to win Mytho from Princess Tutu.

How She Improves To me one of the most defining moments of Rue's character development is spoiler[after always asking Mytho to tell her he loved her, she can finally say how much she loves him. She no longer takes but gives. She goes from the role of the villianess to the role of the hero, essentially showing that the the crow can become the swan as well. ]
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Supporting

Yukari (Paradise Kiss)
Kyoko (Skip Beat)
Chiaki (Nodame Cantabile)
Rue (Princess Tutu)
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Vote for:
Youko Nakajima, The Twelve Kingdoms
Madoka Kaname, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Eva Heinemann, Monster
Simon, Gurren Lagann
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin
Fakir, Princess Tutu

Vote against:
Homura Akemi, Puella Magi Madoka Magica - As marie-antoinette mentioned, Homura really does not change much over the course of, and in the scope of, the main story. Mostly, what changes is how much we know about her, and our understanding of what she's trying to do and why she acts like she does. As much as I like the character and the show and especially episode 10 which focuses on Homura and is a super effective episode, the combination of these elements does not equate to what I consider the kind of character growth fitting of this kind of nomination. By the end of the show, Homura's goals, personality, and world view have not really changed from what they were when we were introduced to her in the first episode (though she is more likable, IMO). Honestly, if any other character from Madoka deserves a nomination, I think it would be Kyoko, but even then, in terms of actual screentime, her development is a tad bit compressed (as in, it all makes sense, but it doesn't have much time to really mature and sink in with the audience). I might nominate her, anyway.

HyugaHinata wrote:
Chronologically speaking, Homura (spoilers)

Chronologically speaking, we watched 9 episodes of the main story before we watched episode 10, which is spoiler[backstory], and then we watched 2 more episodes of the main story in which she is still mostly the same as she's been the whole show (just more emotional).
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Himari Takakura, Mawaru Penguindrum
Who She Is: The terminally ill girl who is presented to be gentle and kind. She spoiler[dies in the first episodes, but is brought back to life by a mysterious penguin hat.] Himari's brothers are ordered by the mysterious entity that has possessed their sister to find a penguindrum which is the only thing that can save their sister.
How She Improves: The first half of the series focuses more on other characters leaving Himari to be the least developed. However, as the second half of MP focuses on her, her character gains depth, and she shows a surprising amount of maturity.

Picture

Vote for:
Mima Kirigoe, Perfect Blue
Hikaru Shindo, Hikaru no Go
Fakir, Princess Tutu
Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka, Paradise Kiss
Yuu Gotou, Noein
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!
Rue, Princess Tutu
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Supporting:
Eva Heineman (Monster)
Shinichi Chiaki (Nodame Cantabile)

Opposing:
Akemi Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)- Sure the flashbacks in episode 10 allow viewers to better connect with her character. But she doesn't change much in personality and motives throughout much of the series.

Here's a question: why are folks spoiler tagging parts and even entire sections of their entries? I would have thought that with this type of tourney that posting some kind of spoiler over future developments with nominated characters would be an inevitability here and tagging entries would prevent folks from even wanting to vote for the nominee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Here's a question: why are folks spoiler tagging parts and even entire sections of their entries? I would have thought that with this type of tourney that posting some kind of spoiler over future developments with nominated characters would be an inevitability here and tagging entries would prevent folks from even wanting to vote for the nominee.

I wouldn't be voting for a nominee of a show I haven't seen, spoiler tagged or not, anyway, and I'm sure others feel the same, so better safe than sorry. For example, I just started watching Noien, so I appreciate those spoiler tags covering some paragraphs that I otherwise would have probably read out of curiosity.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
I wouldn't be voting for a nominee of a show I haven't seen, spoiler tagged or not, anyway, and I'm sure others feel the same, so better safe than sorry. For example, I just started watching Noien, so I appreciate those spoiler tags covering some paragraphs that I otherwise would have probably read out of curiosity.

It's kind of pointless to do though. The spoiler tags won't be around when an entrant gets nominated since Key will take the text from nominees and paste them into individual web pages per entrant when we start the tourney. When voting begins, voters will still need to know about the entrant to make a decision on whether they are worth voting for or not and covering entire sections of text up out of fear from spoiling would turn off folks unfamiliar with the character from even voting. Not to mention that when we do start voting, it is a requirement to vote for every match within each week of voting if we want our votes to be counted and there is the possibility that there could be matches between two anime characters that a possible voter could be unfamiliar with.

These tournaments have led voters, counting myself, to become interested in looking into new anime titles when coming across an entrant from a series we were unfamiliar with. So I wouldn't necessarily say that seeing details on said character leads folks to dread wanting to know about who and what they are voting for.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
My advice for people when nominating would be to mention things in vague enough terms that no one is spoiled, but those who are familiar with the character/series will understand what is being referenced.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
VOTE FOR:
  • Soichiro Arima (His and Her Circumstances)
  • Yuu Gotou (Noein)
  • Akemi Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
  • Reki (Haibane Renmei)

errinundra--
Yuu starts off as a whiner (and almost, but not quite, as being nihilistic). Gradually we learn his background; and -- just as gradually -- he changes. It is no coincidence that his mother also changes.

Last edited by nobahn on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
@ Galap,

Please consider the dilemma you are creating for me. I haven't seen Noein so I'm not going to read your spoilers. But... I will have to rely on your nomination if you want me to vote for Yuu Gotou. Which means that, while your nomination is entirely spoilered, I can't vote for him.

It's a dilemma for me, too. On the one hand, it's hard to vote for someone you don't know about, and you'd want to read the entry for people, but on the other hand, many people (often myself included) don't really want to see certain kinds of major spoilers about shows I plan to watch.

Yuu in particular is kind of tricky because understanding his growth is kind of inextricable from several spoilers, one of them pretty major. It would kind of be like talking about the character Sigfried in Legend of the Galactic Heroes without discussing spoiler[how his death affected Reinhard].

I guess I'll try to give a more general, but incomplete version.

Yuu starts out very depressed and aimless. He's also inconsiderate and a bit of a dick. Over the course of the show he slowly becomes much less like that and gains a sense of purpose in his life, getting more healthy attitudes about school and relationships and the like. Ultimately, he figures out who he wants to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 28